Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A few things I've learned...

Message Subject: A few things I've learned...
curdmudgeon
Posted 1/30/2022 5:02 PM (#1001933 - in reply to #1001657)
Subject: Re: A few things I've learned...

never to post near the tail end of a thread lest only I see the post.

Edited by curdmudgeon 1/30/2022 5:04 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/3/2022 9:35 AM (#1002017 - in reply to #1001657)
Subject: RE: A few things I've learned...

esoxaddict - 1/21/2022 12:02 PM

Reflecting as little as I head into my 19th season chasing muskies...

1. There are no secret lakes.

2. There are no secret spots.

3. There are no "magic lures".

4. When muskies are active, there is little you can do to stop them

5. When muskies are not active, there is little you can do to start them

Going on 27th for me

6. Muskies are an enigma, they will do what you don't want them too.

7. Time on the water, its a good teacher.

8. The two most critical pieces of structure are the surface and the bottom, muskies can be found somewhere in that zone at any time of the day or night. You just have to be there to catch them.

PS. Its nice to see some of you on this thread. dickP as always, thank you! The search is it... Ranger, we've had some great adventures. Who needs socks?

I'm afraid our current generation of new fisherman are in the instant gratification category.

Have fun!
Al

esoxaddict
Posted 2/3/2022 12:30 PM (#1002023 - in reply to #1001657)

9. Muskies are not "the fish of 10,000 casts". Muskies are the fish of one cast, in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. The other 9,999 casts are just practice. Your job is to narrow it down to the most likely place and time, and make that cast.

10. Anybody that tells you muskies are solitary creatures is mistaken. If there's a fish in there, it's there for a reason. If it's there for a good enough reason there will be more.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/3/2022 1:06 PM (#1002026 - in reply to #1001838)

jerryb - 1/27/2022 6:48 AM

I 100% agree with just about everything on esoxaddict's list except for #2, "No secret spots". There are not a lot of fishermen who fish deep structure.

That’s probably because some of us understand delayed mortality enough not to troll 50 ft deep for them. Yes I am also a spoonplugger, but catching a fish is not worth killing every one of them.
sworrall
Posted 2/3/2022 9:34 PM (#1002040 - in reply to #1002023)

esoxaddict - 2/3/2022 12:30 PM

9. Muskies are not "the fish of 10,000 casts". Muskies are the fish of one cast, in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. The other 9,999 casts are just practice. Your job is to narrow it down to the most likely place and time, and make that cast.

10. Anybody that tells you muskies are solitary creatures is mistaken. If there's a fish in there, it's there for a reason. If it's there for a good enough reason there will be more.

I think what's lost is it isn't and never really has been about the muskies. It's about the anglers. It's about us.

The muskies? They don't give a #*#*. They're fish.
7.62xJay
Posted 2/4/2022 1:32 AM (#1002045 - in reply to #1002017)
Subject: RE: A few things I've learned...

ESOX Maniac - 2/3/2022 9:35 AM

I'm afraid our current generation of new fisherman are in the instant gratification category.

Have fun!
Al

Isn't that what's great about any pursuit of nature? It's only partially feasible to say "You get out what you put in"?. Sure there's levels of luck and skill that come into play but it's those surprises that keep us sportsman coming back, even if we did throw our hat in the water and scream in French. We know that if you just keep grinding at your goal you will likely find success. If instant gratification is what's desired, than quiting or seeking personal improvement will follow after you fail. But I totally get where your coming from, all my fishing buddies are panfish/largemouth guys hahaha.
Ranger
Posted 2/5/2022 11:46 AM (#1002082 - in reply to #1001657)

Addict - "PS. Its nice to see some of you on this thread. dickP as always, thank you! The search is it... Ranger, we've had some great adventures. Who needs socks?"

Al, it was always a treat to hang out with you. I never saw anyone wear unlaced, damp, canvas tennis shoes in an aluminum boat in high wind and mid-30*s for 6 hours. No socks. Hope to never forget your fat 44" in Buck Lake on your fav custom painted Little Ernie or your amazing camp cooking (chicken noodle soup!) at the Mine Ponds. That fish was picture perfect, the result of confidence and an accurate cast into the whitecaps next to the only pier in the water on the south end of the lake. The tricky motor work to keep the boat in position for the epic fight. 20 years ago and I can still remember every moment.

Edited by Ranger 2/5/2022 11:59 AM
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2022 4:32 PM (#1002091 - in reply to #1002082)

Ranger - 2/5/2022 11:46 AM

Addict - "PS. Its nice to see some of you on this thread. dickP as always, thank you! The search is it... Ranger, we've had some great adventures. Who needs socks?"

Al, it was always a treat to hang out with you. I never saw anyone wear unlaced, damp, canvas tennis shoes in an aluminum boat in high wind and mid-30*s for 6 hours. No socks. Hope to never forget your fat 44" in Buck Lake on your fav custom painted Little Ernie or your amazing camp cooking (chicken noodle soup!) at the Mine Ponds. That fish was picture perfect, the result of confidence and an accurate cast into the whitecaps next to the only pier in the water on the south end of the lake. The tricky motor work to keep the boat in position for the epic fight. 20 years ago and I can still remember every moment.

And that is what this sport is really all about.
ToddM
Posted 2/6/2022 9:00 AM (#1002101 - in reply to #1001657)

I remember a character who used to frequent this site who was from Tennecheese and I took him to a lake I fished near the only one he did in northern cheeseland, .42 degree morning and he's in shorts and sandals took him 2 minutes to catch a fish.

Edited by ToddM 2/6/2022 9:02 AM
Ciscokid82
Posted 2/18/2022 7:16 AM (#1002623 - in reply to #1001657)

Ignorance is bliss.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)