Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> THE ONE,,,

Message Subject: THE ONE,,,
ToddM
Posted 3/7/2023 4:20 AM (#1018686 - in reply to #1018421)
Subject: Re: THE ONE,,,

Lures can burn white hot. Anyone who has ever fished Webster back in the day has seen it. Last year's white hot lure getting outfished handily in the boat by the current year's new hot lure.
Top H2O
Posted 3/7/2023 10:57 AM (#1018689 - in reply to #1018666)

chuckski - 3/6/2023 9:32 AM

New lures at times can really catch fish, but so can the old ones. Maybe where you throw VS what you throw.

Anyone who hunts Muskie on V knows how hard it is get them to eat...
Seems to me Josh figured it out with his "Tweaking' of a very successful bait that works everywhere muskies live.
But for him to have better success with this new lure on high pressured Vermilion than any other lure in his boat speaks volumes...
* Josh, please save me a white one...I'll be at the show on Saturday... perhaps buy you a Barly Pop of your choice !
North of 8
Posted 3/7/2023 12:18 PM (#1018695 - in reply to #1018593)

CincySkeez - 3/3/2023 8:44 PM

Love the idea, loling at the snap rings, same stuff we use on U-joints for outdrives so those will hold.

Will I buy one, no. Do I hope Josh has a better financial standing, of course, I respect and take what he says seriously.

Once, again BNelson asks the right questions.

I guess we will know if it is popular when The Musky Shop begins stocking snap ring pliers next to split ring pliers. Personally, as I have gotten older and hands have gotten stiffer, working with either on small rings has become more difficult. No pain or anything, just loss of dexterity. Not taking anything away from the design, very intriguing, just a practical consideration for me.
North of 8
Posted 3/7/2023 12:21 PM (#1018696 - in reply to #1018593)

[

Edited by North of 8 3/7/2023 12:26 PM
MartinTD
Posted 3/7/2023 1:16 PM (#1018699 - in reply to #1018695)

North of 8 - 3/7/2023 12:18 PM

Love the idea, loling at the snap rings, same stuff we use on U-joints for outdrives so those will hold.

Will I buy one, no. Do I hope Josh has a better financial standing, of course, I respect and take what he says seriously.

I guess we will know if it is popular when The Musky Shop begins stocking snap ring pliers next to split ring pliers. Personally, as I have gotten older and hands have gotten stiffer, working with either on small rings has become more difficult. No pain or anything, just loss of dexterity. Not taking anything away from the design, very intriguing, just a practical consideration for me.

Ok Boomer!

LOL! Sorry, but I couldn't think of a time where that was a more appropriate response.
North of 8
Posted 3/7/2023 1:51 PM (#1018700 - in reply to #1018699)

MartinTD - 3/7/2023 1:16 PM

North of 8 - 3/7/2023 12:18 PM

Ok Boomer!

LOL! Sorry, but I couldn't think of a time where that was a more appropriate response.

Getting old aint' for sissies.
BNelson
Posted 3/7/2023 4:42 PM (#1018708 - in reply to #1018700)

Is it apples to apples when he is using Panoptix to find and cast at muskies? Of course Josh is a great fishermen, but you commented how he might be outfishing others on V... well Josh has the latest and greatest technology. Do the other boats?
I just have a hard time believing a bucktail is going to truly outfish other bucktails. Look at the history since the Cowgirl came out... I have no doubt they work and work great. Pretty much all bucktails do casted at the right time on the right spot...
chuckski
Posted 3/7/2023 7:20 PM (#1018717 - in reply to #1018421)

No doubt sometime a new type of lure can be magic, then it turns to self filling prophecy. Back in the day everyone fished with a black bucktail so black was the best color well other colors came out and worked too. And while we are on the Boomer thing who remembers the Mepps Musky Killer coming in three blade colors Gold, Silver, and Black. Time for bed! Just kidding there's Hockey tonight.
Angling Oracle
Posted 3/8/2023 8:45 AM (#1018731 - in reply to #1018708)

BNelson - 3/7/2023 4:42 PM

Is it apples to apples when he is using Panoptix to find and cast at muskies? Of course Josh is a great fishermen, but you commented how he might be outfishing others on V... well Josh has the latest and greatest technology. Do the other boats?
I just have a hard time believing a bucktail is going to truly outfish other bucktails. Look at the history since the Cowgirl came out... I have no doubt they work and work great. Pretty much all bucktails do casted at the right time on the right spot...

Agree with these sentiments. Likewise the comments regarding tinkering with lures when could be fishing - I only get so many musky casts per season so I'm either doing that or full on taking a break, not tinkering in boat. Innovative idea and there is a market for it for sure, but for me probably grabbing a rod with something very different, down or upsizing or different brand or colour blade already in box.

We've all encountered big fish that have unique personalities that completely ignore a variety of baits put in its awareness zone yet it will respond to one particular lure or lure type consistently. This is where having something different than what the previous folks have thrown at it comes into play and a place for a lure like this - or our own tinker job which we all have (and keep to ourselves if very effective).

Edited by Angling Oracle 3/8/2023 8:52 AM
Angling Oracle
Posted 3/8/2023 8:54 AM (#1018732 - in reply to #1018731)

^

Edited by Angling Oracle 3/8/2023 9:03 AM
nar160
Posted 3/9/2023 12:33 PM (#1018781 - in reply to #1018708)

BNelson - 3/7/2023 4:42 PM

My understanding from talking to Josh and watching the video is that most of those fish were shallow or in cover. For shallow rocks/weeds/sand, livescope has very limited utility, and with deeper cover, you can use scope to see follows but not necessarily find the fish before casting at them. My impression was that most or all of those fish were not caught sharpshooting.

I'd like to put forth a modified version of your second paragraph: two bucktails with the same blades and similar skirt and weight, averaged over all lakes and years, will have very similar results. I think that's a reasonable assumption. That wouldn't mean that on a given body of water during a given time period they are equal. I don't doubt it was a hot bait on Vermilion and elsewhere this summer and that may continue into the near future.

For what it's worth, I tested the clevis last fall for Josh, but not in the exact configuration he's selling. I made up a double 12 with it that I used casting and trolling. The way I built it and the conditions made for somewhat of a poor test of its catching ability - I built it light to go slow shallow after dark, but this year I saw very few fish shallow, period. Leading up to turnover I spent time trolling it deeper (behind lead). That can be a real tough time on Tonka, but I did have several follows and a bite from a mid 40s fish that I lost at the net, which was better action than the other baits I was playing with at the time. Overall I didn't have it in action during a very good time to really test it out.

Maybe the one most relevant experience (or nonexperience!): One day I was out at the same time as Josh on Tonka, and during a short window I had 3 follows (using other baits) while his client caught a 49 on the 8/9 prototype.

I will say that it spun great, even at slow speeds. It also held up well through miles of trolling. I'm looking forward to playing with it more next year and planning to pick up a production unit in the 8/9 configuration he had so much action on as well.
Troyz.
Posted 3/10/2023 2:18 AM (#1018789 - in reply to #1018666)

Brad everyone on vermilion is sharp shooting, casting there is as common as row trolling! Lol. As previously stated the fish caught shallow structure, and are much different in sound with square tube and give off a unique grind you can feel in rod. Biggest benefit is ability to change blades ran 8/9 combo a bunch, then swith over to 10/9s. Can change ccolor of blade as need and lighting conditionsbor lakes. It is a new unique tool to add to the arsenal.

Troyz
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/24/2023 5:56 PM (#1019235 - in reply to #1018789)

Troyz. - 3/10/2023 2:18 AM

Brad everyone on vermilion is sharp shooting, casting there is as common as row trolling! Lol. As previously stated the fish caught shallow structure, and are much different in sound with square tube and give off a unique grind you can feel in rod. Biggest benefit is ability to change blades ran 8/9 combo a bunch, then swith over to 10/9s. Can change ccolor of blade as need and lighting conditionsbor lakes. It is a new unique tool to add to the arsenal.

Troyz

Any experiment with bites over open water with it, or any note taken of ability to 'call' fish up/in deeper water with the added or different vibe? Night fished them side by side with others? Interesting concept, no doubt.

Edited by Reef Hawg 3/24/2023 5:58 PM
anderj85
Posted 7/25/2023 6:44 PM (#1022542 - in reply to #1018421)

Anyone had more time to use these?
bloatlord
Posted 7/27/2023 6:58 PM (#1022593 - in reply to #1018421)

I have. Clevis makes blades easy to change. Not as special as advertised outside that, imo.
Clark A
Posted 7/27/2023 10:43 PM (#1022598 - in reply to #1018471)

That is very funny and possibly true! This is in response to Todd's page 1 square tube Globe comment.

Edited by Clark A 7/27/2023 11:14 PM
Pikebait
Posted 7/28/2023 8:34 PM (#1022617 - in reply to #1022598)

There will always be a newest and greatest lure ever

The fact of the matter is lures are just tools and a good fisherman that knows how to apply them will make that lure look good but it still won’t elevate a crappy fisherman to their level

As for this buck tail I won’t bother buying one as I don’t think it will make a major impact into my fishing. I also don’t want to pack all kinds of blades and switch them on the water. If I am going to swap lures to adjust for the conditions I just want to snap it on my leader and go

To each their own but to me it’s just another inline blade
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)