Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Healthy but easy lunches for the boat?

Message Subject: Healthy but easy lunches for the boat?
North of 8
Posted 3/31/2023 12:20 PM (#1019384)
Subject: Healthy but easy lunches for the boat?

Someone started a thread in the basement about food but didn't get much of a response. I eat a lot of lunches in my boat but am in kind of a rut. PBJ sandwiches on whole grain, some nuts, an apple or orange, maybe a couple of string cheese sticks.
Any suggestions for healthy lunch that is easy to eat in the boat? I cook a lot, so preparing something ahead of time is not a problem.
Ronix
Posted 3/31/2023 1:16 PM (#1019385 - in reply to #1019384)
Subject: Re: Healthy but easy lunches for the boat?

easiest one (prepared ahead of time) I can think of is rice, lean ground beef, ground turkey, or shredded chicken, mixed with beans and some sort of steamed green. The fiber in the beans/greens will help with satiety. Mix in some hot sauce and good to go stores nicely in Tupperware containers.

Otherwise, lean cold cuts and whole grain breads/wraps are an easy one to prepare as well.
chuckski
Posted 3/31/2023 1:19 PM (#1019386 - in reply to #1019384)

Apples, Carrots, Celery, Almonds, Peanut Butter no Jelly, Hot Baked Beans in a Thermos. Or Soup in a Thermos. Maybe not so healthy but user friendly Beef Jerky, Beef Stick, crackers, Thick cut Texas Toast (does not dry out like reg. Bread) and last but not least home made Chocotate Chip Cookies. Or go old time Shore lunch (Fish, French Fries, Baked Beans, Onion Rings, Bacon and Bread) And a lot of work.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/31/2023 1:50 PM (#1019387 - in reply to #1019384)

We make our own chicken stock, which involves boiling a whole chicken with turnips, parsnips, carrots, celery and leeks (regular onions will do) in a large pot for about 4 hours. The end result is a great soup base that's incredibly rich and flavorful.

There's nothing better than a thermos full of that with a little fresh parsley and thyme on a cold fall day. Another quick easy snack is hard boiled eggs. Peel them ahead of time so you don't have to fart around, put them in a ziplock bag in the cooler and you're good to go. Also like to keep a couple cans of V-8 around and some small packs of mixed nuts.

Depending on where you're fishing it IS possible to have a pizza delivered to the landing. It's takes some convincing but they will do it. That's another thing that's really good on a cold day. Messy, though.
K and M tackle
Posted 3/31/2023 2:26 PM (#1019389 - in reply to #1019384)

I bring a grill and brats or burgers and keep in truck. Beach boat for a quick lunch. Expecially when guiding. Nice to take a step back and assess what you have learned and come back with a bit more perspective
kdawg
Posted 3/31/2023 3:09 PM (#1019397 - in reply to #1019389)

Subway tuna on wheat. Easy on the mayo. Kdawg
CincySkeez
Posted 3/31/2023 3:09 PM (#1019398 - in reply to #1019384)

Big honking container of cashews is a must on the boat. I love to bring watermelon or honeydew out on the boat in summer.

If I'm really going to be grinding, not on the healthy side either, I'll pre make pasta and vodka sauce. Something about being able to plunge a fork into something on a cold windy day really helps.
North of 8
Posted 3/31/2023 3:23 PM (#1019400 - in reply to #1019385)

Ronix - 3/31/2023 1:16 PM

easiest one (prepared ahead of time) I can think of is rice, lean ground beef, ground turkey, or shredded chicken, mixed with beans and some sort of steamed green. The fiber in the beans/greens will help with satiety. Mix in some hot sauce and good to go stores nicely in Tupperware containers.

Otherwise, lean cold cuts and whole grain breads/wraps are an easy one to prepare as well.

Really like this idea, including the beans and greens with the brown rice and chicken. Little hot sauce for flavor. That will make the boat this summer. Guy I fished with a couple years ago did something similar but just chicken and rice or ground beef and rice. I really enjoy roasted or grilled Brussel sprouts and my wife doesn't. Good way to eat them.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/31/2023 11:29 PM (#1019409 - in reply to #1019384)

NO8, I'm not about to let that thread die just yet haha. I just haven't made anything worthy of showing off yet.
Lot of thermos options so far so I'm going the other route with my hot weather staple.
SANDWHICH FRESCADO WRAPS my guys! Super easy to make, endless flavor options. Leave the bread at home. Make your wrap, bag it, toss er right into your beverage cooler, they don't get soggy even loaded with sauce and veggies. I've eaten mine 2days later and she's a little soft but completely edible.
Other than that yeah I always got the classic snacks of oranges, clementine,nuts(gosh i love those giant bags of blue diamond almonds), jerky.
ToddM
Posted 4/1/2023 9:45 AM (#1019418 - in reply to #1019384)

Depends on who I am with. Nuts, trail mix but I have one partner I bring candy bars because he can't eat them and I don't want his rooster hands on my food which is what he does immediately following putting the rooster back in the barn. My buddy found out the hard way after buying a 10lb bag of trail mix that I told him not to buy.

Edited by ToddM 4/1/2023 9:46 AM
North of 8
Posted 4/1/2023 9:53 AM (#1019421 - in reply to #1019409)

7.62xJay - 3/31/2023 11:29 PM

NO8, I'm not about to let that thread die just yet haha. I just haven't made anything worthy of showing off yet.
Lot of thermos options so far so I'm going the other route with my hot weather staple.
SANDWHICH FRESCADO WRAPS my guys! Super easy to make, endless flavor options. Leave the bread at home. Make your wrap, bag it, toss er right into your beverage cooler, they don't get soggy even loaded with sauce and veggies. I've eaten mine 2days later and she's a little soft but completely edible.
Other than that yeah I always got the classic snacks of oranges, clementine,nuts(gosh i love those giant bags of blue diamond almonds), jerky.

Yeah, I could find the Blue Diamond almonds in our nearby Walmart Superstore blindfolded. Wish I would have bought stock in that company about 20 years ago.

Edited by North of 8 4/1/2023 9:54 AM
southern comfort
Posted 4/1/2023 10:15 AM (#1019422 - in reply to #1019384)

Starkist Tuna or Salmon packets. They dont need refrigeration and lay flat so they are easy to pack and store. Super healthy ... 70 calories and 17g of protein.
happy hooker
Posted 4/1/2023 10:52 AM (#1019424 - in reply to #1019422)

Buy a summer sausage,,the full length kind,,let it sit in the front of your dashboard of your vehicle so the sun can hit it for one day,,sounds crazy but you won't believe how jucy it gets when you cut it open,,no it won't go bad.

Edited by happy hooker 4/1/2023 10:54 AM
North of 8
Posted 4/1/2023 12:22 PM (#1019425 - in reply to #1019424)

happy hooker - 4/1/2023 10:52 AM

Buy a summer sausage,,the full length kind,,let it sit in the front of your dashboard of your vehicle so the sun can hit it for one day,,sounds crazy but you won't believe how jucy it gets when you cut it open,,no it won't go bad.

Ha! The summer of 1969 I worked on a re-bar crew for a company paving the inter-state between Sparta and Tomah, WI. A guy on another crew hung a big chunk of summer sausage from his rear view mirror and for lunch he would cut a chunk off and eat it with some bread, a big sausage would last a week. He also slept in his car and what little personal hygiene he did was washing up in a creek that ran under the highway by Fort McCoy. If wind was right, you could smell him from 20 yards away. Was really glad he was not part of my crew. He was middle aged and our foreman said he had been eating that way for years, so it must have been safe. There were days where it was pushing 100 degrees, you could smell that summer sausage for a long ways.
7.62xJay
Posted 4/1/2023 1:35 PM (#1019428 - in reply to #1019424)

happy hooker - 4/1/2023 10:52 AM

Back when I was a teen doing all manual track work for the railroad in the summer, often by myself, I'd pull an omelete sandwich out of my cooler and throw er on the dash of my truck. One hour later she'd be perfect hot and melty, little soggy. I Loved it. Years later I tried it again at my new job (at the time) and got pucking sick. Looking back on it now though I'm calling myself an idiot ha!
Angling Oracle
Posted 4/1/2023 2:51 PM (#1019429 - in reply to #1019384)

Roast up a batch of chicken drumsticks with favourite spice combos (or marinate) and take out on boat with in resealable ziploc container together with containers with block of cheese, pickles, olives, cut cucumber, cherry tomatoes, presliced bread already buttered and perhaps some pre-cut fruit (all in cooler). Eat while contemplating the results of the morning and assessing next wise play based on the conditions forming for afternoon.

Edited by Angling Oracle 4/1/2023 3:25 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 4/1/2023 2:53 PM (#1019430 - in reply to #1019428)

My wife ruined me for eating on fishing trips. Used to bring a couple cans of soup and a couple bags of jerky and nuts to munch on and that was it. Add wife to picture and all of a sudden we have multiple coolers, bags and bags full of bread, chips, cookies , nuts, five kids of cheese, lunch meat, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, full meals planned and packaged, wine, corkscrews, dishes, fresh veggies... Literally filled the refrigerator at the lodge our first trip to Canada together. As I was sitting in the cabin eating salmon, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies and looking at the cheese cake on the counter it occured to me: Hey, maybe this wife thing ain't too bad!
7.62xJay
Posted 4/1/2023 3:45 PM (#1019431 - in reply to #1019430)

esoxaddict - 4/1/2023 2:53 PM

My wife ruined me for eating on fishing trips. Used to bring a couple cans of soup and a couple bags of jerky and nuts to munch on and that was it. Add wife to picture and all of a sudden we have multiple coolers, bags and bags full of bread, chips, cookies , nuts, five kids of cheese, lunch meat, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, full meals planned and packaged, wine, corkscrews, dishes, fresh veggies... Literally filled the refrigerator at the lodge our first trip to Canada together. As I was sitting in the cabin eating salmon, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies and looking at the cheese cake on the counter it occured to me: Hey, maybe this wife thing ain't too bad!

Shoot, you got a trophy b4 your boat is even wet there buddy.
figure 8
Posted 4/1/2023 7:48 PM (#1019432 - in reply to #1019431)

12 pack of PBR- there is a sandwich in every can
North of 8
Posted 4/2/2023 7:38 AM (#1019436 - in reply to #1019432)

figure 8 - 4/1/2023 7:48 PM

12 pack of PBR- there is a sandwich in every can

And I would get a chance to find out how well my self inflating PDF works when I fall overboard.
chuckski
Posted 4/2/2023 9:57 AM (#1019442 - in reply to #1019384)

I'm a Leinenkugel's guy, and for the most part I don't drink in the boat. One time I did watch three guy's going down a shoreline casting small spinnerbaits and catching everything under the sun including a 40" Muskie. They were having a good time and they had a 30 pack of Keystone Light! ugh! The last time I had cheap beer in the boat it was a Hamm's.
And if you go to Canada keep the beer out of the boat. And when you are up North everywhere you look there's Old Style sign.
RJ_692
Posted 4/3/2023 7:52 AM (#1019447 - in reply to #1019384)

tuna / salmon packets, hard boiled eggs, avocados, rice and beans, dried fruit, celery and carrots, those all pretty healthy, easy and filling. Nuts are good as well.

im also a huge fan of grapes on the boat. low maintenance and a nice juicy boost when its warmer.
miket55
Posted 4/3/2023 8:37 AM (#1019448 - in reply to #1019442)

chuckski - 4/2/2023 10:57 AM

And when you are up North everywhere you look there's Old Style sign.

They're not all Old Style signs...

Foodwise, I keep it real simple, a couple sandwiches with the various condiments in those individual foil packets, bottled water, and a Powerade or two.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(4942.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4942.jpg (22KB - 23 downloads)
gimruis
Posted 4/3/2023 10:22 AM (#1019451 - in reply to #1019384)

I am not usually in my boat all day long. Most of my outings are 3-5 hours in length, so I can survive without having to pack a full lunch to bring with. That being said, I always bring coffee (if it is a morning outing) and water or gatorade. Sometimes I bring a couple of deer sticks with. Certain fruit seems like a good idea as it would be healthy and provide an energy boost.

Edited by gimruis 4/3/2023 10:23 AM
ghoti
Posted 4/3/2023 11:00 AM (#1019453 - in reply to #1019384)
Subject: RE: Healthy but easy lunches for the boat?

A stick of cajun venison sausage, a block of sharp cheder cheese, and a sleeve of Ritz crackers washed down with ice cold unsweetended tea.
BillM
Posted 4/3/2023 3:52 PM (#1019457 - in reply to #1019384)

Hard boiled eggs are easy. I usually make a few wraps with some deli meat, lettuce, etc. Biggest thing for me out there is staying hydrated. I bring probably 3-4Ls of water and it's gone after a 12 hour day of fishing.
chuckski
Posted 4/4/2023 10:08 AM (#1019484 - in reply to #1019448)

miket55 - 4/3/2023 8:37 AM

Foodwise, I keep it real simple, a couple sandwiches with the various condiments in those individual foil packets, bottled water, and a Powerade or two.

Mike love the humor and the sign! Old style signs are all over Northen Wis. however of the two resorts I used to visit most one had a Pabst sign and the other had a Schlitz sign. When I moved to Colorado a friend sent me out to a Packer Bar and they had Old Style and not a fan, that's when I found Leinenkugel's. When I went to Wisconsin in the late 70's I was the last of the legal 18 year old drinkers and we could go to a resort and drink 7 oz pilsners for 70 cents. And we drunk Stroh's.
miket55
Posted 4/4/2023 10:43 AM (#1019485 - in reply to #1019484)

chuckski - 4/4/2023 11:08 AM

miket55 - 4/3/2023 8:37 AM

Mike love the humor and the sign! Old style signs are all over Northen Wis. however of the two resorts I used to visit most one had a Pabst sign and the other had a Schlitz sign. When I moved to Colorado a friend sent me out to a Packer Bar and they had Old Style and not a fan, that's when I found Leinenkugel's. When I went to Wisconsin in the late 70's I was the last of the legal 18 year old drinkers and we could go to a resort and drink 7 oz pilsners for 70 cents. And we drunk Stroh's.

I'll have to do a "sign survey" on my way up in a couple of months..lol

My favorite from the '60s was the triangular Blatz sign up on a tower, on the west side of I-94 at the IL/WI line... Made the obligatory engraved wooden "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign seem insignificant..
Top H2O
Posted 4/4/2023 11:02 AM (#1019486 - in reply to #1019485)

Sandwiches,.. Spicy Salamy with double cheese on whole wheat.
Italian Roast beef (mid-rare) with double cheese on whole wheat.
Twinkies, fruit snacks, Lots of water.
Can't beat a shore lunch !
The last hr of fishing a couple of Cocktails to start relaxing.
Slamr
Posted 4/5/2023 9:16 AM (#1019498 - in reply to #1019384)
Subject: RE: Healthy but easy lunches for the boat?

Fall Early Spring Fishing, this is KEY

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(jertboil.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jertboil.jpg (72KB - 22 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)