Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Winter

Message Subject: Winter
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/14/2022 2:30 PM (#1013747)
Subject: Winter

Watching the live cam at Bents Camp and it appears that winter is here.

What will the Winternet topics be this year?
K and M tackle
Posted 10/14/2022 4:21 PM (#1013748 - in reply to #1013747)
Subject: Re: Winter

Snowing here in Rhinelander wi right now. That means the big girls are getting ready to play. First trip out with suckers tomorrow
ToddM
Posted 10/15/2022 1:26 AM (#1013760 - in reply to #1013747)

I don't see the current controversy going away anytime soon.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/15/2022 7:08 AM (#1013764 - in reply to #1013760)

I don't know that the problem is the man with the southern accent so much as the way the two men (also with southern accents) handled rolling out the product that the man with the southern accent developed. I also wonder if his accent was Wisconsinese or Minnesotan if he would be more accepted in his efforts to edutain and infomarket the muskie hunting public. I personally want a printed product and I'm sure people have knocked on the doors of Mr. Saric and Mr. Heiting to ask if they have no-compete clauses and, if so, for how long. The problem is three-fold: Advertisers want more control over their messaging, they won't pay as much to do it and printing/postage costs are ridiculously high. But having said that, I read "Time On The Water" on my phone and tablet this year and did not die. Although my September did look like Mr. Gardner's, sadly.
mikie
Posted 10/15/2022 8:38 AM (#1013768 - in reply to #1013747)

"There's a southern accent Where I come from
The young-uns call it 'country', the yankees call it dumb..." - T. Petty
m
chuckski
Posted 10/15/2022 8:44 AM (#1013769 - in reply to #1013747)

I don't know about Jim Steve plain retired. (maybe no Jim had something to do with it).
sworrall
Posted 10/15/2022 8:50 AM (#1013770 - in reply to #1013764)

tundrawalker00 - 10/15/2022 7:08 AM

I don't know that the problem is the man with the southern accent so much as the way the two men (also with southern accents) handled rolling out the product that the man with the southern accent developed. I also wonder if his accent was Wisconsinese or Minnesotan if he would be more accepted in his efforts to edutain and infomarket the muskie hunting public. I personally want a printed product and I'm sure people have knocked on the doors of Mr. Saric and Mr. Heiting to ask if they have no-compete clauses and, if so, for how long. The problem is three-fold: Advertisers want more control over their messaging, they won't pay as much to do it and printing/postage costs are ridiculously high. But having said that, I read "Time On The Water" on my phone and tablet this year and did not die. Although my September did look like Mr. Gardner's, sadly.

My problem with one of the guys was business related. If their experience was the same as mine, and it apparently was, then I completely understand the statement they released. It had zero to do with accents and everything to do with credibility in a broad sense. Too small a biz not to keep things real. So let's not make it more controversial than it needs to be. Magazines and apps don't have an accent.

By the way, there have been several suggestions to take the Muskies Inc publication digital. As long as the members want that magazine showing up in the mail, it will be on paper, but MI is a non-profit, so there's a BIG difference. I know what it costs to publish a magazine and understand the pressure MH was under. Jim sold it at the right time.
7.62xJay
Posted 10/15/2022 12:40 PM (#1013775 - in reply to #1013747)

So Steve, in your opinion,purely talking $ relationship of (membership dues - operation costs - publication costs= X rainy day funds/Savings(let's just say)). If more money is needed in membership dues to yield the desired amount; Than I don't understand why neither organization would not reach out to the people providing the funding first and lay out a proposed price hike in subscription fees in order to Guage if members would rather pay higher fees to operate as normal, or they'll have to submit to a reform caused by the confines of less $.
sworrall
Posted 10/15/2022 1:19 PM (#1013777 - in reply to #1013775)

7.62xJay - 10/15/2022 12:40 PM

So Steve, in your opinion,purely talking $ relationship of (membership dues - operation costs - publication costs= X rainy day funds/Savings(let's just say)). If more money is needed in membership dues to yield the desired amount; Than I don't understand why neither organization would not reach out to the people providing the funding first and lay out a proposed price hike in subscription fees in order to Guage if members would rather pay higher fees to operate as normal, or they'll have to submit to a reform caused by the confines of less $.

I never said Muskies Inc needs more to publish the magazine, see the full financial statement on the MI website, it's public information. Our members and contributors are MORE than generous. I said as long as the members want it in print, it will be.

I can't speak for anyone else's financials, but understand how a magazine like MH would no longer be profitable in today's environment. If they decided to call no-joy and go digital, that's the call, it happens all the time in the magazine publishing business. I didn't ask Tony what the plan for the future may be after straightening out the issues. Try reaching out to MH with those questions and comments.
North of 8
Posted 10/15/2022 2:24 PM (#1013778 - in reply to #1013777)

Frankly, I cannot understand why folks were surprised by the MH decision to go digital. Newsweek, which I used to subscribe to just simply folded, remaining only in a vague digital form. Sports Illustrated, which I subscribed to for decades, cut way back. I had just renewed and suddenly they were going to be bi-weekly or monthly instead of weekly. No refund from either. This holds true for dozens of established magazines, with far larger subscription bases than MH. And it is not just cost of paper, mailing, etc.
Advertisers love targeted ads and while MH certainly provided a specific market audience, they can get even more specific with online ads. Do a product search online and you will be a recipient of such an ad. Short while ago I did a search on snow plows for a utv and it was almost comical where ads for different plows and accessories showed up. My wife even got one on her FB page.

Edited by North of 8 10/15/2022 2:25 PM
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/15/2022 4:20 PM (#1013779 - in reply to #1013778)

I don't know who is going to publish what going forward, but I sure would like to see a muskie magazine/web product borrow "A Day on the Lake" from Bassmaster. Man, I love learning about their decision-making processes in that feature.
RLSea
Posted 10/15/2022 9:29 PM (#1013788 - in reply to #1013747)

It is no surprise MH could not make a go of the magazine. The customer base is ridiculously small compared to other printed media which is ALL under pressure. Us old fa**s love the print - I still get the Tribune. But because of the current advertising model as stated above, the operating costs, and just the way people consume news and information now, print media that is not supported by something more than simple sales will go away.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/16/2022 9:38 AM (#1013790 - in reply to #1013747)

I'm a newspaper guy I guess. Started reading Don Riley in the sports section of the St. Paul paper as a kid. As I aged I started leafing through the paper in the different sections reading stories that popped out at me. Eventually I even started reading the front section above and below the fold. Because of that I think I became kind of balanced, I was able to see stories from more than one view. Today with the digital stuff I don't think people see things from as many angles nor do they form much for opinions until they see which way the crowd is going, then they hop in and go with it.

I miss my newspaper as much as I miss anything since I moved up here. Winternet will be more of the "smart guys" trying to convince the rest of us that they know all the answers..........even to unasked questions. Sadly many will go with the crowd as they don't know how to research and form their own opinion.
ToddM
Posted 10/16/2022 9:45 AM (#1013791 - in reply to #1013747)

I'd much rather have the content on my take anywhere always with me phone.. like it or not that's the future. We can go with it or yell.at the kids to get off your lawn.

Our club has been able to reduce our printing costs by thousands by getting people to receive it digital. That money goes right into our stocking and youth programs.

Edited by ToddM 10/16/2022 9:48 AM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/16/2022 10:07 AM (#1013792 - in reply to #1013747)

My guess is most of your membership was recruited in the beginning via printed stories and ads. That membership is getting up in age, are all your younger guys joining because of digital stories getting out locally? Is your membership flat, declining or increasing?
ToddM
Posted 10/16/2022 11:27 AM (#1013793 - in reply to #1013792)

Brian Hoffies - 10/16/2022 10:07 AM

My guess is most of your membership was recruited in the beginning via printed stories and ads. That membership is getting up in age, are all your younger guys joining because of digital stories getting out locally? Is your membership flat, declining or increasing?

It's declining. We used to be over 300 members and now just under 200. We were spending upwards of 5k a year to print and send out a newsletter. We went to our membership,. explained to them the cost and to opt out of getting it by mail. Almost all did. It's a win not only for putting that money to better use but we can now add way more content to the newsletter.

I wish there was a way for the younger generation to see the value in M.I. and what it's doing for them at the club level. If everyone contributed just a little bit the clubs would be thriving. They don't need full commitment participation a.donation of any kind, participating in a fundraiser, or anything of value towards it, one thing added collectively would be huge.

Edited by ToddM 10/16/2022 11:30 AM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/16/2022 11:37 AM (#1013794 - in reply to #1013747)

I just wonder how these organizations will recruit new members in the upcoming years.
sworrall
Posted 10/16/2022 11:50 AM (#1013795 - in reply to #1013794)

Brian Hoffies - 10/16/2022 11:37 AM

I just wonder how these organizations will recruit new members in the upcoming years.

One of the effective Muskies Inc recruiting platforms is Facebook. One of my committee's efforts in the coming year will be to convince the Chapters to use social media to connect with, inform, and recruit new members.
North of 8
Posted 10/16/2022 11:52 AM (#1013796 - in reply to #1013794)

For whatever reason, I think a lot of groups are struggling to recruit members. Service clubs, like Kiwanis, Lions, etc. have been having that problem for some time. In banking, belonging to a service club and being active was important for officers and professionals. But, it was harder to get young people to join. When I was retiring, I tried to talk several young professionals to join the service club I was leaving. I heard the same thing: Their kids are so involved in so many things, they don't have time to do stuff themselves.
chuckski
Posted 10/16/2022 11:55 AM (#1013797 - in reply to #1013747)

The more things change the more they stay the same. I remember my grandparents getting lost in technology and at 62 I think I'm following suit in tweeny years I'll really be lost.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 10/16/2022 1:53 PM (#1013801 - in reply to #1013797)

chuckski - 10/16/2022 11:55 AM

The more things change the more they stay the same. I remember my grandparents getting lost in technology and at 62 I think I'm following suit in tweeny years I'll really be lost.

I don't know that it's so much that I get lost in the technology as that I don't see the value or upside of it. I really struggle to any any value in Facebook. I will admit I enjoy You Tube.
ToddM
Posted 10/16/2022 2:14 PM (#1013803 - in reply to #1013747)

In wish Muskies Inc would get the musky show discount incentive going again. Save a percentage on purchases if they signed up with a club at the show with participating vendors. I remember if you say bought a net you basically saved enough the membership was free. The first year they did it we signed up 90 people.
7.62xJay
Posted 10/16/2022 3:00 PM (#1013805 - in reply to #1013793)

ToddM - 10/16/2022 11:27 AM

It's declining. We used to be over 300 members and now just under 200. We were spending upwards of 5k a year to print and send out a newsletter. We went to our membership,. explained to them the cost and to opt out of getting it by mail. Almost all did. It's a win not only for putting that money to better use but we can now add way more content to the newsletter.

I wish there was a way for the younger generation to see the value in M.I. and what it's doing for them at the club level. If everyone contributed just a little bit the clubs would be thriving. They don't need full commitment participation a.donation of any kind, participating in a fundraiser, or anything of value towards it, one thing added collectively would be huge.

I don't think that it's that they don't see the value, I think it's that they don't know M.I. exists period. I only leatned of it's existence last year because of this forum.
ToddM
Posted 10/16/2022 3:08 PM (#1013806 - in reply to #1013805)

7.62xJay - 10/16/2022 3:00 PM

ToddM - 10/16/2022 11:27 AM

I don't think that it's that they don't see the value, I think it's that they don't know M.I. exists period. I only leatned of it's existence last year because of this forum.

Agree that's part of it. Many say they don't have the time and that's fine. There are so many ways to contribute that takes very little time. Direct contribution or fundraising prizes are easy. Today I procured a humidifier for our banquet. Could be anything a restaurant gift certificate anything like that. I think of all the people who have a close relationship with resorts and guide services that could get a trip, discount voucher it all adds up.

Edited by ToddM 10/16/2022 3:10 PM
chuckski
Posted 10/16/2022 3:39 PM (#1013807 - in reply to #1013747)

Our old Colorado chapter were very good at raising money. Part of that was when my dad was Chapter president we as a chapter would buy a item for X then make $100 dollars for example at the banquet. Then the next year we would buy the same item or similar and make nothing. Then the next year they (members of the board) would want to buy the same thing and my dad would say don't do it our records show we made nothing or in some cases we lost money. there's a art to making money and having a big war chest but you also have to watch what you as a chapter and organization to get the most bang for your buck and also make sure you spend your money right way to maintain your nonprofit status.
North of 8
Posted 10/16/2022 4:19 PM (#1013809 - in reply to #1013801)

Brian Hoffies - 10/16/2022 1:53 PM

chuckski - 10/16/2022 11:55 AM

I don't know that it's so much that I get lost in the technology as that I don't see the value or upside of it. I really struggle to any any value in Facebook. I will admit I enjoy You Tube.

I finally got on Facebook because more and more that is where places like restaurants, bar and grills, etc. post their specials, concerts, etc. A lot of places no longer update their web sites on a regular basis. We like live music and several places near us have it but to find who is playing, have to access Facebook.
sworrall
Posted 10/16/2022 4:47 PM (#1013811 - in reply to #1013747)

I literally live on social media and in the digital content realm most of the day. Not a bad job at all. That's actually what this place is, we just started it before social media was a thing.
chuckski
Posted 10/16/2022 5:33 PM (#1013813 - in reply to #1013747)

Marketing been around since the dawn of man, there is something (product/service) is for sale or trade. This has been promoted my whatever means of the latest forms of communication since the beginning of time and some time the product loses it's shelf life. The next generation can careless for example. It can be a lot of work to kept your product relative.
chasintails
Posted 10/17/2022 12:06 PM (#1013843 - in reply to #1013747)

Does MI have a dedicated social media person keeping them relevant on social platforms? I haven't seen anything.
OH Musky
Posted 10/17/2022 5:32 PM (#1013857 - in reply to #1013795)

sworrall - 10/16/2022 12:50 PM

Brian Hoffies - 10/16/2022 11:37 AM

One of the effective Muskies Inc recruiting platforms is Facebook. One of my committee's efforts in the coming year will be to convince the Chapters to use social media to connect with, inform, and recruit new members.

I get that MI, their chapters, or any organization, for that matter, who is trying to recruit need to use social media. But they can't forget that some of us don't use FB, IG or any other site. I attended a MI chapter tournament on a local lake this past weekend. As we don't have a local chapter, I attended one from a state club located a few hours away. Other than the name of the lake, there was no info on their website or in the newsletter. Of course, i showed up at the wrong ramp where we've launched before. Ended up texting a couple officers to find out where I needed to be and made it with a few minutes to spare before the start. Was told "it's on FB" which I don't use. If an organization goes to 100% social media with no other information outlet, they can expect some to stop attending or caring.

A bit off topic about "Winter" but as things change, membership committee thinking needs to include everyone involved. I've yet to read the last two MH e-zines because I spend 10-11 hours a day on the computer at work and have almost no desire to sit for hours on this one at home. This site, one other fishing site and one truck site is all I look at for about 15 mins total a day. I'm over my time limit now so I'll end this post...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)