Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Dad Let's try that spot over there.
- (Added by: First Legal Hntr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> North to Alaska

Message Subject: North to Alaska
Gringo Loco
Posted 11/13/2023 11:48 PM (#1024673)
Subject: North to Alaska

I've started to build a few lures to take to Alaska in August of 2024, specifically for large halibut and lingcod. Most are patterned on some form of rockfish which are prevalent bait in the Sitka area. Since they will be fished in 200-500 feet of water I've added some super glow powder paint with epoxy to outline some of the spotted patterns. Here's the first of the batch.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN4922-1.jpg)

(DSCN4913-1.jpg)

(DSCN4911-1.jpg)

(DSCN4917-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN4922-1.jpg (95KB - 24 downloads)
Attachments DSCN4913-1.jpg (130KB - 26 downloads)
Attachments DSCN4911-1.jpg (131KB - 25 downloads)
Attachments DSCN4917-2.jpg (147KB - 23 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 11/14/2023 9:26 AM (#1024680 - in reply to #1024673)
Subject: Re: North to Alaska

I didn't know that folks fished halibut with lures, have only jigged for them with a chunk of herring on the hook. Cool looking lure. My sister lives in Alaska, worked in the sea food industry for almost 30 years and I know she really likes eating lingcod.
Gringo Loco
Posted 11/14/2023 10:56 AM (#1024682 - in reply to #1024680)

In the past I've made and used jigs and last August I caught a 51" lingcod on one of my jigs. Too bad it was just 4" too small to keep. But I've decided to expand my horizons and try drifting or trolling with some homebuilt lures. Since the lures float I'll need to add a hefty sinker and wire leader. Why not, I'm not getting any younger.
North of 8
Posted 11/14/2023 2:45 PM (#1024686 - in reply to #1024682)

Gringo Loco - 11/14/2023 10:56 AM

In the past I've made and used jigs and last August I caught a 51" lingcod on one of my jigs. Too bad it was just 4" too small to keep. But I've decided to expand my horizons and try drifting or trolling with some homebuilt lures. Since the lures float I'll need to add a hefty sinker and wire leader. Why not, I'm not getting any younger.

Because they live off grid and qualify for subsistence status, my sister and her husband can catch and keep a greater number of halibut then sport fishermen but cannot use rod and reel for subsistence fishing. Has to be set lines. They don't keep a lot, but can what they catch since they depend on solar and a generator for electric and worry about losing power for their freezer. My daughter and her husband visited them this past summer and fished with their neighbor. My son in law's biggest prior catch was a crappie ice fishing with me. He really liked catching a halibut while jigging. Of course, the setting on Icy Strait has a lot to do with the experience of fishing there.
NPike
Posted 11/19/2023 9:40 AM (#1024767 - in reply to #1024673)
Subject: RE: North to Alaska

Alaska is loaded wit trophy pike, 30 pounds isn't uncommon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)