Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Boat cameras

Message Subject: Boat cameras
ToddC
Posted 11/25/2023 8:58 AM (#1024838)
Subject: Boat cameras

Looking at getting a camera for the boat or to wear. What are the recommendations for someone who is new to this for using in the boat as well as deer hunting in the field? Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.
OH Musky
Posted 11/26/2023 7:48 AM (#1024845 - in reply to #1024838)
Subject: Re: Boat cameras

I have two gopro cameras I use on/off. One is attached to a yolotek pole that uses the rear light socket in the boat. The second is on an adjustable clamp/jaws that plugs into a cigarette outlet at the dash. When using them, they are both set on 20 min loops. Just need to remember to save the files once I release fish.

Biggest issue with ones worn is the battery pack. They make larger ones that should last all day but you still need to have in attached to you.
BillM
Posted 11/26/2023 10:34 AM (#1024849 - in reply to #1024845)

OH Musky - 11/26/2023 8:48 AM

I have two gopro cameras I use on/off. One is attached to a yolotek pole that uses the rear light socket in the boat. The second is on an adjustable clamp/jaws that plugs into a cigarette outlet at the dash. When using them, they are both set on 20 min loops. Just need to remember to save the files once I release fish.

Biggest issue with ones worn is the battery pack. They make larger ones that should last all day but you still need to have in attached to you.

Swap out your 12V socket with a USB port. I run my GoPros off USB power all day. No more screwing with batteries.
OH Musky
Posted 11/26/2023 7:37 PM (#1024856 - in reply to #1024849)

BillM - 11/26/2023 11:34 AM

Swap out your 12V socket with a USB port. I run my GoPros off USB power all day. No more screwing with batteries.

I use a USB adapter in the 12v outlet for both the GoPro and iPhone (I play a JBL Charge 4 all day. Casting can be boring fishing solo and the songs help me change up my tempo or cadence). I guess a dedicated multiple usb outlet would do the same thing.
BillM
Posted 11/27/2023 10:27 AM (#1024861 - in reply to #1024856)

OH Musky - 11/26/2023 8:37 PM

BillM - 11/26/2023 11:34 AM

I use a USB adapter in the 12v outlet for both the GoPro and iPhone (I play a JBL Charge 4 all day. Casting can be boring fishing solo and the songs help me change up my tempo or cadence). I guess a dedicated multiple usb outlet would do the same thing.

Yup the adapter is basically the same. I usually have a BT speaker going as well when I'm out by myself. Tough to capture those big fish on camera fishing solo sometimes.
IAJustin
Posted 11/30/2023 6:15 AM (#1024898 - in reply to #1024838)
Subject: RE: Boat cameras

ToddC - 11/25/2023 8:58 AM

Looking at getting a camera for the boat or to wear. What are the recommendations for someone who is new to this for using in the boat as well as deer hunting in the field? Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.

GoPro is ideal for in your boat or to wear to capture footage of anything 2-50 feet from the camera , for that reason a GoPro borders on terrible for most deer hunting situations , they are used often in the woods as secondary cameras pointing at yourself for hunting commentary or capture yourself shooting, if you’re interested in that. If capturing good muskie videos is the primary objective, it’s tough to beat a GoPro or 2 in the boat.
Angling Oracle
Posted 11/30/2023 12:54 PM (#1024913 - in reply to #1024898)
Subject: RE: Boat cameras

IAJustin - 11/30/2023 6:15 AM

ToddC - 11/25/2023 8:58 AM

GoPro is ideal for in your boat or to wear to capture footage of anything 2-50 feet from the camera , for that reason a GoPro borders on terrible for most deer hunting situations , they are used often in the woods as secondary cameras pointing at yourself for hunting commentary or capture yourself shooting, if you’re interested in that. If capturing good muskie videos is the primary objective, it’s tough to beat a GoPro or 2 in the boat.

Agreed. Not that great for anything at distance or in low light when a lot of hunting action happens.

However I will say if you are a bowhunter they are really useful to see what actually played out prior to and on the shot - useful for adjusting what you are doing in the same way can see what you are doing wrong with figure 8. With lumenocks you can also track exactly what the arrow did entrance and hopefully exit.

From a tracking perspective you can also use to see where to start looking for blood and direction a deer flees, picking out the correct trees which kind of get lost otherwise while in the post shot mode. Again, if blood not substantial replaying what the arrow did useful to know in how and when you should handle the tracking.

Edited by Angling Oracle 11/30/2023 12:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)