Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> nets

Message Subject: nets
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/2/2023 1:58 AM (#1022045)
Subject: nets

Looking to modernize my net, potentially replacement or updated bag on mine. I purchased a round Clam Colossus for our club stocking raffle this spring and it seemed lighter than my Frabil Big Game Power Catch(which is great net but too heavy for daughter to wield/pull through water effectively). It also seems like it may be less tangly than my Beckman mag fin saver(remembered how very tangly it is this week up north).

While looking up the Clam, it appears the new collossus it a tear drop shape, no longer round. Anyone have practical experience with these nets? Looking for a tweener, something big enough but easier for easy solo, but more importantly for daughter to more effectively use on upcoming trips.

C_Nelson
Posted 7/2/2023 6:01 AM (#1022046 - in reply to #1022045)
Subject: Re: nets

RS Nets Solo Slimer, 2" netting, 5' straight handle. Bought one over the winter. Should be the last net I buy.
K and M tackle
Posted 7/2/2023 12:43 PM (#1022049 - in reply to #1022045)

I like the Beckmann and get the 6’ handle for solo fishing. Otherwise the ranger is great but a mess to get hooks out of small netting but the bag is huge.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/2/2023 2:00 PM (#1022051 - in reply to #1022045)

I have the 6 lb colossus, the round version. I assume there is some explanation somewhere for going to teardrop, but in terms of weight and deploying, very easy for fishing solo. In fact, I used to always have my net extended, but no need to given how easy it is and the bag pretty tangle free. The extra long handle really useful as well - not necessarily for the scooping of fish, but for tucking into gunnel on other side of boat or into a seat to work on fish. No issue with big fish in the net either - however my boat is close to water, so if high-sided boat bag on the smaller colossus may not make a really comfortable livewell - trade off on the weight and easy scooping
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/3/2023 2:39 AM (#1022059 - in reply to #1022045)

Thank you!!!
Cover Dog
Posted 7/3/2023 9:32 PM (#1022070 - in reply to #1022046)

C_Nelson - 7/2/2023 7:01 AM

RS Nets Solo Slimer, 2" netting, 5' straight handle. Bought one over the winter. Should be the last net I buy.

Have the same net but with 1” netting. Went to their factory when they were still in Ohio and was given a complete tour of their operation. Ordered the net when I left, and had it I about 10 days. Hopefully my last one also.
zekeekez
Posted 7/15/2023 8:20 PM (#1022299 - in reply to #1022045)

What nets would people recommend for a solo fisherman? I have an older Beckmann but it is very difficult to use solo. I currently use a Frabill conservation net which I like. But I was looking at some old posts and someone mentioned that the netting wasn’t good. Not sure what they meant by that? What makes a net fish friendly? Type of netting, size of holes, etc? Just got back from LOTW and bagged 7 muskies in that net with no issues that I could see, including my 1st 50. One thing that helped tremendously was the net buddy, which I got right before my trip. Great item once in the net. Thoughts appreciated
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)