Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: All fishermen are born honest.... but they get over it
- (Added by: muskyhunter9909)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Bucktail makers…

Message Subject: Bucktail makers…
Cabbage Patch
Posted 2/14/2022 12:56 PM (#1002452)
Subject: Bucktail makers…

I’ve been making bucktails for a while, however have a couple of questions to bounce off some folks. First question, lead bodies versus deeds? I’ve used heavy lead bodies 3/4 to half an ounce, I’ve seen the trend towards more heavier egg seekers and back plus deeds from the blades to the tail. Thoughts?

Second question, recent trends are different blade combinations. Then experimenting with number six chopper blades with other combo of blade. Any other combinations work for people or have interesting vibrations?
RJ_692
Posted 2/15/2022 8:28 AM (#1002477 - in reply to #1002452)
Subject: Re: Bucktail makers…

everything (combinations of stuff) has different vibrations. so build what you like and chuck it around some. stuff that was wrong before is right now and will be wrong again.

my only ever absolute is to make sure the blades spin immediately regardless of combinations (and no combinations)
jdsplasher
Posted 2/15/2022 10:29 PM (#1002528 - in reply to #1002452)
Subject: RE: Bucktail makers…

Cabbage Patch - 2/14/2022 12:56 PM I’ve been making bucktails for a while, however have a couple of questions to bounce off some folks. First question, lead bodies versus deeds? I’ve used heavy lead bodies 3/4 to half an ounce, I’ve seen the trend towards more heavier egg seekers and back plus deeds from the blades to the tail. Thoughts? Second question, recent trends are different blade combinations. Then experimenting with number six chopper blades with other combo of blade. Any other combinations work for people or have interesting vibrations?

Bucktails R built for the terrain your fishing. And how you want to work them.

The trend with barrel weights in back is for guys that want to slow roll their bucktails, or burn them at a deeper level. I would rather run A heavy spinnerbait, 3, 5,6, or 8 ounce, than a heavy large buck tail . Way more grind and Thump.

Beads or lure bodies won’t make too much difference except for weight involved. I kinda like the bead look. If casting, Balancing your baits to slightly be back heavy makes more sense. Unless maybe your trolling them.

I’d prefer a keel weight over barrel weights.

The blade combos is a trial and error thing. Test different combos till you like one, or copy some that R out there. I personally don’t do too much double blade buck tail or staggered blades.

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 2/15/2022 10:38 PM
ToddM
Posted 2/16/2022 8:13 AM (#1002541 - in reply to #1002452)

As far as blade combos go all will work. It does seem though to have decent vibration one needs to be a Colorado or a mag Colorado. An Indiana/french or french/willow you cannot feel.

I personally like a.bucktail to.ride.even. I smash the egg sinker in a vise to pancake it. Doesn't always work well with flashabou though. Lead lure bodies in front are good. I have lately been using hematite beads. Iron, heavy and you can get them in big sizes. They have a great eye catching look to them.
K and M tackle
Posted 5/7/2022 1:18 PM (#1006182 - in reply to #1002452)

Option are endless with bucktails. From the density of the hair to flashabou and bouncy to which blade will ride at what depth in the water column. When it goes from beads and body’s. I personally like beads. Solid or hollow metal or plastic can work. The reason for my use of them is the refraction of light off of mor angles versus a body. Also it alllows mor vibration through the wire of the bait as it has separation. When it comes to a keel weight. You can use angled or egg. If using a egg nose your wire up where you will be hooking your leader to eliminate any body roll. It don’t take much of a bend. Adjust the weight based on hair or flash. Hair has a natural bouncy to it. Flash will sink. Also depending on blade style and size will play a role in what part of the water column you are in. As far as blade combinations. If they spin they all work. Hve to try them and let the fish tell you what they like.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)