Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wake Boats and Habitat

Message Subject: Wake Boats and Habitat
kdawg
Posted 1/21/2022 9:47 AM (#1001646 - in reply to #1001567)
Subject: Re: Wake Boats and Habitat

Ranger - 1/19/2022 11:06 PM

Here, I'll help it go.....

Jesus and I, well, we're both liberals who loath conservative republicans.

That oughta do it.[/ I feel the same about liberal democrats, but, after a lively debate/discussion, I can still go out and share my boat and a beer with one. Kdawg
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/21/2022 10:05 AM (#1001648 - in reply to #1000406)

Maybe all the fisherman on the water these days driving tanks all over for a toothy fish have created an artificial demand for gas???

I've been thinking of getting a wakeboat. Speed trolling in that big wake would definitely be something the fish haven't seen.
RobertK
Posted 1/21/2022 10:39 AM (#1001650 - in reply to #1000406)

My wife loves pleasure boating. When I talked to her about this thread, she said she'd probably really like that wake surfing stuff. I know she would, too!

Today she came in from taking our dog through the trails behind our house. She was angry that someone had taken an ATV through the trails and spoiled the animal tracks and the trails she had blazed through the winter landscape in the woods. I smiled and said, "It's sort of like folks with their wake boats, really." She could only laugh and agree.

If only everyone would take a moment to imagine themselves in other people's boots, maybe we'd all be a little more courteous.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/21/2022 1:29 PM (#1001663 - in reply to #1001648)

ARmuskyaddict - 1/21/2022 10:05 AM Maybe all the fisherman on the water these days driving tanks all over for a toothy fish have created an artificial demand for gas??? I've been thinking of getting a wakeboat. Speed trolling in that big wake would definitely be something the fish haven't seen.

Don’t Bet on this !

North of 8
Posted 1/21/2022 1:31 PM (#1001664 - in reply to #1001648)

ARmuskyaddict - 1/21/2022 10:05 AM

Maybe all the fisherman on the water these days driving tanks all over for a toothy fish have created an artificial demand for gas???

I've been thinking of getting a wakeboat. Speed trolling in that big wake would definitely be something the fish haven't seen.

As I read about them, I don't think they go all that fast, not like a ski boat.
jchiggins
Posted 2/3/2022 2:12 PM (#1002029 - in reply to #1000406)

https://kstp.com/uncategorized/study-wakesurf-boats-need-extra-dista...
North of 8
Posted 2/3/2022 2:51 PM (#1002030 - in reply to #1002029)

jchiggins - 2/3/2022 2:12 PM

https://kstp.com/uncategorized/study-wakesurf-boats-need-extra-dista...

Reading that study, I had this image of fishing a mid-lake rock pile and having wake boats going in opposite directions on each side of you. To me that is the difference between wind generated waves and those generated by multiple boats. Washing machine effect that Steve described is more accurate. Wind can't come at you from three directions at once.
North of 8
Posted 1/11/2024 9:55 AM (#1025682 - in reply to #1000406)

While WI continues to discuss how and if to regulate wake boats, Vermont has introduced some of the toughest regulations in the country. Among other things, they must stay 500 feet from shoreline, operate in no less than 20 ft deep water and can only be used on one lake unless cleaned at a state authorized cleaning station in between lakes.
Really don't see that happening in WI but it is interesting. In Northern WI it is a hot topic but there does not seem to be a consensus on what direction to go. Some lake property owners are adamant that change is needed but the marine industry and wake boaters are also adamant that existing regs are enough. The boats are big sellers and they are very profitable for dealers.
Slamr
Posted 1/12/2024 8:40 AM (#1025689 - in reply to #1000438)

sworrall - 1/15/2022 10:14 PM

IAJustin - 1/14/2022 1:11 PM

My first thought is if the lake is big enough that someone wants to wakeboard on it, it probably has 3' waves when the wind blows hard too? I'd be fine if all lakes 1000 acres or less were no wake - ha!

Nope. There are wakeboard boats and 600 hp pontoons on 500 acre lakes here. It's so bad some days you can't stand up in the boat. Minocqua is absolutely ridiculous.

Steve Worrall on a local lake with wakeboards, water skiers and jetskies.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments worrall.webp (68KB - 59 downloads)
K and M tackle
Posted 1/12/2024 7:07 PM (#1025696 - in reply to #1000406)

When talking about the wake boats and compare it to a big fishing boat the wake part is what it is. I have a large fishing boat. I get on plane in 30’. I don’t put out a 3’ roller for 7 hours. And the main topic should be shoreline erosion. Displacement of weeds. Filling in spawning areas. And even the hitting and destroying of cribs. Not to mention throwing fisherman and boaters out of the boats. Beating boats against docks and shoreline. Most of the lakes especially here in northern wi never see a natural 2’ wave. Let alone sustained 3-4’ waves. It changes the ecosystem of the lake. And disrupts everything. And not like these boats get up and go. They run a 3’-4’ wave non stop for hours in a circle while someone stands on a board behind the boat. Fun. Could stand in the yard and get sprayed with a hose and do the same thing without destroying a body of water. It’s all greed by those who collect the registration money and don’t care about the natural resources we have. It’s disgusting to watch and think about. And when you contact the dnr about it they say they have a 10 year plan in place. Well anyone that lives or spends time on a lake in this area that pays attention will see the difference in spawning areas. The depletion of fish. And the depletion of weeds since most the sand and loose debris cloud up and choke out the living weeds. It sucks that it comes to a discussion and no one cares enough to do what is right and try to save at least one aspect of our waters and fishing
North of 8
Posted 1/12/2024 9:28 PM (#1025697 - in reply to #1025696)

The DNR is not the rule maker. That is the state legislature. Under Walker and the Republican legislature in WI, the DNR lost almost all rule making authority. Don't contact the DNR, contact your local assembly Rep. and state senator. I fish from time to time with a DNR Warden. He gets calls all the time about wake boats. Not a thing he can do about it.
I have contacted the Assembly Representative for Rhinelander about this issue and his responses was blah, blah, blah. Money talks and the wake boat owners and the folks who sell them put money into politicians. A fully tricked out 21' foot Ranger is just entry level money for a wake boat.
chuckski
Posted 1/13/2024 8:53 AM (#1025698 - in reply to #1000406)

I grew up in Southern California six miles from the ocean and one city over from Huntington Beach also known as Surf City.
In 1975 when I was in 8th grade I did a speech in front of the class on Surfing, so I checked out a book on surfing I the library and in the last chapter was about surfing behind a boat. So at the end of my speech "some people surf behind a boat" Everybody laughed "who the hell would do that" None of us had ever herd of that.
OH Musky
Posted 1/13/2024 7:07 PM (#1025707 - in reply to #1025698)

chuckski - 1/13/2024 9:53 AM

I grew up in Southern California six miles from the ocean and one city over from Huntington Beach also known as Surf City.
In 1975 when I was in 8th grade I did a speech in front of the class on Surfing, so I checked out a book on surfing I the library and in the last chapter was about surfing behind a boat. So at the end of my speech "some people surf behind a boat" Everybody laughed "who the hell would do that" None of us had ever herd of that.

So, you’re the one to blame for wake board boats on our lakes? ;-).
chuckski
Posted 1/14/2024 12:30 AM (#1025709 - in reply to #1000406)

I know your kidding, Don't shoot the messenger. I have to say for a few years after that report it was a running joke my friends and I would go to a lake and they would joke "good thing the lake is not over run with people surfing behind the boat" We never saw a single boat Wake Surfing. But always the Water Skiers, then came the Jet Ski's and bigger and more boats and yes almost 50 years later Wake boarders.
North of 8
Posted 5/1/2024 3:39 PM (#1028159 - in reply to #1000406)

In today's online version of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the paper's out door writer did a piece on the results of the Spring Conservation Hearings and a couple of other surveys done on whether folks wish to see restrictions placed on "wake boats". At the Spring hearings, with over 10,000 participants the vote for restricting was 71%. Other surveys, involving thousands each had similar results. While acknowledging that the legislature has dodged the issue for two years, he felt they would have no choice but to address it in the next session, 2025.
I am skeptical, simply because the folks who can afford these boats are the ones state legislators depend on for campaign funding. That even came up at one of the town board meetings where a local ordinance was being discussed. A number of towns have passed ordinances in the last year, but since neither county or state officials can enforce them, no one is enforcing them. Township where I live has a part time constable but he is limited to things like barking dogs, loose dogs, etc.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)