Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How to hold a fish

Message Subject: How to hold a fish
K and M tackle
Posted 7/15/2022 7:27 PM (#1008792)
Subject: How to hold a fish

I have spent as much time making sure that I have the right tools and cutters and net and know how to release a fish safely as I have getting my stuff prepared. I have got bruises on my ribs on the bay spending a hour hanging over the side of the boat trying to revive a fish that someone else caught and killed. And that was in 2 foot waves. And unfortunately I see the gross miss care for these fish too much. And now to see it advertised in a catch a release tournament is disgusting to me. It sucks that fish of this size are held wrong and without care. And I would bet that this fish died. It’s really to bad to have happen in general but let alone in a catch and release tournament

Attachments
----------------
Attachments B6D0AAE0-F7EB-4EB5-9821-9ACD5A9191EA.jpeg (259KB - 277 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 7/15/2022 8:56 PM (#1008793 - in reply to #1008792)
Subject: Re: How to hold a fish

I'm betting a lack of knowledge for the promoters and that angler. I see images like that all the time submitted to the muskie pages I manage and would never use one. What one doesn't know one doesn't know. A carefully written educational and reasonable explanation to the organizer may help stop it from happening again.
miket55
Posted 7/15/2022 9:13 PM (#1008796 - in reply to #1008792)

There was a cover of the Indiana Fishing Regulations recently, that featured an angler holding a really nice northern....by the eye sockets.

And there was a post earlier this month by Carolina Outdoor Magazine featuring a 9.8# musky caught and kept, despite the 42" minimum size for possession in North Carolina..

Ignorance is rampant at all levels..

Edited by miket55 7/15/2022 9:14 PM
K and M tackle
Posted 7/15/2022 11:42 PM (#1008800 - in reply to #1008792)

The organizer is the st. Germain chamber and rob manthie. He’s a guide. And a good one. You would thing someone would say something. Let alone not advertise it like that.
chuckski
Posted 7/16/2022 11:08 AM (#1009807 - in reply to #1008792)

I have photo's all over the place so when I catch a smaller fish leave it in the water and unhook it. If I catch a larger fish net it leave it in the net do the Leach Lake lip Lock unhook it quick photo and measurement back she goes no longer then you can hold your breath.
sworrall
Posted 7/16/2022 11:32 AM (#1009808 - in reply to #1008800)

K and M tackle - 7/15/2022 11:42 PM

The organizer is the st. Germain chamber and rob manthie. He’s a guide. And a good one. You would thing someone would say something. Let alone not advertise it like that.

I'm betting the post came from someone at the Chamber and Rob has not seen it. Chamber directors are ofttimes not anglers, and from what I can see from the page, they have a new one this week. Drop them a note, maybe.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/16/2022 1:54 PM (#1009813 - in reply to #1008792)

You can't expect someone who doesn't know any better to know any better... I saw a muskie posted on facebook a while back, nice fish... The discussion that followed was started by some guy who swore up and down that it was a pike because "I've been fishing for years, trust me that's NOT a muskie" The worst part was that everybody agreed with him.
North of 8
Posted 7/16/2022 2:13 PM (#1009815 - in reply to #1009813)

Years back, Musky Hunter magazine published an article where a researcher talked about a study that was conducted on musky and his research on that body of water showed good survival rate for muskie held vertically. That was just the hold, did not address issue of careless handling of gills, etc. He acknowledged that was contrary to what most believe, and did not encourage vertical holds, just reported what his research on that body of water showed.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/16/2022 4:01 PM (#1009816 - in reply to #1009815)

There's probably a lot more danger the heavier the fish gets. That said I've never seen anybody take a fish out of the net horizontally...
Masqui-ninja
Posted 7/16/2022 4:14 PM (#1009818 - in reply to #1008792)

At the very least it's bad composition as it makes most of us cringe to see a vertically held muskie (though 25-30 years ago I did it too). Supporting the fish's weight in more than one place has to be better for it, but I suppose it's debatable on how much difference it really makes. The fact that a business or entity would use a photo like this is just a matter of not knowing (or caring) about best handling practices.

We have resorts posting pictures of guests holding up stringers of 4#-5# smallmouth bass in front of the fish cleaning shack. It's perfectly legal to harvest those fish, but they're turning off many more people than they're impressing. Teaching is best, though it can be tough to bring up in a tactful way.
7.62xJay
Posted 7/16/2022 5:02 PM (#1009821 - in reply to #1008792)

In one of his videos Pete Maina criticized the use of bump boards and don't quote me, but I believe made a statement something like "a few seconds vertical hold for a picture is better than slapping a fish down on a board, and than picking it back up for your picture". Not suggesting his statement is correct or based on any data, but food for thought.
Now I'm gunna draw a question I've always wondered, "why is squeezing the digestive system of a large fish under its own weight, especially when it's bloated with a recent meal with a horizontal hold-considered common acceptable practice?".
Seems like not a safe thing to do for the fish, but everyone does it, curious if there's any data on the matter.
TCESOX
Posted 7/16/2022 9:03 PM (#1009828 - in reply to #1009821)

I've always tried to follow these guidelines. When you use your forearm and hand underneath, I don't think it puts quite the same pressure on the belly. Of course it makes it harder to hold the fish way out in front of you.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(proper handeling.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments proper handeling.jpg (144KB - 72 downloads)
7.62xJay
Posted 7/16/2022 11:08 PM (#1009829 - in reply to #1009828)

TCESOX - 7/16/2022 9:03 PM
Of course it makes it harder to hold the fish way out in front of you.

A practice I personally despise and regularly call out.
cabbage
Posted 7/17/2022 8:07 AM (#1009832 - in reply to #1008792)

Muskies are fun to pursue and catch and that's all good. Very few of the muskies we catch need to be held or lifted out of the net. For years (myself included) this has been the norm where we feel the need to pull every one out of the net, get precise measurements and make sure our catch is documented with us holding them at the perfect angle to then seek justification and praise from our peers. I believe a special or unique catch (this is different for everyone) can justify an attempted C.P.R. process. We have to acknowledge though that anytime we take it upon ourselves to "hold" a muskie and separate them from their natural environment adds risks to their health and survival exponentially by the second. For a multitude of reasons. Fishing for and catching muskies is great but we as muskie fisherman should re-consider whether yanking every fish up by the jaw as it thrashes for our analyzation and documentation is creating a better or worse muskie fishing future for ourselves and others. It's a hard thing to do when for years and to this day all the medias related to muskie fishing still show nearly every fish being put through the traditional and risky C.P.R. (catch, photo, release) process. Even in the Mukies Inc. magazine above.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/18/2022 2:02 PM (#1009877 - in reply to #1009821)

7.62xJay - 7/16/2022 5:02 PM

In one of his videos Pete Maina criticized the use of bump boards and don't quote me, but I believe made a statement something like "a few seconds vertical hold for a picture is better than slapping a fish down on a board, and than picking it back up for your picture". Not suggesting his statement is correct or based on any data, but food for thought.
Now I'm gunna draw a question I've always wondered, "why is squeezing the digestive system of a large fish under its own weight, especially when it's bloated with a recent meal with a horizontal hold-considered common acceptable practice?".
Seems like not a safe thing to do for the fish, but everyone does it, curious if there's any data on the matter.

I agree because a fish is only used to living in a weightless environment. Any pressure from any hold may be uncomfortable at the very least. Still, putting pressure on the belly has to be better than a vertical hold. I try to promote having the fish out of water for less than 20 seconds. More time under pressure or stress, the worse it gets. And we know catch and release works, so it can't be that bad.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 7/19/2022 10:17 AM (#1009906 - in reply to #1008792)

I am kinda new to this as I haven’t caught very many. I’m starting to see I am not going to hold the little ones anymore. I did the sticking my fingers behind the gill plates and took some pics and thought I was really gill wrenching the fish. Which another thing I don’t like. Holding by gill plates. As that said and I am still learning what fingers do you slide in under the gill plate so I’m not hurting them when holding.
TCESOX
Posted 7/19/2022 6:08 PM (#1009933 - in reply to #1009906)

Solitario Lupo - 7/19/2022 10:17 AM

I am kinda new to this as I haven’t caught very many. I’m starting to see I am not going to hold the little ones anymore. I did the sticking my fingers behind the gill plates and took some pics and thought I was really gill wrenching the fish. Which another thing I don’t like. Holding by gill plates. As that said and I am still learning what fingers do you slide in under the gill plate so I’m not hurting them when holding.

Right hand-right side of the fish. Left hand-left side of the fish. Fingers inside the gill plate with index finger leading the way. Thumb outside, under the jaw.
miket55
Posted 7/19/2022 10:25 PM (#1009945 - in reply to #1009933)

TCESOX - 7/19/2022 7:08 PM

Solitario Lupo - 7/19/2022 10:17 AM

Right hand-right side of the fish. Left hand-left side of the fish. Fingers inside the gill plate with index finger leading the way. Thumb outside, under the jaw.

What TC said, and for what it's worth, once I have a fish in that grip, I get a hold of it with the other hand, forward of the anal fin to avoid the vertical lift thing..

Edited by miket55 7/19/2022 10:26 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)