Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lake Vermillion Trip Advice.

Message Subject: Lake Vermillion Trip Advice.
Weiseyyy
Posted 8/14/2022 5:12 PM (#1010753)
Subject: Lake Vermillion Trip Advice.

Hello!

I have a trip planned at Spring Bay Resort on Vermillion for September 14th-24th which I've learned is a popular destination for a lot of guys. As someone that rarely fishes big water ever, what can I expect and where should I try on Vermillion for muskies? Any info at all is helpful.

Thanks a bunch.
Ogandrews
Posted 8/14/2022 7:00 PM (#1010754 - in reply to #1010753)
Subject: Re: Lake Vermillion Trip Advice.

Talk to Steve at spring bay before or when you get there, he knows what he’s doing. It really depends on how far along the fall has progressed by that time but usually there will still be a good shallow sand or weed bite in late September. Vermilion is traditionally known for big baits but don’t count out smaller stuff. Slower fished blades and topwaters should still be good if the fish are shallow
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/15/2022 12:19 PM (#1010772 - in reply to #1010754)

I highly suggest hiring a guide. So many people go to vermilion with high hopes and come home with their tale tucked between their legs. It's a really tough lake and without some prior knowledge, you'll likely have a hard time. Prepare to fish really hard.

The above stated, Steve from spring bay, may still guide or he can hook you up with the right ones.
Jeremy
Posted 8/15/2022 12:54 PM (#1010773 - in reply to #1010772)

Kirby Budrow - 8/15/2022 12:19 PM

I highly suggest hiring a guide. So many people go to vermilion with high hopes and come home with their tale tucked between their legs. It's a really tough lake and without some prior knowledge, you'll likely have a hard time. Prepare to fish really hard.

The above stated, Steve from spring bay, may still guide or he can hook you up with the right ones.

This.....times 10!
muskymartin67
Posted 8/15/2022 1:26 PM (#1010775 - in reply to #1010753)

There is a lot of hazards, rock reefs come out of 30-40' in no time, most are marked with bouyes, but if you don't know the spots exact the rock bars can extend away from the bouyes quite away, use a lot of caution approaching and leaving hazard areas, I have seen a guy go thru a rock area at full throttle and just cringed, either he knew exactly where to go or was darn lucky as the gap between two giant boulders was maybe 12' and it was marked on each end but not in the middle, another time I saw a guy go through the boulder field by the bridge near Gruben's and he was moving slow, maybe 5-6 mph, but never stopped just kept hearing clink clunk, bang every time he hit a rock that area is marked on the outside with about 5- or 6 bouyes, and it's between 2 small islands, but he cut right through the middle obviously may have been drinking or just unfamiliar with the hazards there IDK, sometimes I just wonder about people, anyways if your out on a windless day, if you get close enough to look there's lots of lower unit parts you can see on bottom near many of the rocks and reefs, it's probably worse in the East side, but there's still enough to be aware of on the West end of the lake.

Edited by muskymartin67 8/15/2022 2:15 PM
Handy1
Posted 8/15/2022 5:47 PM (#1010784 - in reply to #1010753)

I was there the last week of July for my 2nd time on the lake. Last year, my first time there I did hire a guide to help show me spots where to fish for Muskies. Last year it seemed like there we Muskie fishermen on all the spots. I did see a few Muskies, and they all seemed very spooked on follows. I did not get any hits or lands last year for Muskies, did catch a 42" Gator.

This year was completely different for me. I fished 4 days for Muskies (2 days for Walleye), had many follows, stuck four and landed two Muskies, 45' and 48". I do fish alone which can be little challenging netting Muskies. I do fish on the east side of lake and really like the Frazier Bay area. Burning bucktails were very good for me this year, though I caught the 48" Musky on bucktail follow, left her alone till the window(about 2 hours later) and on the first cast with the Flap 9 she struck.

Best of Luck!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(943397E3-A0C3-41C2-AEF3-8CDC3BD80006.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 943397E3-A0C3-41C2-AEF3-8CDC3BD80006.JPG (189KB - 88 downloads)
TheShow
Posted 8/16/2022 8:38 AM (#1010800 - in reply to #1010784)

We go up there (East Side) the 3rd week of July. Been going the last 3 years and rebooked already for next year. Its a bit over whelming but with the help from members here (and Steve) we've had enjoyable trips. I also started with a guide our very first time there. For us its a family trip with the wife and 2 boys so it's not an exclusive musky fishing trip. I'm not fishing all day, every day.

With that, we've caught everything up there. So no matter the specie, you should be able to find action. Big notherns will mix in during your musky efforts.

I also agree with knowledge on the hazards. Have a good Lakemaster chip. And the buoys are in proximity of the hazard - don't crowd the markers under power.

The community musky spots hold fish regularly and will eventually give up a biter. Once you get comfortable, try finding the "not so popular" spots. Use your map, fish behavior, and pattern to replicate it on other spots. Plan for follows that won't eat.

ToddC
Posted 8/16/2022 10:50 AM (#1010809 - in reply to #1010772)

Kirby Budrow - 8/15/2022 12:19 PM

I agree with Kirby. I’ve made three trips, 24 total days there the past two summers. Three of us booked Matt Seifert for a day to learn the lake and pick his brain. I felt very fortunate to catch fish on each trip but I really had to work hard for them. We stayed at Spring Bay as well and fished the west side.

We fished rock early morning or when clouds or wind moved in. Sunny calmer weather we went to weeds. Main structure is marked and obvious but don’t be afraid to venture out and fish small isolated reefs. We had action on several of them and made them part of our daily milk runs. Blades, rubber and top water all moved fish.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
chuckski
Posted 8/16/2022 10:58 AM (#1010810 - in reply to #1010753)

I fished there 3 times in October from 2016-18 caught some small Pike good sized Smallmouth while Muskie fishing and went out Walleye fishing and caught dinner. First fished on the East end with my nephew and the last two times in the middle and west sides by myself or with a guide. Fished hard and fished all kinds of great looking spots and got my butt kicked. Great time butt never fished so hard in so many great looking spots for nothing. Fished all kinds of great looking weed beds, deep and shallow reefs, fished around pods of baitfish, bounced my lures off shoreline rocks where the wind was blowing in. Trolled from point A to point B , neckdowns you name it. Stopped at Thorne Brothers on the way up got the hot lures. I got home and looked for "panfish first" web sight.
mikie
Posted 8/17/2022 9:13 AM (#1010858 - in reply to #1010753)

There is a time in the Fall when they pull the buoys from the lake, I have heard. Hope you get there before then or you may have some problems. m
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/17/2022 9:34 AM (#1010859 - in reply to #1010858)

mikie - 8/17/2022 9:13 AM

There is a time in the Fall when they pull the buoys from the lake, I have heard. Hope you get there before then or you may have some problems. m

Late october. Not a problem if you have a decent chip.
chuckski
Posted 8/17/2022 3:28 PM (#1010877 - in reply to #1010753)

Luminated at night too.
tarpon6
Posted 8/19/2022 3:55 PM (#1010921 - in reply to #1010877)

I'm going to Vermilion in 2 weeks (for 13 days!) for the 6th year in a row. I do not spend a tremendous amount of time fishing muskies and I'm no expert, but do try when I'm near known or good looking spots. I've caught a few small fish but finally got a 47" last year. 3 years ago I had a heart stopper in Frazier bay with a fish that was 55+. Got a short lazy follow, went back an hour later with a different color bucktail and it shot out at it from the side and missed, third cast follow all the way to the boat. Got nervous and totally blew the figure 8- too fast and tight with the bucktail. It wanted it too ugghhh!

Wind blown rocks are good. I've seen fish caught and caught my biggest there. The fish are highly pressured and see alot of the same stuff.

If you have a chip and are careful you won't have any problems with the rocks. I'm form Florida and rent a boat and have never had an issue. I do lift the motor up when fishing shallow rocks- just leave it in the water enough to keep the backend straight.

Have fun it's a great multispecies lake. FYI don't worry I didn't hang or weigh the fish with the boga. Always supported it with my other hand. I can't bring a net from Florida..

Edited by tarpon6 8/19/2022 3:58 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(muskie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments muskie.jpg (176KB - 78 downloads)
kap
Posted 8/22/2022 7:28 PM (#1010995 - in reply to #1010753)

lake vermillion is big as a whole lake but its broken up by lots of smaller bays.Fish each bay like its a small lake.
East has some weed areas that hold fish. There are lots of islands that hold fish as well. Look for shallow rock areas that top of
at 2 feet. all of theese are marked with bouys. Put your time in an you will contact fish. Shorelines can hold fish and dont get hit as hard as prime spots but that being said they will be B or C spots.Spring bay wants you to catch fish so you come back,
they will be helpful.
Ciscokid82
Posted 8/22/2022 8:26 PM (#1010998 - in reply to #1010753)

This is a bit off topic but do the locals still put nets out for whitefish in the fall? I haven’t been up there in about 7 years but it seemed like there were less of them the last few times I went compared to when I first started. Anyone local on hear have any idea on how the Cisco/whitefish populations are currently? Up/down/same?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/23/2022 8:21 AM (#1011007 - in reply to #1010998)

Ciscokid82 - 8/22/2022 8:26 PM

This is a bit off topic but do the locals still put nets out for whitefish in the fall? I haven’t been up there in about 7 years but it seemed like there were less of them the last few times I went compared to when I first started. Anyone local on hear have any idea on how the Cisco/whitefish populations are currently? Up/down/same?

Yes, some people still throw nets out. Seems like less though.

I'd say the population of ciscos and whitefish have been steady.
Weiseyyy
Posted 9/25/2022 10:23 AM (#1012145 - in reply to #1010753)

Just figured I'd post about how my week went since I got back yesterday afternoon.

First off, it was one of the coolest, if not the coolest lake I've ever fished. So many islands! However, the bite was slow, for everyone fishing muskie that is. Walleye guys did well by the sounds of it, but there were only three muskie caught the whole week, which I was told was below average. My dad and I put in somewhere between 40-50 hours over our five days and all we had to show for it was a 33.5" pike that he caught, and I had one follow on our last morning of the trip. Other than that, nothing but casting. We fished a ton of water though for only having a week up there.

What made it really difficult was the water temp changes while we were there. The night we got up there we had been told that the water had dropped four degrees the day before, then by mid week it had dropped another two to three degrees. The fish didn't have any time to settle, which made it harder for everyone, let alone my amateur self. We had also been told so many vastly different things too, which might be normal for Vermillion, but it confused us like crazy. At first the bite was near rocks in 30 ft of water where the fish would come up from 25 ft to 8 ft to look at lures. Then, the day after, we were told that there were in no deeper than 2 ft of water tight against wind blown rocks following in jerkbaits. Then, after that, we were told that guys were finding them in about ten feet near weedlines down Wakemup Narrows. Definitely put me at a loss, but I kept taking the tips I could get and fished spots I thought made sense. The only action we had came from Richie's Bay by the way.

But yeah, that is pretty much it. Fun time nonetheless with my dad who was way out of his element casting that much, but he did pretty well xD. Learned a ton as well and want to get out even more now! Keep grindin.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/26/2022 7:59 AM (#1012168 - in reply to #1012145)

Weiseyyy - 9/25/2022 10:23 AM

Just figured I'd post about how my week went since I got back yesterday afternoon.

First off, it was one of the coolest, if not the coolest lake I've ever fished. So many islands! However, the bite was slow, for everyone fishing muskie that is. Walleye guys did well by the sounds of it, but there were only three muskie caught the whole week, which I was told was below average. My dad and I put in somewhere between 40-50 hours over our five days and all we had to show for it was a 33.5" pike that he caught, and I had one follow on our last morning of the trip. Other than that, nothing but casting. We fished a ton of water though for only having a week up there.

What made it really difficult was the water temp changes while we were there. The night we got up there we had been told that the water had dropped four degrees the day before, then by mid week it had dropped another two to three degrees. The fish didn't have any time to settle, which made it harder for everyone, let alone my amateur self. We had also been told so many vastly different things too, which might be normal for Vermillion, but it confused us like crazy. At first the bite was near rocks in 30 ft of water where the fish would come up from 25 ft to 8 ft to look at lures. Then, the day after, we were told that there were in no deeper than 2 ft of water tight against wind blown rocks following in jerkbaits. Then, after that, we were told that guys were finding them in about ten feet near weedlines down Wakemup Narrows. Definitely put me at a loss, but I kept taking the tips I could get and fished spots I thought made sense. The only action we had came from Richie's Bay by the way.

But yeah, that is pretty much it. Fun time nonetheless with my dad who was way out of his element casting that much, but he did pretty well xD. Learned a ton as well and want to get out even more now! Keep grindin.

This is how most people's week turns out, especially when it's their first time. The progression you described is right for the weather we had. Typical for this time of year with the cool down.
chuckski
Posted 9/26/2022 10:05 AM (#1012171 - in reply to #1010753)

Like my falls on Vermillion 2016,17, and 18. Still had a good time, Pike, Walleye, and a Smallmouth saved the day.
chasintails
Posted 9/27/2022 8:50 AM (#1012196 - in reply to #1010753)

Man that lake used to be so much fun. Cut my teeth on some big dumb fish in the early 2000's. Last trip up there was probably 7 or 8 years ago and we got skunked for the week. I've got some real good memories of the Big V. Would love to see her come back to a fraction of what she once was Musky fishing wise, I'd be back in a heart beat. One of the few shield type lakes not across the boarder.
Top H2O
Posted 10/28/2022 7:32 PM (#1014190 - in reply to #1012196)

Went out this morning on the West End and was surprised to see that the buoys were still out...Head o the Lakes and Wakem up bays were 46-47*
Water temps will rise the next 5-6 days and then drop like a rock 2nd week of Nov.
Be Safe out there.
Top H2O
Posted 11/1/2022 9:04 PM (#1014280 - in reply to #1014190)

47-48 on the West End.
NorthCountry24
Posted 11/2/2022 12:42 PM (#1014299 - in reply to #1010753)

Anyone been having any luck this fall? Was up last weekend never saw a fish but missed two early on the first day. Buoys were out on the east side as of 10/29
Kirby Budrow
Posted 11/3/2022 11:57 AM (#1014315 - in reply to #1014299)

I haven't been out on vermilion in a while. I usually choose to skip it when the weather has been this nice. It's usually an extra tough bite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)