Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question

Reply New post
Message Subject: 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question
codebreaker05
Posted 9/5/2023 10:51 PM (#1023449)
Subject: 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question

Hello I’m looking so see if anybody has any experience with a similar setup as I’m looking for different prop combination. Boat is a 2009 Ranger 619 full windshield with a Suzuki DF 225. Suzuki has a Bob’s 6” jackplate with a 4” setback. Boat has a 12 talon and a kicker motor. Currently turning a Mercury Tempest plus 23 Pitch. Boat does 50 mph and bounces off the limiter with a light load. Boat doesn’t have the greatest grip
in rough water as well. Most people I’ve talked to with my hull are getting high 50 and even touching 60 mph. I’m aware that Suzuki’s have a different ratio gearcase than the mercury's etc . I have tried a Tempest plus 24 and it cavitates at about half trim with the jackplate all the way down. I’ve looked at lowering the motor/ jackplate on the boat and the linkage will not allow in its current configuration.

If anybody has any experience with another line of prop it would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Edited by codebreaker05 9/5/2023 10:54 PM
VMS
Posted 11/2/2023 9:56 AM (#1024522 - in reply to #1023449)
Subject: RE: 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question

Hiya!!

Been a while since I've been on here....

I'm curious...how high is the motor off the transom with the jack plate? If the setting is too high on the plate, ventilation will happen often. Now...while trimmed out and trying to turn, a good set up would require you to trim in so the rig can carve into the water without blowing out on a moderate turn.

I'd say your rig should be getting close to mid 50's. The tempest is a good prop, so the only thing I can think of as to why it would be blowing out on you is motor height. If you can lower the plate and test (assuming it is a manual plate and not electric or hydraulic) and see how it works, then continue to move it down until you find a spot that is comfortable for your preferred way of running.

Another prop to consider if you are unhappy with the tempest is to try a raker 2 (made by BRP) in that 24 pitch. Another option would be the RX3 which has the ability to adjust vent holes. The raker is designed for high motor heights which might be of benefit to you on your current set up.

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier.
codebreaker05
Posted 11/8/2023 1:52 PM (#1024618 - in reply to #1024522)
Subject: RE: 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question

Thanks for the reply.

With the jack plate all the way down the cavitation plate is basically even with the bottom of the hull. The previously owner installed the jack plate with intention of being able to jack the motor up while loading in shallow water, not so much for performance.

With the 23 I can trim the motor all the way up (with the jack plate lowered all the way) I do have to trim down if I'm going turn sharp.
VMS
Posted 11/9/2023 10:22 AM (#1024632 - in reply to #1023449)
Subject: Re: 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question

O.k

Next Question. On the tempest, do you have the vent plugs completely blocked on the prop? Usually this is not an issue at full speed, but can be in rougher conditions. The vent holes help the motor to reach a higher RPM before the exhaust gasses blow past the vent holes, so this is more for curiosity than anything.

When running, you should be able to raise the motor up a couple of inches and the prop should still hold well at trim. The key here is not to over-trim, though.... You ever see those boat where the rooster tail is really high? That is not ideal. At most, the tail should be level with the top of the motor when running. Any higher and it is a loss of efficiency.

If you can get into a raker 24 or 25 it might be a good fit, although going to a 4 blade could be a good option as well. The boat is heavy so a good 4 blade can help lift the entire boat, although you will lose some top end out of it in that transition, as you would likely need to drop in pitch...although if you are hitting a rev limiter with the 23 tempest, you might find a 4 blade 23 could be a solid hit. If you try this route, I would consider a mercury Revolution 4 or a solas Titan 4. the Rev 4 will allow you to maintain motor height and still grab well...and on those days where you just want to cruise along, it could be dynamite! It all depends on what you are looking for out of your boat.

Me personally, I want big water capability as I like fishing in waves. Sometimes getting there can be a real pain if I have vent holes in a prop as midrange the prop continues to go back and forth with prop slippage. Went to a 4 blade this past year and lost a couple MPH, but man can it handle the water... I can keep the bow up (my rig has the tank in the bow) which helps tremendously!!

If you were close to the twin cities, I'd meet up with you and we can look at multiple things

Steve
codebreaker05
Posted 11/9/2023 11:26 AM (#1024634 - in reply to #1023449)
Subject: Re: 2009 Ranger 619 Suzuki 225. Prop question

VMS,

All good info thanks, I'm in Northern MN.

The 23 Tempest I run has the large diameter plugs currently. I tried various size plugs on the 24, didn't really change anything. I did also try a Solas Rubex PROL3 25 pitch with the variable vents, it was all around worse. Tried several different vent settings.

My brother does have a 25 Raker that I could try. I will let you know the outcome if I try that.

I've put some feelers out on other forums and Facebook pages and the general consensus is to go to a larger diameter 4 blade prop like a Bravo 1 or Suzuki makes some as well. Could be an expensive endeavor getting it figured out, haha.

At the end of the day my boat works fine in the grand scheme. It would just be nice to run a few less rpms mid range to save on some fuel especially when I'm in Canada and going faster is never a bad thing.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)