Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish engulfing Baits

Message Subject: Fish engulfing Baits
chuckski
Posted 8/25/2022 6:32 PM (#1011071 - in reply to #1010896)
Subject: Re: Fish engulfing Baits

I pinch down my barbs on my Trout lures and in some cases make them singles to boot. (Mepp's 1& 2's) As far as Muskie lure go I've thought about lot's of times, but I recall a study from lots of years ago and the gist of the report was barbless hook's penetrate deeper and kill more fish. (at least that's what the study said) I've never fished in Manitoba I believe it's single hook barbless. There's a saying on lures "nobody mises a third eye" As we know most our lures have three hooks and in the case of a 10" Jake that's good. 8" Hellhound 2 hooks, 5" Cobb's Crazy Shad 2 hooks, Alma Bama 2 hook's and Ernie two hook's. I've caught all my large fish on Depth Raiders but if Joe put 2 hooks instead of three I'd be happy (like Dick Gries's Jointed Phantom Diver) And I know the new one's that Russ Smith makes have three. Except for big 10" or larger baits three hook's are good on smaller lures two is better. (one less hook to wind up in a fishes eye)
gregk9
Posted 8/25/2022 8:29 PM (#1011076 - in reply to #1011068)

Smell_Esox - 8/25/2022 3:35 PM

I think the conclusion was that barbless didn't reduce fish mortality. Maybe it is different with muskie sized hooks, I don't know. Would be an interesting study.

That's weird. The barbless hooks means easier to take out, means less time working on the fish therefore it gets back into the water faster. I don't see how that cannot be better for the fish unless multiple impalements trumps time being handled?
BillM
Posted 8/26/2022 3:17 PM (#1011100 - in reply to #1011068)

Smell_Esox - 8/25/2022 4:35 PM

I'm not sure how this applies to muskies, but I remember reading some research years ago on using barbless hooks on other fish (can't recall the species but maybe trout) and, while the fish was easier and quicker to release, oftentimes the fish had multiple hook impalements as the hook would come out and rehook the fish multiple times. I think the conclusion was that barbless didn't reduce fish mortality. Maybe it is different with muskie sized hooks, I don't know. Would be an interesting study.

How is the hook going anywhere if you've got pressure on it? Physics would like a word with the guy that made that statement lol. I fish a lot of really big pike on a lake that's single hook barbless. Less time in the net, less damage from hook removal, similar sized hooks (actually bigger in a lot of cases) to what most muskie guys toss.
pstrombe
Posted 8/28/2022 10:37 AM (#1011153 - in reply to #1010896)

Super Shad Raps on Green Bay. I also agree with Wegner I believe GB fish are more 'fragile' than the other strains.
Smell_Esox
Posted 8/29/2022 9:02 AM (#1011173 - in reply to #1011100)

BillM - 8/26/2022 3:17 PM

Smell_Esox - 8/25/2022 4:35 PM

I'm not sure how this applies to muskies, but I remember reading some research years ago on using barbless hooks on other fish (can't recall the species but maybe trout) and, while the fish was easier and quicker to release, oftentimes the fish had multiple hook impalements as the hook would come out and rehook the fish multiple times. I think the conclusion was that barbless didn't reduce fish mortality. Maybe it is different with muskie sized hooks, I don't know. Would be an interesting study.

How is the hook going anywhere if you've got pressure on it? Physics would like a word with the guy that made that statement lol. I fish a lot of really big pike on a lake that's single hook barbless. Less time in the net, less damage from hook removal, similar sized hooks (actually bigger in a lot of cases) to what most muskie guys toss.
I think you'd be surprised, even with constant pressure how leverage changes during a violent fight, headshakes, twisting, jumps, etc. But, yeah, don't know and don't know how you'd ever monitor things happening.
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/29/2022 9:35 PM (#1011186 - in reply to #1010896)

Manitoba has been 100 % barbless for a long time. You don't lose many fish. True barbless hooks penetrate far better and as explained with constant pressure unlikely to lose fish. Exception is ice fishing and using lures that may hit the ice on the way up such as jigging rap type lures and the odd time lipless cranks (when walleye fishing). Far easier to release fish such as pike and they rarely get off and likely no moreso than with barbs.

That said, pike do fight much differently than musky, they tend to sound and attempt to reach cover and actually tend to grip a lure tightly, so less likely to shake a hook, whereas muskies thrash, headshake and jump which will throw more lures in both barbless and barbed categories.

However, if you are concerned about solo handling and deep hooksets, then barbless and/or fewer and smaller trebles the way to go for your safety and for fish. Barbless are easy to remove, far less handling and hook cutting less likely required given that backing the hook out not going to cause more damage and quick and easy to do.

Edited by Angling Oracle 8/29/2022 9:37 PM
EllusiveGoose
Posted 8/31/2022 10:11 PM (#1011264 - in reply to #1010896)

I’ve had a few deep hooked with tubes, they usually hit the head or t bone them and it’s not an issue. But I’ve had two inhale them from behind, the whole 10” tube gone and the back hook went in deep. One I was able to cut the hooks safely by going under the gill plate. I tried the same thing on a small fish and it thrashed and it’s gills were bleeding really bad, pretty sure that one didn’t make it.
gregk9
Posted 9/2/2022 9:46 PM (#1011320 - in reply to #1011264)

EllusiveGoose - 8/31/2022 10:11 PM

I’ve had a few deep hooked with tubes, they usually hit the head or t bone them and it’s not an issue. But I’ve had two inhale them from behind, the whole 10” tube gone and the back hook went in deep.

The back hook being a treble?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)