Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> How to Value Used Boats with Evinrudes

Reply New post
Message Subject: How to Value Used Boats with Evinrudes
dbach17
Posted 2/4/2023 10:48 PM (#1017640)
Subject: How to Value Used Boats with Evinrudes

I just sold my aluminum boat now that the kids are getting bigger and casting more and we are looking for a fiberglass in the 19-22 foot range. Having invested many hours into searching and figuring out what the market prices on new and used boats looks like right now, the one thing I'm still trying to get a better grasp on is how Evinrudes are impacting boat value.

For instance, the majority of Ranger or Vexus boats (just two examples) that I'm finding have Evinrudes on them, and it seems like when one of the larger manufacturers comes up with a non-Evinrude they are selling much faster.

Should I stay away completely? I know they are good motors, but from a financial perspective, on what is not likely to be my last boat since I'm 35, it doesn't seem like a very good investment.

As an example, I found a 2020 Vexus DVX20 with the big motor being a 300 ETEC with 135 hours on it and 5 years left on the warranty. They are trying to get $75,000 for it. I think I'm less concerned about warranty and service (although still a little concerned), and more so with what the value might be in 5-10 years when I'm thinking about moving to another boat.

I'm not as well informed in this area, as I've only bought one boat new in 2016 and that's my experience, so I'd love to hear from anyone who's got more knowledge than me.
dickP
Posted 2/5/2023 6:40 AM (#1017642 - in reply to #1017640)
Subject: Re: How to Value Used Boats with Evinrudes

IMO great motors but right or wrong,no doubt there's a drop in 'value' with Evinrude out of business.Justified?Probably not IF parts and service remain available.
North of 8
Posted 2/5/2023 6:50 AM (#1017643 - in reply to #1017642)

I badly damaged the lower unit on my Suzuki hitting a submerged, floating log. The dealer I took it to said that last summer he could get Suzuki and Mercury parts pretty quickly but Evinrude parts were almost impossible to get. Just one dealer and maybe they are better now. Might try talking to former Evinrude dealers in your area and see what they are experiencing. Dealer I was at sells Suzuki and Mercury, so maybe that influenced who gets parts if they are scarce.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/5/2023 10:16 AM (#1017649 - in reply to #1017643)

Call Barnacle Bill’s marina and talk with them about evinrude parts availability. They were one of the largest dealers in the US and operate the etec forum. I haven’t seen anyone on etec forum complaining about availability unless it is the older gen 1 vst or injectors.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 2/5/2023 11:41 AM (#1017654 - in reply to #1017640)

I personally wouldn't buy one. If I get my 2016 ProV with a Merc sold i'll again be in the market. However I won't even go look at a Evinrude regardless of price. I have nothing to back that up other than personal preference. If the deal is hot enough you could re-rig a new motor and not be under water then you have nothing to lose I guess.
dbach17
Posted 2/5/2023 11:58 AM (#1017657 - in reply to #1017640)
Subject: RE: How to Value Used Boats with Evinrudes

Thank you all for the feedback! I think I'm going to pass on Evinrudes for the moment unless the deal is so incredibly good that repowering it one day wouldn't kill me.
North of 8
Posted 2/5/2023 1:56 PM (#1017660 - in reply to #1017657)
Subject: RE: How to Value Used Boats with Evinrudes

dbach17 - 2/5/2023 11:58 AM

Thank you all for the feedback! I think I'm going to pass on Evinrudes for the moment unless the deal is so incredibly good that repowering it one day wouldn't kill me.

Since Evinrude's parent company, BRP is still around and thriving, I think I would take RyanJoz suggestion and talk to a high volume former dealer before giving up on them entirely. BRP promised to support them when they ceased production. I would expect that they would sell at a discount to Mercury or Yamaha. How much of a discount is something you would have to decide.
NickD
Posted 2/6/2023 10:00 AM (#1017677 - in reply to #1017660)

I purchased an 06 620 with an Evinrude this past fall. I planned to repower so engine issues weren’t a problem but the process was a bit eye opening.

Most places I called about repower options wouldn’t even remove the Etech much less give a money for it. I have one place near me that works on them. I ended up getting very little for the engine. I wasn’t expecting a lot but got even less.

People buying Etech boats should carefully research that they have a place to work on the engine and be aware of trade in values during a repower.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 2/6/2023 5:20 PM (#1017692 - in reply to #1017640)

Do we have any dealers here? Did BRP offer any kind of buyback for E-Tec motors that were out there or did they just shove them up the dealers backside?

Edited by Brian Hoffies 2/6/2023 5:22 PM
RJ_692
Posted 2/8/2023 7:09 AM (#1017751 - in reply to #1017640)

at that budget point, your not far off from a Ranger 620 Cup, and a new Yar Craft 209 SP is about in that price range https://yarcraft.com/promotions/209-tfx-sp-special-package/

Always expensive but know exactly what you are getting
mikie
Posted 2/8/2023 2:24 PM (#1017763 - in reply to #1017640)

This may help compare prices:
https://www.jdpower.com/boats

m
dbach17
Posted 2/8/2023 5:46 PM (#1017771 - in reply to #1017640)

It looks like I'm going to end up spending into the 80s but I'm really thrilled. I found a 2022 Skeeter WX2200 demo with a 300 Yamaha. Originally I thought I was looking for another 5-8 year boat and now I hopefully found one for 10+.

Thank you again everyone, I feel pretty good about continuing to look and going a different direction than the Evinrude (no offense to anyone who loves theirs!).
Vilas15
Posted 2/8/2023 8:20 PM (#1017772 - in reply to #1017771)

Black and white located in MI? Just saw that one posted on FB. Looks like a beast!
dbach17
Posted 2/8/2023 8:39 PM (#1017773 - in reply to #1017772)

Yep, that's the one! There was some room for negotiating and I couldn't find too many used ones which means either they suck and no one can resell them, or people tend to like them and hang onto them.

I know they aren't quite as prolific/ubiquitous as Rangers but I thought I'd be able to find a bunch of more recent used ones. That wasn't the case, so I hope we will be happy with it. Lots more room for the six year old to cast now. He's pretty good, but sometimes it got dicey in the 17' aluminum. Love that it will hold the 10' rods in the port storage too.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 2/8/2023 11:38 PM (#1017777 - in reply to #1017640)

You will like the Skeeter. They are every bit as good as a Ranger. Enjoy the boat and the safety it will provide your son.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)