Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Anybody have any good suspending jerkbaits?

Message Subject: Anybody have any good suspending jerkbaits?
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 2/6/2024 7:29 PM (#1026236)
Subject: Anybody have any good suspending jerkbaits?

I have some jerkbaits, but I'm trying to find ones that suspend as opposed to rise. Does anyone have any good suspending jerkbaits they recommend?
oconesox
Posted 2/7/2024 6:05 AM (#1026240 - in reply to #1026236)
Subject: RE: Anybody have any good suspending jerkbaits?

The triple D and doubled by Drifter are crankbaits/jerbaits that suspend. You can use them very similar to the way you would a standard jerk bait,
mountainmuskies
Posted 2/7/2024 8:08 AM (#1026244 - in reply to #1026236)
Subject: Re: Anybody have any good suspending jerkbaits?

X-Rap 14.
BillM
Posted 2/7/2024 9:33 AM (#1026248 - in reply to #1026244)

Floating Suick with a bell sinker attached to the middle hook has been pretty deadly for me. Play with the weight of the bell sinker, I believe a 1/4oz is pretty much perfect.
pstrombe
Posted 2/7/2024 9:36 AM (#1026249 - in reply to #1026236)

We count down Hellhounds and work them over deep reefs. Caught a number of fish this way in early Nov.
mikie
Posted 2/7/2024 11:31 AM (#1026254 - in reply to #1026236)

Have you tried Manta's? m
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 2/9/2024 6:46 PM (#1026361 - in reply to #1026254)

Haven't tried mantas. I've used mostly suicks and raptors, though I do have a dyin dawg and burt. I've been debating on buying a leviathan, navin, and/or titan, but I couldn't justify it since the leviathan and navin are so expensive and I can't imagine they're that different to the other dive and rises.
mikie
Posted 2/10/2024 2:35 PM (#1026380 - in reply to #1026236)

You may need a translator, but here's a demo clip of the super shallow manta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMcRF-jX_8
You can also find one on the Hang ten (my preference). m
Ranger
Posted 2/10/2024 5:35 PM (#1026386 - in reply to #1026380)

Make your own out of floating Jakes and Grannies. Attach your leader of choice (9" 80# fluoro works for me) and loosely thread it thu the hooks. Drill a small hole in the belly, hold the lure under water in a big tub and jiggle it so air escapes. Jiggle, turn the lure over and see if it floats, stays suspended or sinks. Adjust by jiggles or shake water out till the lure wants to suspend. If the tail is first to rise but the lure otherwise tries to stay suspended, you're done. Remove the lure, set it upside down and let the surface and the hole dry. Use epoxy to plug the hole. Get a spool of fine lead thread and wrap the rear treble shank with maybe 2-3". Go back to the tub and test to see if the lure suspends "flat", neither the nose or the tail rising. Add or remove lead thread until you have it dialed in. Pull the lure, allow it to dry completely and then paint the lead thread with a few coats of nail polish. Paint the epoxy plug, too.

There you go, a suspendo crank that is a KILLER twitch bait. Killer because you can twitch the #*#* out of it and it will stall flat in the face of a follow that sped up thinking the bait is escaping. Really peees off the fish.

Last, I've fished in really low temps, like I leave the lake only when all my reels are froze up. The lures never crack from expanding frozen water inside.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(jake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jake.jpg (17KB - 15 downloads)
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 2/17/2024 3:25 AM (#1026573 - in reply to #1026386)

Ranger - 2/10/2024 5:35 PM

Make your own out of floating Jakes and Grannies. Attach your leader of choice (9" 80# fluoro works for me) and loosely thread it thu the hooks. Drill a small hole in the belly, hold the lure under water in a big tub and jiggle it so air escapes. Jiggle, turn the lure over and see if it floats, stays suspended or sinks. Adjust by jiggles or shake water out till the lure wants to suspend. If the tail is first to rise but the lure otherwise tries to stay suspended, you're done. Remove the lure, set it upside down and let the surface and the hole dry. Use epoxy to plug the hole. Get a spool of fine lead thread and wrap the rear treble shank with maybe 2-3". Go back to the tub and test to see if the lure suspends "flat", neither the nose or the tail rising. Add or remove lead thread until you have it dialed in. Pull the lure, allow it to dry completely and then paint the lead thread with a few coats of nail polish. Paint the epoxy plug, too.

There you go, a suspendo crank that is a KILLER twitch bait. Killer because you can twitch the #*#* out of it and it will stall flat in the face of a follow that sped up thinking the bait is escaping. Really peees off the fish.

Last, I've fished in really low temps, like I leave the lake only when all my reels are froze up. The lures never crack from expanding frozen water inside.

When you put the bait underwater to let it fill up, wouldn't it fill up completely and sink? Or when you go to test it, wouldn't more water come in? Wouldn't it be better to put bell sinkers on the split rings and use it that way?
Ranger
Posted 2/17/2024 11:25 AM (#1026582 - in reply to #1026573)

if the hole is very small, like 5/32", the air will bubble out only when you shake the lure upside down in the water. Likewise, the water will drip out only when you hold the lure right side up, above the tub, and shake it.

These weighted-to-suspend cranks aren't just excellent twitch baits, they troll great, too. I assume they get a little deeper, maybe with a wider wobble, not sure. But after years of trial and error I'll choose a modified over a regular every time.

For example, I spent a lot of time fishing the Menominee River in the UP. I found a spot on a spot on a spot, goldmine sez me. The spot was where, in 18' of water, heading downstream, the bottom suddenly dropped about 4', it was a rock ledge located in faster water (the river narrows in the area, on one side was a sheer bluff). I just knew there was big muskie using it to ambush baitfish passing overhead. I'll spare you all the ways I tried to hit that spot but nothing worked until I hit on trolling a weighted-to-suspend 9" Grannine. I would run upstream and pull the lure over the spot. Over and over and over and over and over, about 4 hours. I finally did everything right, and boom, I caught my PB, a wide, fat 48", at least 30#.

I've tried bell sinkers, mostly on Suicks, don't like them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)