Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> tiger muskie fishing at night?

Message Subject: tiger muskie fishing at night?
gimruis
Posted 8/18/2023 11:17 AM (#1023018)
Subject: tiger muskie fishing at night?

I frequently fish a couple of lakes stocked with tiger muskies. Obviously muskie fishing for pure strains at night time is a very common strategy, and I do it myself. But has or does anyone specifically target tiger muskies at night time? I've only done it a couple times and never piled into one. I'm just wondering if I should even try.

Being that these hybrids are half pike, perhaps their vision at night is not as good as a pure strain muskie and that's why I don't catch any.

Edited by gimruis 8/18/2023 11:18 AM
BillM
Posted 8/18/2023 12:42 PM (#1023019 - in reply to #1023018)
Subject: Re: tiger muskie fishing at night?

Muskie are muskie.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/18/2023 9:50 PM (#1023023 - in reply to #1023018)

I fished a lake that was stocked with hybrids back in the 80's. I never saw one and never caught one except in the middle of the night fishing from shore. They'd be up in the shallow sand at like 2:00 in the morning, middle of summer, hot, flat, water like a bathtub...

And when I say shallow I mean 2 feet of water, maybe less. Now, that was only a few years after they were first stocked, I doubt the big ones do that, but you never know...
Clark A
Posted 8/18/2023 10:52 PM (#1023025 - in reply to #1023018)

Art Moraski caught a bunch at night on Little Green Lake in the 1970's. I've only caught 2 northerns when it was dark out, so they maybe more like muskies at night. Wow, I just went back almost 50 years like it was yesterday! I apologize. Just you wait you youngins!
Art Moraski was/is and outdoor writer. I do not know if he guided, but he wrote for Fishing Facts and Hook & Shell Magazine. Little Green Lake is in Wisconsin, which is no longer stocked with Tigers. I actually caught a small Tiger on a bucktail /Slim Jim on Little Green. After removing the lure, I removed a treble hook, a single hook, and an ice fishing jig. I think tigers are dumber than northerns. We also had severely pressured waters 50 years ago.

Edited by Clark A 8/18/2023 11:04 PM
7.62xJay
Posted 8/19/2023 11:16 AM (#1023034 - in reply to #1023018)

Few years back when we had that wicked hot summer I did quite a bit of night fishing on a large clear sandy lake. Big Largies and smallies kept hitting our topwater muskie baits, it was a blast. Never had a night muskie that year. But one time we took a buddy out who was getting irritated cuz he wasn't getting hit and we were. He eventually switched to some old musky quad blade inline musky buzzbait and started getting slammed by Pike. The Pike didn't want anything to do with our creepers,choppers, jitterbugs,or blades. But something about that buzzbait was turning em on at night. So idk, experiment I guess is my response.
chuckski
Posted 8/20/2023 11:53 AM (#1023050 - in reply to #1023018)

Quincy Res. here in Colorado was a famous Tiger Muskie Lake and is lures and flies only and closes at dark. Once upon a time before they banned Powerbait on Quincy they would be stay open 10:00 or Midnight on the night of the full Moon (only) and Trout Fishermen would catch Tigers after dark on Powerbait. Here in Colorado you can't fish with live minnows or chubs on lakes over 7000 feet in elevation, so we used to joke that we should go to the mountains and mold a whole bottle of Powerbait and mold on a treble in order to catch a Tiger. No one ever tried it.
gimruis
Posted 8/21/2023 2:32 PM (#1023081 - in reply to #1023018)

Thanks for the responses. Guess I will try it again. I catch decent sized largemouth when I'm targeting them at night which is fine by me, but the muskies don't seem to bite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)