Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Side Console Models

Reply New post
Message Subject: Side Console Models
RikkiTikkii
Posted 9/9/2023 3:29 PM (#1023559)
Subject: Side Console Models

Was hoping to get some insight on different V hull side console boats in the 16-18ft range. Looking at USED boats only for right now and possibly something I could re do the wood/carpet/electronics on this winter. This is my criteria:

-below 15k

-comfortable fishes 2 musky casting, 3 with shorter multi species rods and trolling, and 4 people for general cruising/sightseeing

-has a safe way to pull skiers/tubes

-8ft rod locker

-fine with fiberglass or aluminum (expecting aluminum)

-relatively maneuverable in shallows with good size casting deck, would like the console back a good ways because I mainly cast and only troll when I have to.

-front deck not too high up for figure 8s and netting/unhooking process

-4 stroke

-outboard brands?

-used on small inland lakes, rivers like tahquamenon, near shore Great Lakes, and munuscong/Saint Mary’s and LSC. No salmon trolling in moderate waves

I like what I have seen of 1750 fish hawks and some Lunds. Please suggest brands model and years you would look into or avoid. Seems like every manufacturer makes a version of this same layout multi species type boat. I have a basic 16ft tiller with a 25hp mercury currently and desperately want to upgrade.

Thanks

danmuskyman
Posted 9/10/2023 8:00 PM (#1023571 - in reply to #1023559)
Subject: Re: Side Console Models

Alumacraft Navigator or Competitor would be two I'd look at. Great layout with everything you describe
RikkiTikkii
Posted 9/10/2023 8:13 PM (#1023572 - in reply to #1023571)

I will check them out. Seems like alumacrafts come with any brand outboard so that is a nice perk.
RJ_692
Posted 9/11/2023 8:10 AM (#1023579 - in reply to #1023559)

you find v166 and 177 warriors in that range. tough to beat the capability of those in that range
MuskyMissionComplete
Posted 10/4/2023 8:03 PM (#1024051 - in reply to #1023559)

I had a165 navigator and now have a185 navigator. Great boats to fish from and pull tubes and skiers easy. They are wide and stable.
RobertK
Posted 10/5/2023 10:20 AM (#1024065 - in reply to #1023559)

I fish out of a 2020 Crestliner 16 50 Fish Hawk SE (SE is the cheaper model of the Fish Hawk). That hull takes a 90 horse outboard. I had them install the extra seating module that flips up/down. This extends the rear casting deck when flipped down and gives 2 additional jump seats with it flipped up so the boat can seat four for cruising or trolling if you want. I got the Platinum Edition since that is what they had in stock during Covid, which mean it came with a stereo, some other cosmetic things, and an upgraded trailer. The SE model has a lot of plastic in the side console, which is ok but is what makes it a little cheaper.

A down side is that it is probably a little under-powered to pull tubes, etc..., but I'm not an expert on that since I only fish out of it. Mine came with a 90-hp Mercury 4-stroke.

I really like the track system built into the side of the gunnel. I use the accessory brackets (I buy these straight from my Crestliner dealer up the street, $35 a piece) to mount all sorts of things to the inside of my boat so they are adjustable. For instance, I drill holes through a bracket to attach a Folbe rod holder. With the rail system, I can put them anywhere I want along the gunnel and the system locks down very solid. I did the same with a RAM mount for my sonar unit so I can move it to pretty much anywhere I like along the gunnel (as long as the cable management is good!). It may not be quite as solid as a Traxstech track, but the built-in track is cheaper and you don't need to drill any more holes into your gunnel to install.

The side console allows plenty of room for casting out of the port side of the boat. Having three people casting for muskies is a bit more cozy than I would like, but two people casting is absolutely no problem. The rod storage will be a problem, though. Max length is about 7-7.5 feet in the center rod locker. I use that to store my 2-pc trolling rods and my other trolling gear like rod holders, planers, etc... I always use the ready rack on the port side to situate my casting rods, but they can get a little "underfoot" for the person casting out the front for the long rods.

If you go with the bigger Fish Hawk models from Crestliner (no SE version available for them), you'll get commensurately-longer rod storage in the center rod locker, but the price goes up pretty significantly as you're probably aware.

When I was in the market in 2020, I did a bunch of comparison. There were a lot of quality new boats in that size. Most were pretty comparable, and the build quality was typically pretty good. Lund Impact and the other models mentioned above were also quite good, it seemed.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
NPike
Posted 10/5/2023 10:48 AM (#1024067 - in reply to #1023571)

Make sure to specify yr electronics. Personally I like the Minn Kota - Humminbird combo with spot lock. I use Navionics for charting, Lake Master is terrible. Anyways just something that might go well with your new intended rig.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)