Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing could ease severe mental health issues – survey

Message Subject: Fishing could ease severe mental health issues – survey
Abu7000
Posted 10/2/2023 9:47 AM (#1023982)
Subject: Fishing could ease severe mental health issues – survey

Fishing could ease severe mental health issues – survey

https://www.aru.ac.uk/news/fishing-could-ease-severe-mental-health-i...
IAJustin
Posted 10/2/2023 10:08 AM (#1023985 - in reply to #1023982)
Subject: Re: Fishing could ease severe mental health issues – survey

however... muskie fishing had been known to CAUSE severe mental health issues..
chuckski
Posted 10/2/2023 10:09 AM (#1023986 - in reply to #1023982)

In three weeks I'll being going on my trip so to get in shape I get up a go cast at a little pond in my town and it's so relaxing just reel in my lure. Last year they did some repair work on the pond and I could not cast all summer and life was not the same.
OH Musky
Posted 10/2/2023 3:46 PM (#1024000 - in reply to #1023985)

IAJustin - 10/2/2023 11:08 AM

however... muskie fishing had been known to CAUSE severe mental health issues.. :)

Maybe that's the cause of my problem. Work AND musky fishing compounding the stress
ThedockisIN
Posted 10/5/2023 7:15 PM (#1024079 - in reply to #1023982)

PMTT Vermillion was about 300 hours of fishing per 40+ inch fish. Lots of locals and guides fished it. if fishing 300 hours per fish is your idea of relaxation, muskie fishing is for you.

Greg
dickP
Posted 10/6/2023 5:52 AM (#1024082 - in reply to #1023982)

I look in the mirror and my friends and say ‘no’,false narrative.
C_Nelson
Posted 10/6/2023 6:13 AM (#1024084 - in reply to #1023982)

My family knows musky fishing is my own mental therapy. Each time on the water is a therapy session. Musky are the therapists. Most times they show up for the sessions, sometimes they don't. Those in the know, know how much these sessions are needed by me right now and moving forward. For my winter sessions, I make all my own leaders, do my own reel work, study maps, design baits and modifications, do some youtube videos (primarily to keep me thinking and studying. If they help others too, great) and head to musky shows. Musky fishing/fishing, is what you make it.
R/T
Posted 10/6/2023 10:04 AM (#1024086 - in reply to #1024079)

Wow. I spent a week on Vermilion in 2002 I believe. How times have changed.
NPike
Posted 10/6/2023 5:03 PM (#1024090 - in reply to #1024086)

I fish alone or with company, either way fishing great for stress relief. Now if y worry about the number of fish and time on water then this sport may not be for Y, or put up with the stress of and wait a esox will appear. Like yesterday follows but no action.
mikie
Posted 10/6/2023 5:44 PM (#1024093 - in reply to #1023982)

Muskie fishers get up before the sun, drive sometimes several hours in the dark or fog to the ramp, throw the bait they are certain is 'magic' at the same spot for twenty minutes at a time, chug a few 5 Hour drinks and a stale sammich and head home thinking it was a good day because it didn't rain all that much. What mental health problems could possibly cause stress? m
sworrall
Posted 10/6/2023 6:03 PM (#1024094 - in reply to #1023982)

I get a huge kick out of all the drama surrounding muskie fishing like it's a climb to the top of Everest or something. My least favorite word, and the most humorous, is 'grind'.

You are, in the end, fishing, which is supposed to be fun. If the fish don't hit, that doesn't mean you have to 'grind it out', it means you just... keep fishing (the AGONY of it all)...until they do.

North of 8
Posted 10/6/2023 8:24 PM (#1024095 - in reply to #1024094)

sworrall - 10/6/2023 6:03 PM

I get a huge kick out of all the drama surrounding muskie fishing like it's a climb to the top of Everest or something. My least favorite word, and the most humorous, is 'grind'.

You are, in the end, fishing, which is supposed to be fun. If the fish don't hit, that doesn't mean you have to 'grind it out', it means you just... keep fishing (the AGONY of it all)...until they do.

Amen. I read some posts about how terrible the conditions were, etc. but they had to keep going, and find myself thinking, were these folks given some sort of sentence in court, "you must go fish regardless!"? Strange alternative to community service?
7.62xJay
Posted 10/7/2023 8:53 AM (#1024099 - in reply to #1023982)

It's self appointed pride I believe Steve, a self induced struggle toward a goal . Especially in contrast to when one compares it to their opinion of other species fisherman. The "athlete's species" in a sense is kinda what i think they're thinking of themselves. Not that u can't "grind" for any species of course. I will say though, this time of year, at least for me, only people I meet on the water this time of year are Musky and Walleye fisherman. Before I got into musky fishing though and duck hunted every weekend, some water could only be scouted by being on the water. So I'd bass fish and wait for the sun to come up or to go down. Some of the best bass fishing I've had is this time of year.

As far as the mental health goes, I missed September (lots of cursing) lost 1 weekend to work, 1 weekend to mandatory home repair, 1weekend to food poisoning, and the following weekend I caught a cold that'd been going through everybody at work. Fever,Pounding Headache, nose won't stop,and sore throat type of crap. Came down with it Friday night, after I got everything hooked up and ready to go, wasted money on suckers. Took Monday off, was all better on Tuesday. Than Yesterday (Friday) the client I was working for was clearly sick, and wasn't very sensible or courteous about it. My "mental health" at this point let's just say had me on thin ice with this fella, if I get sick from him I might snap lol.

Edited by 7.62xJay 10/7/2023 8:56 AM
chuckski
Posted 10/7/2023 9:17 AM (#1024100 - in reply to #1023982)

Something about being on the water and up in the woods. I spend time fishing community spots and major structures or going to a Action Lake, fishing for Perch off the dock. I also fish in some off beat spots looking for a Giant that has never seen a lure.
Thats the fishing part, but there is so much more. Going up in June and the woods are lush green, going at the end of August the little changes as fall approaches, the colors of fall or the quiet of brown season. Getting up early finding a place that has Potato Pancakes or Stuffed Hashbrowns, and after a day on the water, Mom & Pop Pizza Place, Fish Fry, a good Steak or Hamburger. And yes a Leinenkugels Original (no longer avalable in Colorado). And the people we spend time with, and those who have passed on. Fishing only part of the picture.
miket55
Posted 10/8/2023 9:16 AM (#1024106 - in reply to #1024100)

chuckski - 10/7/2023 10:17 AM

Something about being on the water and up in the woods. I spend time fishing community spots and major structures or going to a Action Lake, fishing for Perch off the dock. I also fish in some off beat spots looking for a Giant that has never seen a lure.
Thats the fishing part, but there is so much more. Going up in June and the woods are lush green, going at the end of August the little changes as fall approaches, the colors of fall or the quiet of brown season. Getting up early finding a place that has Potato Pancakes or Stuffed Hashbrowns, and after a day on the water, Mom & Pop Pizza Place, Fish Fry, a good Steak or Hamburger. And yes a Leinenkugels Original (no longer avalable in Colorado). And the people we spend time with, and those who have passed on. Fishing only part of the picture.

You nailed it... Last month I couldn't find any Liney Original at Trig's or any place else. A decent potato pancake is also getting harder to find, especially at the Friday night fish fry.

The fishing part is getting to be a grind physically, as the seasons goes by.... but it hurts so good!
chuckski
Posted 11/6/2023 9:12 AM (#1024578 - in reply to #1023982)

Took a trip to Northern Wisconsin in late October, we stopped in a place in southern Minnesota for the night and it was pouring down rain so we ate at a place next to our room (Walleye and Leinenkugel's Octoberfest on tap) the next day in Hayward bought my fishing License and a case of Leinies Org. at the same place. This was Wednesday on the sidewalks were rolled up so I bought a frozen Pastie and heated it up in our room. Thursday after fishing the place we wanted to eat was closed so we found a place and I had Home Made Pizza and Leinies. Friday our guide sent us to a place that had a Perch Fish Fry. (it was good and the price was right) After fishing Saturday we went back to a place that was closed earlyer in the week and had a Brisket Vegetable soup. Our guide put us on fish and went home felling like I was eighty.
NPike
Posted 11/6/2023 10:47 AM (#1024579 - in reply to #1024578)

Stop worrying about how many and how big Just go our and do your best. I fish more for pikes and tigers simple because the pure musky lakes are a lot further1.7 hours vs 400 minute. I need no company and fish alone 3/4 of the time. Fish past 40"" are very rare and the last to years my perseverance has payed off I've gotten a 40.5" and a 44.75" pike , both years the biggest fish to come off the lake each year. My point is that I enjoy the wind the sound of water splashing the boat, all birds and wildlife seen while fishing. Also and most importantly is I like to catch toothy critters but it's a want not a need. Its just a matter of putting things in perspective with a realistic expectations and you''ll enjoy fishing a lot more.
chuckski
Posted 11/6/2023 11:12 AM (#1024581 - in reply to #1023982)

Enjoy the wildlife, I live in Colorado and we have Elk everywhere I can't tell you how nice it was to see two Elk in Wisconsin. (that was a first)
Still chasing
Posted 11/18/2023 12:10 AM (#1024752 - in reply to #1023985)

None I let them go, love the thrill ..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)