Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Sabaskong Bay help?!?!

Message Subject: Sabaskong Bay help?!?!
Cabbage Patch
Posted 6/10/2023 5:38 PM (#1021520)
Subject: Sabaskong Bay help?!?!

In need of some intell for my upcoming trip to the Bay Area July 8-15. What should I be looking for that time of year? Any reason to travel long distances to other areas of the like ? Any tips would be much appreciated since my dad really only can cast for a limited time due to some health issues. I would like to maximize my chances if possible.
chuckski
Posted 6/10/2023 9:12 PM (#1021523 - in reply to #1021520)
Subject: Re: Sabaskong Bay help?!?!

I was only there once an it was in September and 30 years ago. We traveled a way's to get away from the bloom.
I would find a area pound it and learn where rock, weed and current area.
Angling Oracle
Posted 6/11/2023 10:48 AM (#1021531 - in reply to #1021520)

I don't fish Sab at all, mostly the NW section of the lake, but if I did and especially in your circumstance I would stick close to where you are based and learn that area well. It is a high density musky area, so you will get some action - sort out a pattern and then repeat. If your time on water is limited due to your dad, then fish mornings and evenings in stable weather, get out prior to any oncoming weather changes, wind kicks up, clouds over - the usual stuff. Don't overthink it and think grass greener in another part of lake and start running around. More casts = figuring stuff out => more muskies. Usual advice for those that travel up here - $ on guide is $ well spent, especially given scenario with your dad. Relax and let the guide do the thinking/worrying and (safely) running around.

Probably a lot of folks will be out in the weeks prior so likely will be reports as to what's what prior to your trip.

Edited by Angling Oracle 6/11/2023 10:56 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/11/2023 12:15 PM (#1021539 - in reply to #1021520)

Sab has plenty of fish for you and endless spots. Weeds, rocks, sand beaches. Hit them all with bucktails and topwater and you'll get into fish.
CFlipFish
Posted 6/11/2023 2:53 PM (#1021546 - in reply to #1021520)
Subject: RE: Sabaskong Bay help?!?!

Where are you staying at? I can tell you what I know - we have been there twice in the last 5 years in July - once at Obabikon and once at Grassy Narrows in Miles Bay

We spent a fair amount of time traveling as far South/East as Burrows Bay and as far West as Basil Island. Of course, the weather can change things - but 2nd week in July we found a lot of fish still relating to weeds beds and weed points with Grinder spinnerbaits and bucktails from Double 8 up to Double 10. Biggest fish we found were related to weed/boulder combinations near a deeper basin.

For evenings, make sure you have at least one person throwing topwater. We had 2 nice fish within 30 minutes our first night throwing Fat Bastards over the top of cabbage in a big bay.

Good luck. You will love it. We return to Grassy Narrows on July 29 but assume fish will be more rock-related then.

PM me if you want more details.
sledman5
Posted 6/30/2023 8:33 PM (#1022020 - in reply to #1021520)

Any lake of the woods reports? Heading up in a week and any help would be appreciated
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)