Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Baits, Big Money

Message Subject: New Baits, Big Money
North of 8
Posted 1/14/2022 2:42 PM (#1000414 - in reply to #1000409)
Subject: Re: New Baits, Big Money

esoxaddict - 1/14/2022 1:34 PM

They are calling it "the great resignation"...

A lot of boomers were riding out their last few years when the pandemic hit. It was only a matter of time for those folks anyway. But many of older gen x'ers went the same route. The pandemic made them realize just how much of life they had given up for their jobs, which in hindsight weren't all that great to begin with. Still others like N08 was referring to realized that the jobs they had before the pandemic pretty much sucked, and the pay did too.

A supper club in our area, owned by our state assemblyman has been advertising for a head/lead cook for at least 5 months. The add states you must be willing to work all holidays and weekends. Can't understand why folks are not standing in line to apply. The local technical college, five miles from the supper club, has a well-regarded culinary arts program. Another supper club, on the other side of Rhinelander has managed to keep their staff including many older wait staff by in part closing on Sunday. They have given up that day but kept staff and are very busy the other six days of the week. Same thing when they opened a Hobby Lobby in the area. Because they close on Sunday, tons of applicants while the WalMart across the street struggled to find staff. Wonder if that may be the future of retail. Cut back in hours.
chuckski
Posted 1/15/2022 10:50 AM (#1000426 - in reply to #1000249)

I'm a retired boomer (I had to retire early due to a work related head injury) I'm only 61. I just bought a couple 12" DDD for 37 bucks a pop and a 59 dollar Baby Beaver XL. I'm done I just need some hooks and a couple tube harnesses.
A couple years ago I bought a bucktail Twister and I found a bunch bucktail hair in my stuff so now I got to learn how to put bucktail on coils.
Ogandrews
Posted 1/18/2022 7:00 AM (#1001493 - in reply to #1000249)

I do own a couple of those expensive baits, nothing over 100. I only have a handful but the reason I bought them is because I would much rather my money go to a guy or two who is building these things by hand instead of buying baits off of an assembly line. Not that there is anything wrong with with buying a top raider, but I like that when I bought a LL water chopper that it went to someone who helped get me into musky fishing and makes the stuff himself. You also get way better customer service it seems like with these small guys. Perfect example is last year I had a fish on vermilion (would have been pb I’m still mad about) break the spreader bar on a bombsquad big flap tail on the hook set. Talked to the guys at Thorne and they just gave me a new bait and said that bombsquad had pretty much a lifetime warranty on the baits so if anything else happened to it that I’d get it replaced again. Who knows if the baits catch more fish but it makes me a little more confident that most likely the guys around me aren’t throwing the same thing.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)