Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Battery Charging Question

Reply New post
Message Subject: Battery Charging Question
Juhas
Posted 10/13/2023 5:51 AM (#1024193)
Subject: Battery Charging Question

Was reading some where while doing research on a solar charger that DC batteries do not take a charge while being discharged. The article stated that in order for a battery to be charging there has to be no load. Has anyone heard the same?
wavridr
Posted 10/14/2023 10:01 AM (#1024209 - in reply to #1024193)
Subject: RE: Battery Charging Question

Not an expert here but, that doesn't make sense.  Your car, boat, motorcycle batteries take a charge while the engines are running while at the same time those engines are drawing power from the batteries to run those engines.
North of 8
Posted 10/14/2023 8:13 PM (#1024211 - in reply to #1024209)
Subject: Re: Battery Charging Question

That doesn't square with my experience. I came in from fishing earlier this week after dark and rather than try and transfer my suckers from the live well to a live box in the lake, left the aerator on and plugged in my onboard charger. About 12 hours later, the aerator as still running and my charger showed my starting/accessory battery was fully charged, which it was not when I plugged it in the evening before.
Juhas
Posted 10/15/2023 5:16 AM (#1024212 - in reply to #1024193)

Follow to initial question. So after talking to a battery engineer, they stated that since a solar charger has a low input you could not charge and discharge at the same time. Basically he said that if the output of the charging device was larger than the load the excess would go to charging the battery
NPike
Posted 10/15/2023 8:37 AM (#1024215 - in reply to #1024193)

it impossible to charge the battery while it's in use by a source. During this either device which has the highest voltage will be the one that's capable of charging the lower voltage unit. A simple answer your battery must have a voltage at the terminals that's lower than the voltage put out by the charger in order to change up a battery.
NPike
Posted 10/15/2023 10:52 AM (#1024218 - in reply to #1024209)

wavridr - 10/14/2023 11:01 AM

Not an expert here but, that doesn't make sense.  Your car, boat, motorcycle batteries take a charge while the engines are running while at the same time those engines are drawing power from the batteries to run those engines.

Once the engines gas has speed engine up enough for alternator to charge battery at which point the battery is a load and not a source of power.
Abu7000
Posted 10/15/2023 4:17 PM (#1024224 - in reply to #1024193)

From what I remember from my 50 plus years ago electricity instruction, it is similar to a water container that is less than full and still draining. If you begin to fill the container at a rate faster than it is draining, it will begin to fill the container, and eventually fill the entire container to full capacity. Similar to a pressure tank on a well with a pressure switch, modern battery chargers with an auto setting will stop charging when the battery reaches a full charge. Remember, I am trying to recall instruction that is 50 years old so…..
RLSea
Posted 10/15/2023 10:08 PM (#1024227 - in reply to #1024193)

To the original question - theoritically the article's statement is false. If the load on the battery (current) is less than the charging current from the solar charger, the excess will charge the battery. In practice, charging current from a solar charger is so low almost any load will prevent the battery from charging.
VMS
Posted 11/2/2023 9:46 AM (#1024521 - in reply to #1024224)

Hiya!!

Physics has not changed in thousands of years.

You still got it my friend!! Spot on analysis and connection!!

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)