Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tiger Musky

Message Subject: Tiger Musky
colejb
Posted 11/25/2023 4:29 PM (#1024839)
Subject: Tiger Musky

Anyone have much experience on here fishing just for tiger musky? I'm from CO and the only musky we have here are stocked tigers. I caught 7 this summer doing a lot of fishing and some people caught 40+ and some caught 0. I caught my pb around 43" in september!

I wanted to hear some lure recommendations? Most fish I caught were on 2" 1oz kastmasters lol. Also landed a couple on 8" glide baits. I'm very confused as to why they typically go for smaller lures?

I'm also planning on doing some tiger fishing in WA. If anyone has any experience or stories there I would love to hear.

Tight lines
mikie
Posted 11/25/2023 4:41 PM (#1024840 - in reply to #1024839)
Subject: Re: Tiger Musky

Here would be the man to talk to; he also has a podcast. m

https://www.magzter.com/stories/Fishing-Hunting/Musky-Hunter/This-Ti...

ps here is a chapter of Muskies Inc. in Washington state. The website doesn't list chapters by location any more, but here's the join form .
https://muskiesinc.org/public/miWjoin1

Edited by mikie 11/25/2023 4:48 PM
gimruis
Posted 11/27/2023 10:49 AM (#1024862 - in reply to #1024839)

I specifically target tiger muskies in some Twin Cities area lakes that are stocked with them. I've been after them since 2017 and I've put 28 in the boat during that span, with my biggest being a 41 incher. The last two seasons I've had much bigger fish on that have gotten off. I only caught 2 this past season, and went 7 times. They were both good size fish (38 and 36) but numbers was not very good.

The two most consistent patterns I've noticed when targeting them is that the bite is significantly better when its cloudy/rainy rather than sunny. Its gotten to the point where I don't even try when the sun is out.

The second item is that they are notorious for going after smaller lures. I've downsized my approach from normal muskie tackle to lures that are generally more reserved for northern pike or bass.

The most ideal water temps seem to be 65-75 degrees. I've tried fishing for them at night time a few times too, but had zero success with that.

Hope that helps.
TCESOX
Posted 11/27/2023 5:29 PM (#1024869 - in reply to #1024839)

I've been fishing a tiger lake that is 10 blocks from my house, for the last 25 or so, years. While there is a general tendency toward smaller lures, I do catch them on larger baits such as Jackpots, double 8's or 9's, large Suicks, etc. Actually, it seems like the smaller tigers go after the bigger baits, better than the larger tigers. All this is anecdotal, though. Also, on this lake, moon phase has almost no impact. Time of day is huge, however. Regardless of moon or weather, it seems that the first few hours from just before sunrise, are far and away, the best time each day. Don't fish it much at night, but never had any luck when I did. This lake has traditionally had large pike, as well, and they are never in the same places. Small pike can be caught in tiger spots when tigers are not there, but the big pike are never where the tigers are. I think this is primarily due to water temperature, however. Tigers will go shallow even when water is pretty warm, while the big pike hide in the deep. Vice versa when the water gets cold.
Clark A
Posted 12/4/2023 12:14 PM (#1025018 - in reply to #1024839)

I fish a few metro lakes for tigers. The one that we would catch one or more almost every time has become quite vacant. The stocking reports seem to be consistent through the years, but the fishing hasn't. It has also been a long time since we caught/saw one over 36". I'm wondering if the stocked tigers 20+ years ago were from female muskies and male northerns. I read that the cannibalism was greater with the female muskie/male pike vs. female pike/male muskie batches. If the MNDNR did switch it over that would probably explain the size decrease.
southern comfort
Posted 12/5/2023 9:55 AM (#1025033 - in reply to #1024839)

I fish Vilas Cty lakes most of the time (over 40 years) and I would say 20 % of the muskies I have caught are Tigers. My experience is it is usually right before or after sunrise. Top water and suicks stand out but other than that lures have tended to be downsized.
kdawg
Posted 12/5/2023 10:52 AM (#1025036 - in reply to #1025033)

Don't know what kind of structure you have in those Colorado lakes, weeds, wood , rocks? What kind of forage? Suspended fish? All factors to consider. But I agree with the others with downsized baits, particularly a chartreuse/white, 3/4oz. double willow spinnerbait. I would try a Booyah pikee or a Northland magnum reed runner slow rolled.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/5/2023 1:42 PM (#1025038 - in reply to #1025036)

The lake I used to fish weekly received a single stocking of 600 hybrids back in 1981. I started catching them with some regularity a couple years later until I stopped fishing there in 1990. Hottest part of the summer, in just a few feet of water. Never saw one any other time of the year, and never really saw them during the day, either. Seems like they came out to eat around 2:00 am.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)