Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wake Boats and Habitat

Message Subject: Wake Boats and Habitat
bomber34
Posted 1/19/2022 3:49 AM (#1001524 - in reply to #1000406)
Subject: Re: Wake Boats and Habitat

I am so glad to see everyone else's experience with other boaters and the frustration expressed with other rude boaters behaviors. I was starting to think I might have anger issues and was perhaps to sensitive to others encroaching on my space. Thank you for the validation.
(My thoughts exactly)
chasintails
Posted 1/19/2022 9:26 AM (#1001530 - in reply to #1000406)

You guys should see Lake Geneva on the summer weekends, close second Fox Chain. The level of crazy is purely off the charts.
North of 8
Posted 1/19/2022 11:26 AM (#1001534 - in reply to #1001521)

7.62xJay - 1/18/2022 9:42 PM

Detracting from subject required:
Wake boats are just a symptom of the disease man, which is 0 natural resource education to the public,lack of funding to enforcement, lazy and uneducated enforcement.
Assume you successfully regulate wake boats okay? Your still left with every other "traditional" recreationer eroding shoreline(fisherman not exempt) albeit at slower rate, homeowners illegaly developing shoreline, homeowners and builders not using proper erosion control methods.
Idk how to solve this problem, but the very people that we're talking about; I work for. Most are kind,wealthy, and 50% are self centered. They keep alot of us in the Northwoods employed, I'm not advocating that they should be jailed into their rightful vacation property. Buuuuuuuut....
There's a saying we have at work "You can't be smart if your stupid". I think it applies for these folks. They simply don't know anybetter. They can certainly afford a tax hike on their lakeshore property. Use that funding to issue all current and future developing lakeshore owners annnnd builders a "legal brochure". Something that simplifies and provides colored picture examples of current and now future legislation. Than when enforcement comes there's no exceptions for the "Oh I didnt know" statement.

Ranger-I hope you reported that garbage. Yall ever see crap like that, u can file an anymouse tip at 1-800-847-9367 to the WI DNR.

I can only speak from my experience with the lake association I belong to, but every year in their written communication and at the annual meetings there is a heavy emphasis on maintaining natural plants in the riparian zone. How it benefits everything from water quality to wildlife. However, when our now congressman, Tom Tiffany was in the state senate, he took great pride in successfully wresting shoreline zoning away from towns and counties and vesting it solely with the state. That same legislation also weakened rules put in place to protect the riparian zones. The fellow that did our landscaping after we built a house where we had a seasonal cabin just shook his head. He has a degree in horticulture but grew up in the Northwoods and feels that we had been headed in the right direction with protecting lakes/shorelines but that pretty much went out the window.
Ranger
Posted 1/19/2022 12:24 PM (#1001536 - in reply to #1000406)

"Ranger-I hope you reported that garbage. Yall ever see crap like that, u can file an anymouse tip at 1-800-847-9367 to the WI DNR."

This was in MI. Law enforcement knew all about it. The county sheriff was water patrol and to their credit they began using two officers and stopped/prepped their boat just out of sight of the landing. One cop jumped in the boat and the other quickly dropped the boat into the water and did a fast circle around the lake to identify likely violators, picked up the other cop at the landing and then went looking for the people who were driving the boats they had spotted. Every time the cops hit the water a number of pleasure boats lit for home as fast as they could. It was not unusual for the cops to go to a family's dock and demand to talk to the person they previously saw behind the wheel. The cops loved arresting Chicago folks for DUIs, particularly when the drivers were pulling kids on skis or tubes.

on a different note - Chicago folks were famous for dumping their weekend garbage on local roadsides every Sunday evening as they were headed home. I used to go thru the garbage, identify the violators, take the trash to that family's summer home and throw it all against their front doors. Repeat violators, well, I took the garbage and proof to the cops and the cops followed up with the families. Within 2-3 years the word was out, if you throw your garbage out on your way home you will get caught and you'll pay for it. It stopped.
dhebeda
Posted 1/19/2022 3:53 PM (#1001543 - in reply to #1000406)

Yes, it's only the "Chicago Folks." What a load.
TCESOX
Posted 1/19/2022 5:07 PM (#1001546 - in reply to #1000406)

A warm, windless day on Minnetonka is like being in a washing machine.
kdawg
Posted 1/19/2022 6:10 PM (#1001549 - in reply to #1001546)

I'm hearing gas prices soon could go over 4 bucks a gallon, and perhaps 5 when the height of the tourist season hits the lakes. Inflation is also predicted to keep rising. Maybe, just maybe, putting gas in those boats at over 100 dollars a pop will keep some of them off the water. I already know this year, I'll be stuck do more fishing off of my dock. I miss those $1.85 a gallon fill ups back in 2020. kdawg
Resume
Posted 1/19/2022 6:25 PM (#1001550 - in reply to #1001530)

chasintails - 1/19/2022 9:26 AM

You guys should see Lake Geneva on the summer weekends, close second Fox Chain. The level of crazy is purely off the charts.

It was nuts the last time I fished it . . . nearly thirty years ago. I can't imagine it now.
North of 8
Posted 1/19/2022 6:30 PM (#1001551 - in reply to #1001549)

kdawg - 1/19/2022 6:10 PM

I'm hearing gas prices soon could go over 4 bucks a gallon, and perhaps 5 when the height of the tourist season hits the lakes. Inflation is also predicted to keep rising. Maybe, just maybe, putting gas in those boats at over 100 dollars a pop will keep some of them off the water. I already know this year, I'll be stuck do more fishing off of my dock. I miss those $1.85 a gallon fill ups back in 2020. kdawg

Well, need to remember the cheap gas was the result of the economy being in lock down, and unemployment approaching 9%. Personally, I don't want to see that again. Also, higher energy prices and inflation are a problem for the developed world, not just America. Europe is being hit even harder. I think by mid-year the energy markets will stabilize. Wells that were shut down because of lack of demand will be producing, etc. The other thing is if you can afford a half million-dollar lake home and a wake boat that costs $150,000, $4 dollar gas is not going to stop you from using it. Back in the George W. administration, gas went over $4/gallon and the only change I saw on our chain was that people were stealing gas out of boats sitting at peoples' docks. Next door neighbor had them take the whole tank, hose line and all.
Ranger
Posted 1/19/2022 7:26 PM (#1001554 - in reply to #1001543)

dhebeda - 1/19/2022 4:53 PM

Yes, it's only the "Chicago Folks." What a load.

It sure was where I lived. There was a common name(s) we called them: "FIPS" or "FIBS". "Freaking Illinois Preeks" or "Freaking Illinois Bastardos". Not exactly the true translation but you can figure it out. Those people were hated from the Michigan/Indiana line to Marquette on Lake Superior. Arrogant, pushy, wasteful, loud, inconsiderate jerks.

I bet this post gets vaporized.
sworrall
Posted 1/19/2022 8:18 PM (#1001555 - in reply to #1000406)

Let's keep the state-to-state insults to a minimum. I spent a fairly large portion of my life in Wauconda IL. I have been called all of the things Ranger mentioned. Then I became a registered Wisconsinite and can call folks from every border state something.

I'll choose not to.
kdawg
Posted 1/19/2022 8:30 PM (#1001556 - in reply to #1001551)

North of 8, please explain how the unemployment rate effects the gas prices? The gas prices were low because the country was energy independent, the pipelines were all operational, and in fact, we were actually exporting oil to other countries. And, we were at a high unemployment rate because of lockdowns in certain states that drove it, California, New York, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey. Funny that all these states have one thing in common. Kdawg
North of 8
Posted 1/19/2022 8:35 PM (#1001557 - in reply to #1001556)

kdawg - 1/19/2022 8:30 PM

North of 8, please explain how the unemployment rate effects the gas prices? The gas prices were low because the country was energy independent, the pipelines were all operational, and in fact, we were actually exporting oil to other countries. And, we were at a high unemployment rate because of lockdowns in certain states that drove it, California, New York, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey. Funny that all these states have one thing in common. Kdawg

Why don't you take a look at gas prices in 2019, before the pandemic.

Edited by North of 8 1/19/2022 8:51 PM
Ranger
Posted 1/19/2022 9:00 PM (#1001559 - in reply to #1001555)

sworrall - 1/19/2022 9:18 PM

Let's keep the state-to-state insults to a minimum. I spent a fairly large portion of my life in Wauconda IL. I have been called all of the things Ranger mentioned. Then I became a registered Wisconsinite and can call folks from every border state something.

I'll choose not to.

Ok, I'll abide, Steve.

(Wauconda sucks.)

; )
kdawg
Posted 1/19/2022 9:03 PM (#1001560 - in reply to #1001559)

Ok. The average price per gallon during 2019 was $2.60 a gallon, about a dollar cheaper than now. North of 8, ur point sir? kdawg
miket55
Posted 1/19/2022 9:18 PM (#1001561 - in reply to #1000406)

https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/RBF22/interactive-chart

Add to the price, Federal State, and local taxes, plus about 15 cents per gallon for transportation and a bit for the guy selling the stuff to get an idea of retail price..

A frequent "contributor" to the site made this statement (paraphrased) awhile back..

"FIB is an attitude, not a declaration of origin."

That said, I've been seeing a lot of "FIB" attitude from Southern WI folks over the last several trips.

Edited by miket55 1/19/2022 9:29 PM
Ranger
Posted 1/19/2022 9:21 PM (#1001562 - in reply to #1001556)

kdawg - 1/19/2022 9:30 PM

Our country hasn't been "energy independent" for over 100 years. We are totally "interdependent" with all other advanced countries, most of which have been cranking along for way, way longer than our country has been a country. Arrogant and foolish to believe otherwise but there we go, that's the USA. So, wave that flag, I guess. Find a neighbor to blame for your problems and send money to the folks who got you all riled up.
RLSea
Posted 1/19/2022 9:41 PM (#1001563 - in reply to #1001556)

It's what drives all price fluctuations: supply and demand. Yes the supply was up, but demand was way down as well. The number of vehicles on normally crowded Chicago expressways during the pandemic on a weekday was less than it is now at 3:00 am on a weekend - unbelievably light traffic. This went on for months. People stayed home.
Ranger
Posted 1/19/2022 10:50 PM (#1001566 - in reply to #1001563)

This thread sure turned south. Like basement south.
Ranger
Posted 1/19/2022 11:06 PM (#1001567 - in reply to #1001566)

Here, I'll help it go.....

Jesus and I, well, we're both liberals who loath conservative republicans.

That oughta do it.
ToddM
Posted 1/20/2022 4:50 AM (#1001572 - in reply to #1001563)

RLSea - 1/19/2022 9:41 PM

It's what drives all price fluctuations: supply and demand. Yes the supply was up, but demand was way down as well. The number of vehicles on normally crowded Chicago expressways during the pandemic on a weekday was less than it is now at 3:00 am on a weekend - unbelievably light traffic. This went on for months. People stayed home.

The supply and demand argument only works when it benefits your side of the debate. I thought gas prices rose because of refinery fires in texas. That was always the case 15 years ago.
raftman
Posted 1/20/2022 5:33 AM (#1001573 - in reply to #1001546)

TCESOX - 1/19/2022 5:07 PM

I think my time out there is why I don’t do much more than shrug my shoulders at this topic. Accept it, be angry while you fish or don’t fish.
TCESOX
Posted 1/20/2022 7:50 AM (#1001577 - in reply to #1001573)

raftman - 1/20/2022 5:33 AM

TCESOX - 1/19/2022 5:07 PM

I think my time out there is why I don’t do much more than shrug my shoulders at this topic. Accept it, be angry while you fish or don’t fish.

I just prefer to fish bad weather. Chases recreational boaters right off the lake. I'd rather curse the rain, than other people.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/20/2022 10:25 AM (#1001585 - in reply to #1000406)

There's a reason for stereotypes and it isn't ignorance. When I bought my property up North my realtor asked where I was from, and when he found out he said "What are you doing way up here??" I laughed and said "Well, I used to spend a lot of time in Southern WI, but that's just an extension of IL. Then I fished in Madison for several years, and well.. you know - Madison. Slowly I realized that people from IL have managed to ruin everything North of highway 10, so I went to Minocqua, and that STILL wasn't far enough, so I figured I go North some more. Then I discovered the "yoopers" and figured it was time to turn around."
chasintails
Posted 1/20/2022 10:41 AM (#1001587 - in reply to #1000406)

So what I gather is people from Illinois are bad, wake boats are bad, and people from Illinois with Wake boats are really really bad. OK
Is it okay to go to Canada or do they not like people from Illinois either?
sworrall
Posted 1/20/2022 10:53 AM (#1001588 - in reply to #1001587)

chasintails - 1/20/2022 10:41 AM

So what I gather is people from Illinois are bad, wake boats are bad, and people from Illinois with Wake boats are really really bad. OK
[/QUOTE

People from IL are not bad. I'm from IL. People with wake boats who have zero courtesy toward other folks on the water from anywhere, in my world, are. The wakeboard boat dealers will argue.
ToddM
Posted 1/20/2022 11:20 AM (#1001591 - in reply to #1001587)

I am.a.proud FIB and my money is good everywhere.
North of 8
Posted 1/20/2022 11:29 AM (#1001592 - in reply to #1001587)

The chain where I live, roughly half the properties are owned by folks that either live in Illinois or formerly lived in Illinois. I don't see any difference in their behavior from the Wis. natives. Many are great, some are jerks. Some pay a lot of property tax and use the property very little.
dhebeda
Posted 1/20/2022 3:26 PM (#1001606 - in reply to #1000406)

It seems that since Covid hit everybody and their brother bought a boat. Maybe when things return to normal (if ever) boat traffic will decline and the wake boaters and high HP pontooners will go back to whatever it was they used to do, but I doubt it.

Ranger I never thought I would run into somebody on this board that I wouldn’t fish with but I think I found one. GLTY.

sworrall
Posted 1/20/2022 4:52 PM (#1001616 - in reply to #1001559)

Ranger - 1/19/2022 9:00 PM

sworrall - 1/19/2022 9:18 PM

I'll choose not to.

Ok, I'll abide, Steve.

(Wauconda sucks.)

; )

Bangs Lake ain't what it used to be.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)