Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ranger Reata VS 1782 Aluminum / 115 Mercury Pro XS

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ranger Reata VS 1782 Aluminum / 115 Mercury Pro XS
Grass
Posted 3/2/2022 12:43 PM (#1003104)
Subject: Ranger Reata VS 1782 Aluminum / 115 Mercury Pro XS

Hello,
Been doing a little boat shopping this winter and I was just looking for some feedback / Likes / dislikes anything to be aware of on a new
Ranger Reata VS 1782 SC Aluminum / 115 Mercury Pro XS

Seems like a great layout and boat motor combo.
My current boat is a 2002 Crestliner 1750 FishHawk which I love and this Ranger aluminum seems like a very similar setup.

Thanks,
Grass
madmurph
Posted 3/3/2022 4:48 PM (#1003138 - in reply to #1003104)
Subject: Re: Ranger Reata VS 1782 Aluminum / 115 Mercury Pro XS

I looked at one several times a few years ago prior to going the bass boat route. (And got blasted by many for doing so. "Why the hell would you want a bass boat?")

If you have not got to see one in person yet, you will be very impressed. It is a large boat and I think it would fish much, much 'bigger" than it's size. The 17' 8" length and 96" beam seems very big on this boat. I loved the fold down rear deck option. The front deck was extremely large as well. Storage was excellent for an aluminum boat this size.

Although adequate, I am not sure of performance with the 115 on a boat rated for a 150.

There has been some complaints from long time Ranger owners with quality and customer service since White River Marine Group (Bass Pro Shops) has purchased the company. Check into some of these complaints. Bass Boat Central is a good place to read some of these. For the record, I purchased a Ranger in 2018 (owned by WRMG at that time already) and have had no problems with any quality/fit finish issues. I have not had to deal with their customer service at all other than ordering Ranger clothing with an expired gift card and they honored my expired card.

Also FYI, Ranger is no longer making their own trailers and have outsourced to EZ Loader. Mine is still a Ranger Trail. I'm not aware of any issues with the EZ Loader.
kjgmh
Posted 3/4/2022 8:51 AM (#1003156 - in reply to #1003104)

I have a 2019 VS 1882 SC with a Yamaha VF175.

Fit and finish is not great. Wrinkles in carpet, compartments not fitting perfect, small issues with paint... But it is not horrible.

Not easy to run wiring through the boat. Way more time than normal to run transducer cables, network cables, new charger cables... Just not well thought out.

Handles rough water good, but as with most aluminum boats, it can be wet,

Fishes good. Front and rear decks are of good size and at a good height.

Rod storage only takes up to maybe 8' rods, have not found many aluminum boats that are better than that. Would be nice to be able to lock them up.

Wish there was a roller trailer option, I use lots of shallow landings. I had to upgrade my winch to something much bigger to help load the boat at these landings.

None of the storage compartments are dry. I have to use totes or dry bags for things I need to stay dry.
twofishy4u
Posted 4/21/2022 9:09 PM (#1004710 - in reply to #1003104)

I looked at these too. Ended up with a Lund. There were a ton of quality issues from Rangers aluminum line. I've heard it is made in the same plant as tracker. Seeing a few in person I wasn't impressed. Pretty hard to beat the aluminum boats coming out of Minnesota. I ended up with an impact 1875. I went with the best layout of the 3 boats we had in mind, If you like your crestliner I'd look at them closely too. They just didn't have the storage I wanted. I like the idea of welded and the white with black was my favorite color but layout and functionality won.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)