Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Piscfun reels,,did they hold up this season???

Message Subject: Piscfun reels,,did they hold up this season???
happy hooker
Posted 11/5/2023 7:24 AM (#1024561)
Subject: Piscfun reels,,did they hold up this season???

For you guys that bought the piscfun 300-400 size reels now that the season is winding down.
Performance??
Did they hold up???
Angling Oracle
Posted 11/5/2023 12:08 PM (#1024567 - in reply to #1024561)
Subject: Re: Piscfun reels,,did they hold up this season???

I have had a 300 now for 2 seasons - not a lot of fish on it as tend use Toro Beast/Komodo 471 more, but mechanics have been fine and drag worked well on some of the bigger fish I have caught. However, did have a hard fighting musky pin me at the bow near trolling motor and could not get the spool released under tension - maybe me, maybe not (dicey windy situation), just haven't had that happen with the other reels. Left me questioning whether I would want to gamble using and possibility of getting a really big fish in same situation. I will take catfishing this spring to give it a more serious workout.

As far as other issues, the little screw in cover on end of the the reel handle knob did come off at some point - I glued it or a replacement in -- and the plastic cover on the spool release button also lost at some point - likely bouncing around in boat in transit (filled in with JB Weld). If you have one of these I would locktight both these items. The internals I would say very good as far as pulling baits and fighting fish with smooth drag - so from that perspective probably good value for $ and a good backup reel. Again my trust was tested in sort of a situation where you'd like your gear to be up to task - in that sense Komodo/Beast have been bombproof and I fully trust.

As an aside, a boat partner had a sideplate on Tranx 401 fall off into the water (gonzo). Not sure what they are thinking with just a simple push button vs have a screw or two to keep it on. Must have been someone who doesn't fish who came up with that bozo idea.

Grass
Posted 11/6/2023 11:08 AM (#1024580 - in reply to #1024561)

I've used them for several years, I think they're and incredible value. Reels have been rock solid.
kdawg
Posted 11/7/2023 9:18 AM (#1024607 - in reply to #1024580)

I also got 2 seasons on my Alijos 300. Use mine more for big pike than musky, but I would have full confidence in using the reel for muskies. The only issue I had with the reel was the small rubber insert on the thumb bar which fell off during use. I was fortunate to find it and using gorilla super glue fixed it. I agree with Grass's statement above. If your a muskie angler on a tight budget or just starting out, the Alijos series is the way to go. Kdawg
happy hooker
Posted 11/7/2023 12:13 PM (#1024610 - in reply to #1024607)

I asked a reel repair guy most of us know about these,,he said they seem to be built very well but there are no replacement parts available at this time
OH Musky
Posted 11/18/2023 3:51 PM (#1024761 - in reply to #1024561)

Actually, even though I have two 400's, I can't answer the OP's question. Since I got the first one, I've been out once. Piscifun sent me a good discount so I bought a second one that is still in the box. They are very similar in size and feel to the Lexa WN 400's I have. Played hooky Thursday after a VA appointment but trolled all day vs casting. Honey-dos and overdue yard work are keeping me off the lake this weekend (like the last 3-4).
jase2
Posted 11/22/2023 10:41 AM (#1024803 - in reply to #1024561)
Subject: RE: Piscfun reels,,did they hold up this season???

My buddy caught a 6 ft Sturgeon on his on St. Clair using Andes 85 lb test and a Steve Gould Steel Leader. It was a battle to say the least. The Piscifun held up admirably through a season of heavy use.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(darrell.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments darrell.jpg (21KB - 24 downloads)
FlyPiker
Posted 1/17/2024 10:44 AM (#1025773 - in reply to #1024567)

Angling Oracle - 11/5/2023 12:08 PM

I have had a 300 now for 2 seasons - not a lot of fish on it as tend use Toro Beast/Komodo 471 more, but mechanics have been fine and drag worked well on some of the bigger fish I have caught. However, did have a hard fighting musky pin me at the bow near trolling motor and could not get the spool released under tension - maybe me, maybe not (dicey windy situation), just haven't had that happen with the other reels. Left me questioning whether I would want to gamble using and possibility of getting a really big fish in same situation. I will take catfishing this spring to give it a more serious workout.

As far as other issues, the little screw in cover on end of the the reel handle knob did come off at some point - I glued it or a replacement in -- and the plastic cover on the spool release button also lost at some point - likely bouncing around in boat in transit (filled in with JB Weld). If you have one of these I would locktight both these items. The internals I would say very good as far as pulling baits and fighting fish with smooth drag - so from that perspective probably good value for $ and a good backup reel. Again my trust was tested in sort of a situation where you'd like your gear to be up to task - in that sense Komodo/Beast have been bombproof and I fully trust.

As an aside, a boat partner had a sideplate on Tranx 401 fall off into the water (gonzo). Not sure what they are thinking with just a simple push button vs have a screw or two to keep it on. Must have been someone who doesn't fish who came up with that bozo idea.

I lost that same screw on the reel knob.

Only other thing I would mention is that I need the casting brakes more than I do on Shimano and Avi reels. If I don't, doesn't seem to matter how well I thumb the line a backlash will come, and it usually gnarly. 2 seasons of use on a 300.
OH Musky
Posted 5/8/2024 3:28 PM (#1028313 - in reply to #1024561)

The 400's are/were on sale again. The one I have on a rod was used a lot during the Cave Run tourney. Casts very well but seems a bit more temperamental when switching lure weights. Nothing I couldn't overcome. I ordered another 8.1:1 and one 6.6:1. $122 each.
sworrall
Posted 5/12/2024 12:23 PM (#1028386 - in reply to #1024561)

It is a good product, but the 'company' was less than truthful with me, which kept me from purchasing more. For spinning reels, I moved to HH Rods and Reels, and I am very happy. Went back to my Abus for casting reels.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)