Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Shore fishing in Minnesota

Message Subject: Shore fishing in Minnesota
jmcarriere
Posted 3/21/2023 5:50 PM (#1019154)
Subject: Shore fishing in Minnesota

Hello everyone, I am just getting back into fishing for musky after not fishing for them in about 25 years. I grew up fishing for them in northern Minnesota mainly trolling for them but never caught one. This will be my first year targeting them again unfortunately I will be fishing from shore 90% of the time. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any good shore fishing areas in Minnesota, I am in the twin cities area but will drive for good fiahing? Or am I waiting my time.
TCESOX
Posted 3/21/2023 6:14 PM (#1019155 - in reply to #1019154)
Subject: Re: Shore fishing in Minnesota

Most lake shore is privately owned, so you are limited. That being said, there are some options. I know people who have caught muskies from fishing piers in city and county parks in the metro. Also, the Minneapolis chain of lakes have accessible shore line, as they are surrounded by public land.
chuckski
Posted 3/21/2023 7:18 PM (#1019157 - in reply to #1019154)

I'm not sure in Minnesota but I think in Wisconsin the high water mark in part of the lake, with that said if you stand on someone's beach your're going to pi$$ off somebody. Rent a row boat if money is a issue or ask a resort owner if you could fish from the resort.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/21/2023 7:32 PM (#1019159 - in reply to #1019154)

Plenty of access in the metro chain. I used to throw top waters on Nokomis in the weee hours of the night/morning after dishwashing shifts.
kap
Posted 3/22/2023 5:21 AM (#1019164 - in reply to #1019154)

Tonka has shore fishing spots, mostly on channels and back bays. So good early and late season
FlyPiker
Posted 3/22/2023 5:25 AM (#1019165 - in reply to #1019154)

I got the same answer as these guys basically, with the additional cliche - join the local Muskies Inc chapter - may be people in a similar situation, or have been without a boat previously and would have some good ideas. Some may invite you to join them on their boat too.

There's a YouTube channel "Wide Open Water" that the dude does a few vids from piers and parks in the metro, that may give you some clues too.

Best of luck!
talmooner
Posted 3/22/2023 8:30 AM (#1019170 - in reply to #1019154)

Check out this YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcPkzuz0pig

If the link does not work, please search "Shoreline Anglers" on YouTube
Mostly shore fishing and mostly for Muskie.

His videos are really well done.
Smell_Esox
Posted 3/22/2023 8:50 AM (#1019175 - in reply to #1019154)

There are shore fishing opportunities on the Miss R around St. Cloud, Little Falls, and Brainerd. Below dams early summer can be good.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/22/2023 11:07 AM (#1019179 - in reply to #1019165)

FlyPiker - 3/22/2023 5:25 AM

I got the same answer as these guys basically, with the additional cliche - join the local Muskies Inc chapter - may be people in a similar situation, or have been without a boat previously and would have some good ideas. Some may invite you to join them on their boat too.

Yes, this. Always this.
gimruis
Posted 3/27/2023 8:29 AM (#1019277 - in reply to #1019154)

I'll second the Mpls chain of lakes. Although usually quite busy "around" the lake and parking can be an issue, the lakes themselves do not permit the use of outboards which keeps pressure a little lower.
RJ_692
Posted 3/28/2023 7:33 AM (#1019301 - in reply to #1019154)

stop at local bait shops. the sketchy looking ones, not the ones with g loomis signs in the window lol. buy a couple trinkets and ask some questions.

True story....when i was in college we didnt have a boat but had quite a few guys that liked to fish. One afternoon we were at said sketchy bait shop and ran into a old drunk indian guy. he asked where we going to fish, we explained we were not sure as none of us were locals per se. He gave us a handful of spots. some of them i still fish today. There are lots of bank fisherman out there.

rivers lots of places on rivers. channels between lakes.

boat landings. you'd be surprised especially during non busy times. ever see all them baitfishes around them. especially at night. hint.

parks on lakes, or lakes in parks.

i travel a lot for work and pack a rod with me and go cast around in my free time. tie on a spinnerbait and any game fish that swims will hit one.
North of 8
Posted 3/28/2023 8:15 AM (#1019304 - in reply to #1019301)

Boat landings are a great suggestion. During the times I worked as a volunteer for Clean Waters/Clean Boats, often saw muskies in the area. But, never remembered to bring a rod and release tools until I got there.
chuckski
Posted 3/28/2023 9:16 AM (#1019306 - in reply to #1019154)

A few years ago I worked with a guy here in Denver who was from North Dakoda and he had a job one year working for a outfitter in the Boundary Waters and he was driving down the road and he went over a bridge and pulled over, walked down the waters edge made a few casts with a Rapala and caught a 51" Northern. Got his picture in the paper!
Born
Posted 4/2/2023 9:53 AM (#1019441 - in reply to #1019154)

The MN Outdoors News March 24th edition Lake Profile the last page highlights lake Rebecca Hennepin county as a terrific shore fishing lake. It happens to be a state broodstock lake. It lies entirely in Lake Rebecca Park Reserve. Check it out, maybe get that issue of the MN Outdoor News. No gas motors allowed on the lake so it should be quite peaceful as well. Good Luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)