Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Request for Pictures and Stories

Message Subject: Request for Pictures and Stories
bloatlord
Posted 12/18/2023 2:13 PM (#1025250)
Subject: Request for Pictures and Stories

Hi everyone. I'm requesting any pics you have of your catches you'd be willing to share along with some stories about them, particularly if caught in MN. My mom is retired but recently started doing some volunteer work at local senior care home to stay busy. One gentleman there is in the middle stages of Parkinsons with it having advanced to the point he struggles with most activity. He is, however, at a stage where he is still very aware of his surroundings and has his memories. He's an avid musky angler and clearly misses it. We've been sharing our own pictures and stories with him, but we care getting close to cashed out. With your permission, we'd put your pic and story in a shutterfly book for him so that he has something to look over for the holidays. We would use them once, solely for this purpose. If you are willing to help, we'd appreciate it.
sworrall
Posted 12/18/2023 3:19 PM (#1025251 - in reply to #1025250)
Subject: Re: Request for Pictures and Stories

Great project!
mikie
Posted 12/19/2023 7:30 AM (#1025264 - in reply to #1025250)

Hi. Do you want those posted here or sent somewhere? m
bloatlord
Posted 12/19/2023 10:28 AM (#1025271 - in reply to #1025250)

Here is fine, there is absolutely no need for anyone to spend. Thank you. Seriously.
mikie
Posted 12/21/2023 4:57 PM (#1025317 - in reply to #1025250)
Subject: RE: Request for Pictures and Stories

I don't get to fish Minnesota a lot. When Muskies101.com was operating, I became buddies with a guide from up there. A year or so later I posted a request for donations to my Muskies Inc chapter and he responded with a day trip on Vermilion. He likely figured I'd be the only one to bido n it so I did win and we set up a date.
I arranged with my now-long-time buddy Mauser to go along and we arranged a layover at Papa Joe' in Mpls. From there, we took his boat up and checked in to the local motel.
The day before we left I cane down with a hideous cold and fever and it didn't really let up much during the trip., The weather was crappy and the guide started grumbling that I shouldn't go out in this. Not to let a hundred degree fever stop me, we met up the next morning and he motored to a fairly well-sheltered cove tha had a flagpole on a point near a cabin.
There was a big weedbed and abt the only thing I had that would go over the stuff was a Snowcrest Globe. Several casts later I got this fish. Netting was a real zoo since he had what looked to be a glorified walleye net. Didn't get a real clean measure but we settled on somewhere around 48 inches, my biggest fish to that day. He dropped me off into Papa Joe's boat and then he and I and Mauser fished the rest of the day. m

Edited by mikie 12/21/2023 5:00 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(vermilionbigfish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vermilionbigfish.jpg (32KB - 16 downloads)
Ranger
Posted 12/22/2023 6:34 PM (#1025349 - in reply to #1025250)

I'm wearing my MuskieFirst jacket in the Escanaba MI airport and this elderly woman comes up, pokes me in the chest with a sharp, boney finger and says, "One of those #*^@ feesh killed my husband." I immediately loved this old gal and had to find out what happened. Here's the story.....

Her husband was a dedicated musky hunter. He fished all the time and only for muskies. He had caught a bunch but never a 50". As he got older, he spent even more time fishing to get his 50", nothing else was important. Told his wife he had to get one before he died.

One day he didn't return from fishing that morning. His wife called the cops, sent them to Chicagoan Lake to take a look. They spotted his boat drifting. He was in it, dead of a heart attack, lying next to a 50" muskie.
nar160
Posted 12/22/2023 8:34 PM (#1025351 - in reply to #1025250)
Subject: RE: Request for Pictures and Stories

Hi. Finally had a chance to sit down on the computer and adjust pic sizes to fit the legacy forum.

Some memorable fish from my boat during the last monthish of the season.

First fish is a 52 x 24 that I caught October 28. About 10 days before I caught this fish I lost a very nice one at the net on the same spot. For that fish, I had a friend with who had never muskie fished, and he blew three legit opportunities at netting the one I had hooked - I mean right up to the boat, all you had to do was scoop, but he bulldozerfooted too much and then the fish would charge off. On the third time it came unpinned. Very frustrating, the kind that sticks with you for a while. In a very rare example, I actually got some redemption. One Saturday morning I was out 3-8 and stuck this giant around an hour before sunrise.

The second fish I caught with my son on Nov 20. It was in the 40s that day with low wind - a rare opportunity late fall to get him in the boat. The wife wanted us out of the house for a few hours so obviously we went fishing. I picked him up from daycare and we headed to the launch to fish 5-8. I caught this fish around 7, she measured 52 x 23.75. Orlin was very excited: "Dad, that's a realllly big fish, let's take a picture!"

The third fish my buddy caught, is the heaviest fish my boat has seen. It measured 52.5 x 24.5. It was Nov 29, much of the lake was iced up, but we had some good water to fish yet. We fished 5-1:30. Just follows up until around 10, when I caught a smaller one 42.5. Then a few minutes later he sticks this giant. Up to the surface it went and when it shook it's head, mouth open, we could see it was huge. A tense moment later it was in the net. When we were assessing the situation we noticed it had regurgitated a 15" bullhead while in the net, which was still alive! It must have just eaten it, because we tossed it over the side and it swam away - luckiest bullhead ever!

Edited by nar160 12/22/2023 9:05 PM

(52 x 24.jpg)

(52 x 23.75 with Orlin.jpg)

(52 x 23.75 with Orlin 2.jpg)

(Peter 52.5 x 24.5.jpg)

(Peter 52.5 x 24.5 long view.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 52 x 24.jpg (193KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments 52 x 23.75 with Orlin.jpg (166KB - 12 downloads)
Attachments 52 x 23.75 with Orlin 2.jpg (150KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments Peter 52.5 x 24.5.jpg (188KB - 12 downloads)
Attachments Peter 52.5 x 24.5 long view.jpg (98KB - 14 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)