Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Funny how that works isn't it?

Message Subject: Funny how that works isn't it?
esoxaddict
Posted 9/16/2022 4:32 PM (#1011856)
Subject: Funny how that works isn't it?

Thinking about some of the other fish I've caught while muskie fishing....

19" Smallmoiuth
41" Pike
Numerous LMB
Dozens of pike
24" Walleye
25# Carp

In every case my reaction was the same - "aw crap, it's a _______!"

Had I been targeting those species at the time I would have been excited. But no, I'm muskie fishing. #*^@ Smallmouth! I admit, other species aren't much fun on a muskie setup, but what gives?
chuckski
Posted 9/16/2022 4:57 PM (#1011857 - in reply to #1011856)
Subject: Re: Funny how that works isn't it?

Will I got 18"1/2 Smallmouth here in Colorado and won a Master angler lots of Pike including muskie sized ones, but for the most part Pike, Small and Large Mouth Bass, and even a few Walleyes.
North of 8
Posted 9/16/2022 5:00 PM (#1011858 - in reply to #1011856)

Good example of this happened years ago at our cabin. My son had a friend up, both about 16. The friend had never caught any fish other than some small blue gills. They went out and fished for musky. As luck would have it, the friend breifly hooked a nice musky and had another follow a top water right to the boat where he got a good look at it. The came in for dinner and then went right back out and fished until after dark. When they were coming in, saw their lights and went down to help them dock.
I asked how they did and the friend kind of grimaced and said he had another musky hit, but he missed the hook set. My son said, "but you got that nice walleye!". Sure enough, he held up a nice 20" walleye. I congratulated him but he kind of shrugged. I fileted it for him and told him it would make some good eating. He still was unhappy about not catching one of those muskies. Again, never caught anything bigger than a bluegill before. Just seeing a couple musky was enough to turn him off other fish.
sworrall
Posted 9/16/2022 5:20 PM (#1011859 - in reply to #1011856)

I started out as a jig fisherman for bass, caught a muskie on Bone when I was a kid and got messed up. Good thing though, I never got over the fun of catching pike, walleye, bass, and pannies, and probably never will.
horsehunter
Posted 9/16/2022 6:13 PM (#1011860 - in reply to #1011856)

#*^@ good thing smallmouth don't go 35 pounds
sworrall
Posted 9/16/2022 6:15 PM (#1011861 - in reply to #1011860)

horsehunter - 9/16/2022 6:13 PM

#*^@ good thing smallmouth don't go 35 pounds

Or bluegills. If those got to 30# no one would care much about muskies.
North of 8
Posted 9/16/2022 6:43 PM (#1011862 - in reply to #1011859)

sworrall - 9/16/2022 5:20 PM

I started out as a jig fisherman for bass, caught a muskie on Bone when I was a kid and got messed up. Good thing though, I never got over the fun of catching pike, walleye, bass, and pannies, and probably never will.

Yep, told my kids that if I ever get to the point where I don't get excited about watching a slip bobber with a minnow go down with a crappie on the end of the line, quickly start evaluating assisted living places for me, 'cuz I have reached the end of the line.
EsoxWanderer
Posted 9/16/2022 6:47 PM (#1011863 - in reply to #1011856)

Id get excited about a 41” pike even if musky fishing
chuckski
Posted 9/16/2022 6:56 PM (#1011865 - in reply to #1011856)

We would come back to the cabin for a long lunch to let my 80 year + dad rest and take a nap I be out on the dock with one of my ultralights and jig and twister tail catching perch and then dad would come out and lets go and I would keep fishing and the resort owner would laugh as I would just keep catching perch.
7.62xJay
Posted 9/16/2022 11:17 PM (#1011875 - in reply to #1011856)

Yup. Clueless hobby of relaxation, turned trying to advance in hobby, turned irratation and frustration of hobby,turned addiction, than 1st +40" inch pike lost at boat side turned it all around into a personal vendetta and obsession. Same water 2 years later I was border line tears when I hooked and landed my first musky.
We get irritated cuz theres a level of pain and anguish and financial investment i think we think we put in (individually dependent), and the wrong species is like opening a present to find a box of coal as a reward.
Separate of that statement, I caught my first ever walleye this year. I've never angled walleye ever. But for Father's day this year dad and I hit a spot neither of us have been to. He chased walleye and smallies, I chased muskies. 1st accidental catch walleye and first walleye ever gave dad and mom a fresh father's day dinner, so that was cool. Same day landed my personal best Pike at 37.5. Both fish on the same lure.
But yes, you get hammered by the wrong species and your hopes skyrocket and plummet in a few seconds, that blows.
At night though, I don't care, it's exciting regardless, especially on topwater.
Posted 9/17/2022 7:56 AM (#1011879 - in reply to #1011856)
Subject: RE: Funny how that works isn't it?

Catfish fishing for musky. Had about a 3lber on a 10in Jake hooks in the mouth.caught others too.biggest crappie I ever seen caught was on a 6 in phantom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)