Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Questioning Rods

Message Subject: Questioning Rods
Marley420
Posted 1/18/2024 12:33 PM (#1025786)
Subject: Questioning Rods

So I am debating to invest in maybe a new rod or two. With the expo coming up, I am interested in changing out a couple of my current rods. Currently I have 3-9ft telescopic, 1-7'6ft and they vary in action. All are Tackle Industries. When I broke into the sport about 12 years ago these rods were bought based on some reviews but primarily cost basis. Do rods have a lifespan? James was a good source for what I needed at the time. So the question is, am I missing out on some of these other companies like Chaos, Throne bros, St Croix or any others? Is this a Chevy - Ford thing? Or is it a Mustang - Ferrari thing. When is comes to more expensive rods, is components, weight, action or craftsmanship that make these rods better? Help me understand, because I really don't. I picked a few minds this summer and some were like it doesn't matter. You like what you like. Maybe I am just looking to spend money when I don't have to. Thanks again.
muskyhunter07
Posted 1/18/2024 1:53 PM (#1025789 - in reply to #1025786)
Subject: Re: Questioning Rods

Tackle Industries makes a good rod no complaints here. I run 3-4 in my rotation. They aren't the best craftmanship and have cheap eyes, sometimes the rod blank gets stuck down in the telescopic models, I think the weight rating are a little on the lighter side as well but no problems. They are #*^@ good for the price. I also run Thorne Bros Stealth rods, Which in my opinion are top shelf. The rod is completely customizable from grip to eyes and length of handle, Whatever you want Thorne will make it happen and with great quality. You are gonna pay for it though.
RobertK
Posted 1/18/2024 1:58 PM (#1025790 - in reply to #1025786)

If your rods have lasted you over 10 years, you're in pretty good shape. I don't think they really wear out. Rods just end up broken through getting stepped on, slammed in truck doors, caught in door frames, etc...

Then the question arises about whether you are happy with the length, power, and action of the rods you currently own. That's more a "quality-of-life" question. Length affects casting distance and quality of figure eights. Power and action affect casting accuracy and comfort along with ability to manipulate certain lures. If you're happy with your outcomes as they are, then there's no reason to change just to refresh your rod arsenal. If you're not sure what you're missing, ask to try out a buddy's rod to check them out. Alternatively, fish with a guide's equipment to see if a different rod will make your fishing easier or better.

My personal feeling is that rods definitely make a difference, especially if you fish a lot. Long, light, and responsive can keep me fishing longer, more effectively, and in greater comfort. But I'm happy with what I have now. I'd have to have a rod break for me to consider getting a new one.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/18/2024 2:09 PM (#1025791 - in reply to #1025786)

Sounds like you're just wanting to spend money, and there's nothing wrong with that. Here's my opinion, and there'll be plenty more to follow...

Like you, I also bought TI when I started this nonsense, but have branched out some. A guide I know tried them and was impressed with the action, but he had a St. Croix deal and didn't need to save any money. I've fished a few St.Croixs, a Throne Bros Predator, Chaos and some others. TI uses the IM 8 blank, as does Chaos and Toothtamer. I prefer the 1 piece 9 ft XH TI and Toothtamer over Chaos and St. Croix. 1 piece for weight, balance, and sensitivity, and it handles all blade sizes; 10s and 13s down to light showgirls. I prefer the moderate action of the IM-8 blank. However, if I wanted to burn a bunch of money, I'd get a custom Predator, or Legend Elite. I am sticking with Toothtamer for my new rods. Their 1 piece rods are available where I fish, and their guides are better than TI.

As for durability and lifespan, rods take a beating and some have less quality control. Set the hook on your next snag on a rock or branch to test them. I fight a few rocks for a year, and my main rods have lasted up to 10 years
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/19/2024 10:03 AM (#1025799 - in reply to #1025786)

The biggest advantage to spending a bit more is weight. We don't need sensitivity, and from what I can see durability is comparable across price points. IMO you won't even notice the weight difference that much on an 8'6" rod, but I would recommend spending the extra coin if going over 9'...the difference is very noticeable when you get to 9'6" or 10' rods. Night and day.
North of 8
Posted 1/19/2024 11:39 AM (#1025801 - in reply to #1025799)

Masqui-ninja - 1/19/2024 10:03 AM

The biggest advantage to spending a bit more is weight. We don't need sensitivity, and from what I can see durability is comparable across price points. IMO you won't even notice the weight difference that much on an 8'6" rod, but I would recommend spending the extra coin if going over 9'...the difference is very noticeable when you get to 9'6" or 10' rods. Night and day.

I have the advantage of living a little over a half hour from The Musky Shop and have been able to hold a lower cost rod in one hand and a top of the line St. Croix in the other. The weight difference is noticeable. I decided on a middle of the road rod, the Musky Shop Shield rod. But, if money was not an object the St. Croix probably would have been the choice. I'll just have keep doing triceps exercises at the YMCA ;>).
colinj8899
Posted 1/19/2024 11:55 AM (#1025802 - in reply to #1025786)

I have broken a few rods in my day that were lower on the price end. Over time, I have had a chance to buy some higher end rods. I do not regret it at all. I currently run St Croix and Throne Bros rods. They are both amazing rods and don't compare to any other rod I have in my arsenal still or have used in the past. I still have a couple Tackle Industries rods I still use and still like using them and they have been good rods. I have bought several cheaper brand rods I wont say the name or else I'll be product bashing and that is not my intention here. But none of those rods have lasted more than a 1-3 years. Some of the issues may have been my own fault as well just from attaching the bait to an eye lid and allowing the hooks to scratch the rod up on bumpy boat rides.

I do believe if you fish a lot a higher end rod is well worth it. I also believe if its in your budget buy yourself the rod you want and the rod you can afford and you will love it. I also believe the right action with the right bait and a good rod increases hooking percentages as well. Some people may not agree with that but I have definitely noticed it helping me. I bought cheap rods for the first 5 years of my muskie career and never really liked any of them but had a hard hard time spending 300 to 400 dollars or more on a rod. Once I started using St Croix and Thorne Bros rods it has been hard to go back to any other brand of rod.

I've recently slowed down on buying baits and usually invest in a new rod every show season and have slowly built up a good arsenal of rods over the last 3 years. I cant really tell you the technology behind making a rod or why an expensive rod is expensive. But in my opinion they are well worth the money.
dickP
Posted 1/20/2024 6:09 AM (#1025817 - in reply to #1025786)

Get old,get lighter and I suggest longer.On both scores IMO get Thornes.
chuckski
Posted 1/20/2024 9:25 AM (#1025823 - in reply to #1025786)

As a Baby Boomer anything is better then the short heavy glass rods of yesteryear, I have high end rods and a number of 7 foot rods that are 35 years old and still going. I've never broken a Muskie Rod (yes I've replaced guides and tip tops) When not Muskie fishing I fish a lot of ultra lights and I 've broken more then a few.
Scale Wear Design
Posted 1/20/2024 4:54 PM (#1025827 - in reply to #1025786)

Lots of great options out there for sure
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)