Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Ideal Musky set-up?

Message Subject: Ideal Musky set-up?
awfireman
Posted 2/7/2023 6:00 AM (#1017704)
Subject: Ideal Musky set-up?

Hello,

After years of fishing for Smallmouth, Largemouth and prying the local ocean waters for striped-bass, I have decided to target Muskys, as it is a fish I have always wanted to catch but have never got the opportunity. I plan to change that this year.

What is the ideal set-up? MH rod or H? Spin or Baitcaster? And what is the ideal rod length and action?

Also, anyone from Massachusetts that has an idea of where some good Musky Spots are? Western Mass?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have found in my 30+ years of fishing these forums are a gold-mine of knowledge from real anglers with lots of experience.

I appreciate any help/advice anyone has

-Fireman
muskymartin67
Posted 2/7/2023 6:57 AM (#1017705 - in reply to #1017704)
Subject: Re: Ideal Musky set-up?

Definitely baitcaster but rod will depend on lure you are using they have ratings for a reason. For example it wouldn't be ideal to throw a lure that weighs 12 oz with a rod that is rated for 2-6oz. There's too many variables to determine what the ideal rod is as it will change on per every scenario all depends on lakes or rivers you will be targeting and the types of lures you will be using also are you only casting or perhaps trolling fishing from shore or from a boat are you planning on just catching a couple fish just to accomplish your goal? There really isn't a 1 dedicated set up that is do all but if you provide more information nfo we can probably get you in the right direction, this probably sounds confusing, but chasing muskies is a lot different than some other species
Cedar
Posted 2/7/2023 9:05 AM (#1017709 - in reply to #1017704)
Subject: RE: Ideal Musky set-up?

As said above, there is no "ideal setup" for Muskies. Ask 10 people that question, and you will get at least 9 different answers. To start out, I'd suggest going with something that you are comfortable, or most familiar with... either spinning, or baitcasting. Baitcasting is more common for Muskies, but there are quite a few that do use spinning combo's. A good 4000-6000 size spinning reel is a pretty tough pc of equipment. It's possible some of your bigger Bass, or Striper equipment could be used for Muskies. Common rods can be found from 7' to 10'+, and throw lures from 1/2 -24 oz. An 8'-8.5' might be a good starting point, in a medium heavy (up to 3 or 4 oz), or heavy action (up to 6 or 8 oz). It will depend on how you fish, where you fish, and what lures you are going to fish with. There are a lot of variables to consider, so pick a starting point, and go from there. You can always change or add equipment down the road. Good luck.
mikie
Posted 2/7/2023 9:29 AM (#1017710 - in reply to #1017704)

My reply to such questions is - go fish with someone who knows a bit abt muskie fishing before you lay out money on equipment. Shell out the bucks for a good guide on a decent lake and ask a ton of questions during the day. Try out his/her equipment, see what suits you the best. You may find that this kind of fishing isn't what you thought it would be - if that's the case you just saved having to sell stuff you barely used. good luck with it, m

ps you asked abt muskie lakes. I'm a bit rusty on my east coast geography, but Muskies inc has chapters in PA, NJ, NY, and the great state of Maine. Here's a link for contacts. Otherwise, I suggest you contact your state DNR to see if they know of muskies in your region and what they stock. m
https://muskiesinc.org/mi-chapters/

Edited by mikie 2/7/2023 10:08 AM
kdawg
Posted 2/7/2023 10:11 AM (#1017714 - in reply to #1017710)

What Mikie said. Kdawg
RJ_692
Posted 2/7/2023 10:50 AM (#1017717 - in reply to #1017704)

if you bass fish and striper fish you have everything you need to catch a musky.

if you want to be a musky fisherman i'd start with tools to handle and release them safely, your safety and the fishes.

then work your way into rods / reels that best fit the tools (lures) you want to use to catch fish. This can get very mission specific. I've caught muskies, northerns, bass, catfish, sturgeon, carp, walleye, and more on the same exact 7'6" Shimano Compre H action with a ABU 6501 C3 with 80LB power pro. but its not the best choice for any of those.

With current rod technology i'd probably for for a heavy action 8-81/2 footer, and whatever reels you like. All will work and break at some point.

Edited by RJ_692 2/7/2023 10:52 AM
BillM
Posted 2/7/2023 11:15 AM (#1017719 - in reply to #1017704)

Do yourself a favour and hire a guide. This will give you a sneak peak into what's required to fish for these things successfully. There's no single 'ideal' setup.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/7/2023 11:37 AM (#1017725 - in reply to #1017717)

Get a St. Croix big nasty and a tranx 400hg with 80 pound cortland masterbraid - 180lb flourocarbon leader with staylok snaps. That will throw a very large amount of baits.

There are very few situations where a spinning rod would work.

Like others have said, the release tools are the most important. Large coated net, long pliers, knipex bolt cutters.

As far as places to fish - I don't know how much help you'll get here. Most of us are in canada and the midwest states. Use google to find lakes with muskies where you are.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/7/2023 11:47 AM (#1017726 - in reply to #1017704)

Have to agree with others. For a rod I’d go with heavy as for bait or spinning it’s what you feel more comfortable with. Can always use a big ocean reel.

Second would be get the right tools.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/100343.html

mikie
Posted 2/7/2023 12:23 PM (#1017729 - in reply to #1017704)

Google found me this: m

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/northern-pike-and-tiger-muskell...
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/7/2023 12:53 PM (#1017732 - in reply to #1017704)

Use a heavier rod, heavier braided line and larger lures than you are normally inclined to use, and you'll be fine. Yes, good release tools and a big net too. Don't be afraid to cast all day for one opportunity. Catch a big one!
awfireman
Posted 2/7/2023 1:19 PM (#1017734 - in reply to #1017709)

My Striper outfit is a ZeeBass ZX25 (30lb drag) and a 10'8" custom surfcasting rod made specifically for large bass casting large eels into rock-piles. I had it made by GW Customs, local rod builder her in Mass. It can handle 50# stripers with no issues and all my striper fishing is done in some pretty gnarly rock piles places from the Surf. Tons of power and a bit of finesse is needed to get these larger stripers out of these area. I think a 10'8" would be over-kill and would be pretty cumbersome casting from a 12' boat with 2 anglers aboard.

I will be fishing in the New England, mostly Mass. and I have heard we have some good Musky waters on the MA/NY border. This is all new to me and I guess I will learn as I go.

As far as what lures I want to fish with....I LOVE top-water Bass fishing so I am thinking Zara's and the like. I also am pretty handy for Smallies on Spinner Baits but didnt know if these spinners can hold up to a large Muskie?? I am handy with both spinning and Baitcasting reels so reel choice wouldn't matter. Just looking for advice on what might be better for the species.

As I said, this fishery is completely new to me. It sounds like I cant get a setup that "does it all"?

Thanks,

-Aaron
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/7/2023 2:02 PM (#1017736 - in reply to #1017734)

awfireman - 2/7/2023 1:19 PM

My Striper outfit is a ZeeBass ZX25 (30lb drag) and a 10'8" custom surfcasting rod made specifically for large bass casting large eels into rock-piles. I had it made by GW Customs, local rod builder her in Mass. It can handle 50# stripers with no issues and all my striper fishing is done in some pretty gnarly rock piles places from the Surf. Tons of power and a bit of finesse is needed to get these larger stripers out of these area. I think a 10'8" would be over-kill and would be pretty cumbersome casting from a 12' boat with 2 anglers aboard.

I will be fishing in the New England, mostly Mass. and I have heard we have some good Musky waters on the MA/NY border. This is all new to me and I guess I will learn as I go.

As far as what lures I want to fish with....I LOVE top-water Bass fishing so I am thinking Zara's and the like. I also am pretty handy for Smallies on Spinner Baits but didnt know if these spinners can hold up to a large Muskie?? I am handy with both spinning and Baitcasting reels so reel choice wouldn't matter. Just looking for advice on what might be better for the species.

As I said, this fishery is completely new to me. It sounds like I cant get a setup that "does it all"?

Thanks,

-Aaron

While one set up can't do it all - one setup can do most. The combo I listed earlier would be ideal. You can use a cheaper rod as well. Chaos tackle, Tackle Industries, among other will do. 9' h or xh will be best. Your rod and reel aren't necessarily heavy to reel in the fish. They don't fight that hard. They are high quality heavy duty pieces of equipment meant to hold up to abuse by the baits you're casting over and over again.

As far as baits, yes muskies will bite the baits you're taking about but they probably won't hold up as well as stuff specifically made for muskie fishing. Thorne Bros, The Musky Shop, Team Rhino or Musky Tackle Online has all the baits you may want.

You're opening a can of worms thinking of muskie fishing. There's a lot to it with technique and equipment. If you're serious about it, give it a shot with some cheaper equipment. If you end up liking it, it will consume you and your wallet.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 2/7/2023 2:04 PM
Ranger
Posted 2/7/2023 2:15 PM (#1017737 - in reply to #1017734)

Welcome! Maybe this will help......

"I'm new to golfing, what club should I buy that will do it all?"

Can't play golf with just one club. But you don't need a bag full, either. You can get by just fine with a couple. Same with muskie fishing except no putter. Start with a bucktail rod just light enough to throw Mepps Muskie Killers and a crankbait just rod heavy enough to throw a 10" Jake. Load them both with 80# PowerPro.

Also get a big net and release tools. And figure out how you'll take pics of your freshwater barracuda.
Muskie101
Posted 2/7/2023 3:32 PM (#1017739 - in reply to #1017737)

100 lb power pro on saltwater rods and reels or gear specifically designed for muskies
awfireman
Posted 2/7/2023 6:19 PM (#1017743 - in reply to #1017739)

Perfect! Gives me a reason to tell me wife why I need more rods/reels. We have been married so she will get used to it.

It sounds like Musky fishing is no different (in terms of gear needed) than fishing for Smallies or LM. A rod/reel for every application...cranks rod/reel, topwater rod/reel, spinnerbait rod/reel, finesse rod reel, then you need duplicate's "just in case"!!

I know some here mentioned a guided trip, but that's not my style. I have been fishing the salt and fresh waters since I was kid and part of the allure of fishing for me has been figuring things out on my own. Catching powerful toothy creatures isn't new to me...I have caught my share of 25# Blue-Fish that can easily severe fingers off the bone if one isnt careful. I also understand about catch and release and how careful one needs to be to make that happen. Big Stripers, say 40+ lbs, can easily be killed if one doesn't handle them correctly. I 100% support catch and release and have let me fair share of big fish swim vs. skin mount. Reps are the way to go and Tim Overbaugh from Minnesota just did a Rep for me on of a beautiful 7.2# Smallie I caught in a small, obscure lake on the VT/Canadian border. My point is I think the most important advice so so is the gear needed to land, and return to the water, a big Muskie if I am lucky enough to catch one.

As far as lakes here in Mass. I talked to a biologist from MA Fish and Wildlife Biologist today and my best bet for a Trophy is Pontoosuc Lake on the MA/NY border. I guess they can get pretty large and the fishery is thriving. He also mentioned they have recently started a stocking program and they are on their 5th year of stocking 10 different lakes and ponds here in MA> Sounds like Musky will be a common gamefish here in Mass, eventually. Another reason why I wont mind investing in the necessary gear.

Anyway, I truly appreciate all the advice. I will sift through all the rod and reels mentioned here and make decisions from there.

One more question: What are the best times of year for the topwater bite? Sunny or cloudy conditions? Windy or Calm? Seems like there is a lot of experience on this board and love to hear some thoughts on fishing conditions.

Thanks again!

-Fireman

awfireman
Posted 2/7/2023 6:57 PM (#1017745 - in reply to #1017704)

One more question, and last one I promise. What size drag is acceptable for Muskies?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/7/2023 9:22 PM (#1017747 - in reply to #1017745)

Here in Minnesota topwater works from opening day in June right up until ice up in November. Any wind, any sky conditions. Generally people consider cloudy days a good topwater day but truly they can be great in any conditions.

Around a 20lb drag give or take is fine. Tranx 400 is 17.5 I think which is an excellent reel. I prefer a high drag. Most people lock down or have a very tight drag and either loosen it or thumb the spool after you hook up. A locked down drag is best for hook ups.
Cedar
Posted 2/7/2023 11:17 PM (#1017750 - in reply to #1017745)

awfireman - 2/7/2023 6:57 PM

One more question, and last one I promise. What size drag is acceptable for Muskies?

Don't overthink it. People have caught Muskies on ultralight gear. Most reels on the market today have as much, or more drag then the reels used for Muskies back in the day. Pick a reel, and it'll work.
RobertK
Posted 2/8/2023 10:15 AM (#1017755 - in reply to #1017704)

The suggestion to have dedicated release tools for muskie fishing is important, I think.

A muskie-sized net is probably the biggest investment. Common brands are Drifter Predator, Frabill, Clam, and Stowmaster. Most folks have their preference on these, and there are entire threads on the virtues of each. Whichever you choose, use it to keep the fish under control while you get your other tools ready to unhook them as well as to let them revive if they are having trouble maintaining their equilibrium after hook removal.

Long-necked pliers and other similar hook-out tools. At least 11" long to keep your hands away from teeth and hooks. I really like my Baker Heavy Duty Hook Out.

Bolt cutters to cut hooks when they are difficult to remove. Knipex brand are second to none and worth the investment. They are designed to cut through nails, etc... If you ever find yourself "bonding with a fish via a shared treble hook", you will appreciate having the Knipex aboard. My preferred version is Knipex product # 71 12 200 (with the spring and the lock).

Jaw spreaders. This is a bit more on the edge. I use them for incidental pike more often than I use it on muskies. Sometimes muskies will clam up, and having a jaw spreader can help you get at hooks that the muskie just doesn't seem to want you to get to.

Others may have other suggestions, but I think these are the basics.

Cheers,
Bob
chasintails
Posted 2/8/2023 12:19 PM (#1017760 - in reply to #1017704)

I know you said a guide isn't really your style, but I'd rethink this. There are no shortcuts in this game, and using a guide is about as good of a way to gain valuable experience or shorten the learning curve as there is. Not only will you learn the equipment and tackle, but also the techniques, how to work specific lures, seasonal movements, etc. Time on the water with an experienced muskie angler is worth the price of admission.
nar160
Posted 2/8/2023 12:42 PM (#1017761 - in reply to #1017704)

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/northern-pike-and-tiger-muskell...

Looks like they only stock tigers (pike-muskie hybrids) in MA. They had a stocking program back in 00-06 but it seems it was discontinued until 2015. 8 years is long enough where they should be of decent size now.

Your other options seem a bit further away- NJ, PA, NY, VT (Champlain), ME.
Muthsky
Posted 2/24/2023 12:35 PM (#1018348 - in reply to #1017704)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vb6Ra2B2k&t=1s&ab_channel=TheMusky...
Cover Dog
Posted 2/24/2023 3:17 PM (#1018354 - in reply to #1017704)

Drug addict’s think MUSKY FISHING is too expensive… enjoy you new sport.

Edited by Cover Dog 2/24/2023 3:20 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 2/24/2023 8:11 PM (#1018366 - in reply to #1017704)

awfireman - 2/7/2023 6:00 AM

Hello,

After years of fishing for Smallmouth, Largemouth and prying the local ocean waters for striped-bass, I have decided to target Muskys, as it is a fish I have always wanted to catch but have never got the opportunity. I plan to change that this year.

What is the ideal set-up? MH rod or H? Spin or Baitcaster? And what is the ideal rod length and action?

Also, anyone from Massachusetts that has an idea of where some good Musky Spots are? Western Mass?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have found in my 30+ years of fishing these forums are a gold-mine of knowledge from real anglers with lots of experience.

I appreciate any help/advice anyone has

-Fireman

This sport is like dating pretty women, sailing or doing drugs. You'll lose a ton of money, remember a little bit of it and if you're really lucky get some good pictures out of it.
johnsonaaro2
Posted 2/28/2023 3:07 PM (#1018439 - in reply to #1017704)

keep it simple... one XH rod rated in that 2-8 ounce range, one XXH rod rated in the 6-16 oz range, both with tranx 400 HG's with 80-100 lb braid, power handle for the tranx on the XXH. 9'6"-10" length on the rods. With those two combos you'd be able to throw 90% of musky baits and present them very well. really no way to get away with 1 combo without being limited.
Ogandrews
Posted 3/3/2023 12:00 PM (#1018565 - in reply to #1017704)

If you are already used to using a 10’ rod for striper then definitely get a 9-10’ musky rod. If you wanted one setup then I would get either a Thorne stealth XH or a chaos 20/20 shock and awe which is a xxh with a tranx 400hg. St croix big nasty is an option too but not as good of a rod imo after owning all 3. These rods will let you throw small bucktails up to working rubber . If I was going to only have 1 setup I would go on the heavier side because it’s easier to throw a little bait on a heavier rod than it is to try to throw big rubber on a rod that’s too light for it. Put 80lbs courtland masterbraid on it and you’ll be good. Get a couple 49 strand or floro leaders and all of the release tools. Don’t go musky fishing unless you have a real musky net and have educated yourself on how to handle and release them properly.

My other recommendation would be if you’re only getting one rod spend a little extra and get something nice like I listed. If you get cheap stuff it’s going to be heavier and you will tire quicker when you’re not used to musky fishing. Getting something light like a 20/20 or a stealth will make learning musky fishing a lot less painful
Competitor175
Posted 3/21/2023 9:02 AM (#1019123 - in reply to #1017704)

I think Muskie fishing is the most addictive thing. I'm constantly buying stuff I don't need. If it came down to just a starter kit It would have to be a 9' XH with a bait caster a half dozen bucktails and a few bull dawgs. I caught a Muskie in every state the year I fished the PMTT on those. So im sure it will work in western mass. Good luck.
RyanJoz
Posted 3/22/2023 5:32 AM (#1019166 - in reply to #1017704)

St croix big nasty and a Tranx 400 5.8:1. Add the power handle from the HG and you can throw 3/4 oz bass baits to double 12 bucktails. This is the most universal rod I have ever used.
muskyhunter07
Posted 3/22/2023 8:31 AM (#1019171 - in reply to #1019166)

Tranx 400 with a thorne bros 10ft H and XH for everything. Awesome setups.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)