Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> moon stuff

Message Subject: moon stuff
mikie
Posted 9/18/2022 9:06 AM (#1011898)
Subject: moon stuff

Mike and Anne Bartlett have run Red Wing Lodge on LOTW for more than 58 years. They count over 17,000 muskies caught from the resort. Check out this distribution of catches by moon phase from their website: m

http://www.redwinglodge.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Distribution...
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/18/2022 11:15 AM (#1011903 - in reply to #1011898)
Subject: Re: moon stuff

Very interesting!
BNelson
Posted 9/18/2022 1:53 PM (#1011912 - in reply to #1011898)

Makes perfect sense to me as 99% fish during the day on lotw. In general fishing with the moon down is preferred over up imo
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/19/2022 10:14 AM (#1011942 - in reply to #1011898)

I believe the moon has quite the influence on muskie catches, therefore I try to plan my trips around full or new moon when going to lake of the woods. A lot of other people do as well. Which means that there are probably more muskie fisherman (especially good ones) that fish around the new and full moon. More good fisherman = more muskies caught. With this in mind, I believe the numbers could be slightly exaugurated around the moon.
cdubs
Posted 9/19/2022 10:50 AM (#1011944 - in reply to #1011898)

I agree Kirby. I do feel like moon phases/windows are important and do at times sway activity, especially during steady weather periods. That being said, I think people tend to fish more and harder during moon periods and on the full and new moons. I do the same. I generally try to fish the morning from first light through the first moon phase if it's close enough, take a break and come back for a moon phase/dusk. My point is that myself and many other guys try to take their breaks outside of the minor/major periods which in turn will make numbers off. This summer for me there were times where the moon was extremely important no matter what time of day, but for the most part my best window was the first 2 hours of daylight regardless if there was a major/minor or not. I always say, whatever will drive a guy to fish longer and harder will help to get to a positive outcome.
chuckski
Posted 9/19/2022 11:08 AM (#1011945 - in reply to #1011898)

I've heard some guides can tell the phase of the moon by the amount of boats on the water. I go on tips when I can go, but all my big fish were caught round the full moon and also when moon was underfoot. I last trip I took to a place where I grown up fishing we went to one of our good spots and the year before I took my largest Wisconsin fish, this trip we started our drift and dad goes remember the last year everything looked the same (the wind was ripping from the same direction) then I looked up and the moon was up (I said nothing) we had no action the year before the moon was under foot and I caught my fish on the very first cast.
RJ_692
Posted 9/19/2022 11:18 AM (#1011947 - in reply to #1011898)

take a look at the Frank Schneider results. Always interesting as this is a live go on many different lakes at the same time. Shockingly low % caught during major / minor times.

i believe moon stuff can and will have catch rate effects at times, but also feel local influences trump that most of the time

too me it looks like there are plenty of biting fish at all times that the best option is just to fish when you have time, the more of that you do the better you will do
Solitario Lupo
Posted 9/19/2022 11:26 AM (#1011949 - in reply to #1011898)

I’ve really not fished at night for them but I’ve noticed some days are better when I see a full moon. Seems interesting to see what others have said.
North of 8
Posted 9/19/2022 12:04 PM (#1011951 - in reply to #1011898)

It would be interesting to know what the barometer was doing during the various moon phases. Unlike moon phases, you cannot predict barometer changes. Many years ago, when I was a young kid, my uncle had a rustic lake cabin in the Harrison Hills. While he had a paper chart of moon phases, had a quality barometer on the wall right by the door. If he saw the barometer start to rise, he was out the door and on the water.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/19/2022 12:38 PM (#1011954 - in reply to #1011951)

North of 8 - 9/19/2022 12:04 PM

It would be interesting to know what the barometer was doing during the various moon phases. Unlike moon phases, you cannot predict barometer changes. Many years ago, when I was a young kid, my uncle had a rustic lake cabin in the Harrison Hills. While he had a paper chart of moon phases, had a quality barometer on the wall right by the door. If he saw the barometer start to rise, he was out the door and on the water.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/mn/hibbing/47.43,-92.95

You can predict the barometric pressure from this chart.
North of 8
Posted 9/19/2022 1:31 PM (#1011959 - in reply to #1011954)

Kirby Budrow - 9/19/2022 12:38 PM

North of 8 - 9/19/2022 12:04 PM

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/mn/hibbing/47.43,-92.95

You can predict the barometric pressure from this chart.

Yes, you can get an indication of what it will do. I was thinking in terms of how folks will plan outings, trips, etc. months in advance based on moon phases. Also, those barometric predictions are as accurate as weather forecasts.
Angling Oracle
Posted 9/19/2022 3:22 PM (#1011966 - in reply to #1011898)

I'm not sure what to make of it. What is the fishing effort related to catch? I think would need multivariate analysis to tease out the effects of weather: barometric pressure, water temp, cloud cover, temp rise/fall, wind and wind direction and so on to be able to hint at some moon effect.

In my science based view, the only significance moon phase could have is potential correlations with mayfly or chironomid hatches, zooplankton, mysis shrimp or freshwater mussel spawinng activity, or potentially spawning activity of emerald or spottail shiners - all of which would "turn on" the water column. Some of these are annual occurrences that may or may not be associated with the moon in some way, but more likely a combination of temperature and daylight cues.

The success of folks that believe in moon phase is a combination of increased confidence, fishing prime locations, and fishing for a bite, which is always a recipe for success and really is what makes one an effective musky angler to begin with.

Edited by Angling Oracle 9/19/2022 3:25 PM
chuckski
Posted 9/19/2022 3:58 PM (#1011968 - in reply to #1011898)

I've heard from guides or pro's or whoever say they never caught a Muskie 54" or over if it was not by the full or new moon.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/19/2022 6:19 PM (#1011973 - in reply to #1011898)

I have seen significant action around the majors, especially when the moon is coming up as the sun goes down. Also a significant # of fish with the moon underfoot and the sun directly overhead. I planned an entire season around the full moon and new moon, making sure I hit both mid-week so I would be fishing a few days before and after. I spent 53 days on the water that year with folded up moon charts in my pocket, making sure I hit as many good spots right around the majors and minors as possible. Worst season I ever had. I was pretty new to muskies back then, though, so maybe that had something to do with it.
7.62xJay
Posted 9/19/2022 6:21 PM (#1011974 - in reply to #1011898)

Does no one here keep that specific of a log? All theorized and "proven" factors considered?
OH Muskyman
Posted 9/19/2022 7:40 PM (#1011976 - in reply to #1011898)

I kept a pretty good log last year and this year to date. The two biggest factors I’ve seen are moon under foot is often been the best time for me. Other is pre front and overcast days. Pre front and cloudy days really was not surprising. I had never really gave the moon under foot much value, my opinion of that has now changed. I have not seen a predictable pattern in my log as to the moon phases. IDK
RLSea
Posted 9/19/2022 9:29 PM (#1011980 - in reply to #1011976)

OH Muskyman - 9/19/2022 7:40 PM

I kept a pretty good log last year and this year to date. The two biggest factors I’ve seen are moon under foot is often been the best time for me. Other is pre front and overcast days. Pre front and cloudy days really was not surprising. I had never really gave the moon under foot much value, my opinion of that has now changed. I have not seen a predictable pattern in my log as to the moon phases. IDK

My records agree with this. My biggest fish show no moon preference. Weather, of course, and when I like to fish is when "it" happens.
BNelson
Posted 9/20/2022 7:08 AM (#1011982 - in reply to #1011898)

Weather by far the most important factor. By far I personally don't care too much about the phase but Im on a good spot and not dilly dallying for majors/minors.
BNelson
Posted 9/20/2022 7:53 AM (#1011983 - in reply to #1011898)

Weather by far the most important factor. By far I personally don't care too much about the phase but Im on a good spot and not dilly dallying for majors/minors.
horsehunter
Posted 9/20/2022 9:17 AM (#1011985 - in reply to #1011983)

I kept a log from around 1987 to 1995 or 6 but quit after discovering all my fish came from wet places on days ending in "Y".
My moon records were based on the old Infisherman 3 days before and after the New, Full moon and the day of the First and Last Quarter all other days being considered days of no lunar influence . No regard was given to major or minor periods because i had to fish whenever I could and not by a table. Of 359 fish 43% were caught on days ( probably evenings ) of no lunar influence . There was a definite increase on the day of the New and Full moon with more fish per rod hour on the New and bigger fish on the Full.
In 40 years I can count on my fingers the number of these stinky slimy bags of teeth and bones I've caught before 11 AM for the period of the log with the exception of a few Muskies Canada outings the fish were caught on my home lakes and the river between them. Getting up at 4 AM every day to go to work meant I wasn't getting up early for a fish. Fortunately finishing work at 1Pm meant I could fish the last 2 hours of daylight 5 days a week. To my way of thinking this period trumps all. Even after retiring I concentrated on afternoons and evenings because if I went out early I was too tired to fish muskie time. I avoided the Full Moon because even after 40 years I'm not good enough to deal with the competition or the Lunitics at the ramp
jasonvkop
Posted 9/20/2022 10:30 AM (#1011987 - in reply to #1011976)

OH Muskyman - 9/19/2022 8:40 PM

What were your fishing hours when the moon was underfoot compared to fishing hours when the moon was at a different position?
sworrall
Posted 9/20/2022 10:42 AM (#1011990 - in reply to #1011898)

Back a very long time ago Jimmy Cairnes and I kept separate logs for a few years with barograph readings factored in while we each were teaching fishing-related classes at regional colleges. We saw moderate activity associated with the Knight's solunar tables which were evident, but the most interesting factor seemed to be 'ripples' in the barometer both up and down that lasted minutes to a half hour or so. Slight but noticeable wind direction changes in direction and velocity when the up or down spike occurs along the trend line.
horsehunter
Posted 9/20/2022 11:38 AM (#1011993 - in reply to #1011898)

I couldn't find the edit button but when I said I avoided the full moon that would only apply to the last 10 years when I started out it would be unusual to have more than 3 boats on the lake fishing muskie on a week night . A couple of years back I went to the launch on the Wed. evening of Sept full moon and there were 22 trailers in the park I turned back home. I'm not into taking a number to fish a weed bed.
OH Muskyman
Posted 9/20/2022 12:06 PM (#1011994 - in reply to #1011987)

I will need to do a little calculating, but just gave last years log a quick look over. Looks like about 25% increase for fish seen, lost and caught while moon under foot compared to when it was not. Many days also that was the only time of day I had any activity. With that said log also shows it is not always the best. But overall moon under foot has proven to be a productive time of day for me and the one thing I have learned from my log records so far.

Side note tomorrow is a big pre front for my area and I plan on fishing daylight till dark, hopefully it pays off. Just going to be hot, guess I’ll just hope for the best the heat doesn’t negate the pre front pressure. Moon under foot isn’t till well after dark so I will not be fishing it after all day on the water.

Edited by OH Muskyman 9/20/2022 12:17 PM
horsehunter
Posted 9/20/2022 12:26 PM (#1011995 - in reply to #1011898)

So do people usually mean directly under foot? I always just considered it below the horizon. I always considered moon visible in the sky in the daytime bad medicine unless of course i caught a fish.

Edited by horsehunter 9/20/2022 12:32 PM
OH Muskyman
Posted 9/20/2022 12:43 PM (#1011996 - in reply to #1011898)

Yes moon under foot is when it’s 180 deg from over head.
BNelson
Posted 9/20/2022 12:57 PM (#1011997 - in reply to #1011898)

I've mentioned this book a few times but read "Moon up Moon down" by John Alden Knight. Also of note, I chat with Dick Pearson some here and there, he doesn't hold much stock in the actual phase, ie, new/full etc.. I also believe that. but will plan trips around when I think I'll be doing most of my fishing during the day or night. You can go on a trip on a full moon week and get your butt kicked just as easily as any other week.
horsehunter
Posted 9/20/2022 1:25 PM (#1012000 - in reply to #1011997)

More than once fishing the dead sea aka Larry for several uneventful hours I'd look at my phone and say well the good fishing will be over in 10 minutes but as the sun started to go down we would mark the fish that had been lying belly in the mud in 30 feet plus rise to the upper 10 feet and would often catch one, we called it magic time. Reasons ( excuses ) can always be found for our success or failure. He who spends the most time has the most success. Fish hard whenever you can because the day when you no longer can will sneak up on you. Many of my big fish came from unexpected places at unexpected times.
If you want a real challenge take up unicorn hunting. I haven't got one yet not even one on the game cams.

Edited by horsehunter 9/20/2022 1:29 PM
bturg
Posted 9/20/2022 4:53 PM (#1012001 - in reply to #1011898)

Random thoughts: For me I prefer a new moon over a full moon. Moon underfoot is usually good for some action on a quiet day. Moon up I flat out hate. Give me a sunset with the moon rising an hour later and generally you will light them up big time. As noted in some comments above weather trumps all...the sun and moon go up and down every day and certainly have influence but the right weather doesn't happen every day and is way more significant. Line up everything(moon, weather, location, presentation) and things can really go nuts. I think our stocked MN fish are way more reactive than say Shield fish to what the moon is doing BUT there is certainly an influence up there as well. The moon matters but you still have to be on them to catch them...it just can make it easier. Big fish seem to respond (attitude shift) the most to favorable moon and weather influences. They certainly don't quit eating with the lack of a positive moon or weather influence but seem to ratchet up quite a bit more in comparison to the little tykes when it comes to that stimulation...the little guys are eager MOST of the time.

Edited by bturg 9/20/2022 4:56 PM
colinj8899
Posted 9/21/2022 7:04 AM (#1012013 - in reply to #1011898)

Good information. For me, I'm on my 8th year of doing this Muskie stuff with a few military deployments in these 8 years I've actually only been in the sport for 4 or 5 years. Once a year almost every year I get one of them days on the water that are just magical. I don't get out near as much as I'd like and for a guy who only gets out 1 to 3 times a month every month from April to November I feel like I do alright for myself.

I had one day in late August this year on a Northern Minnesota lake where I was a day or two out from New Moon and the fish went absolutely nuts for a 4 hour period. Every spot, multiple fish, caught two that day, saw more fish and should of caught more then I like to admit. Missed a big girl who I believe I got the following day in the exact same spot, at the exact same time on the exact same bait. This day lined up with a new moon phase, a major phase, and had thunder and a storm moving in off in the distance quite a ways. A recipe for an awesome time on the water.

Have had only a few outings in my career where I have had days like this. Where fish are just coming off of every spot. I keep records of not only caught fish but days I am moving fish at a high rate compared to a normal day on the water. Those magical days always for me anyways always happen on a moon event such as full or new (not necessarily the day of, but before, during or after a couple days) and if you can throw in weather on this days it is a pretty awesome experience. And on top of these days I have been out several times as well during those moon events and some decent weather and nothing is moving and the fish don't seem to be there.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)