Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian Border PCR Test Question

Message Subject: Canadian Border PCR Test Question
ToddM
Posted 8/28/2021 9:20 PM (#985466 - in reply to #985407)
Subject: Re: Canadian Border PCR Test Question

Dave T. - 8/26/2021 8:13 AM

ToddM - 8/25/2021 9:57 PM

I crossed at pigeon river this evening. We had our masks on they did not ask us to remove them. They asked for our passports and only them first. They asked some basic questions then wanted our covid test. That's it didn't ask for the vaccination card or ask if we were. Didn't ask where we were staying or ask for the quarantine plan.

oh wow, i didnt even realize there was a crossing at that location!

do you mind if i ask where you are going fishing?? Havent heard of anyone going in that direction to fish skis' before.. :)

Savant lake. No skis but big pike Lakers and walleye. I was a replacement for someone who backed out. Beautiful and the people who owned it as it turns out owned a resort I used to stay at in Boulder Junction. Helen Keller could go out by herself and catch walleye. Just not sure she would make it back to the resort.
Dave T.
Posted 8/30/2021 8:21 AM (#985492 - in reply to #985466)

ToddM - 8/28/2021 9:20 PM

Dave T. - 8/26/2021 8:13 AM

ToddM - 8/25/2021 9:57 PM

I crossed at pigeon river this evening. We had our masks on they did not ask us to remove them. They asked for our passports and only them first. They asked some basic questions then wanted our covid test. That's it didn't ask for the vaccination card or ask if we were. Didn't ask where we were staying or ask for the quarantine plan.

oh wow, i didnt even realize there was a crossing at that location!

do you mind if i ask where you are going fishing?? Havent heard of anyone going in that direction to fish skis' before.. :)

Savant lake. No skis but big pike Lakers and walleye. I was a replacement for someone who backed out. Beautiful and the people who owned it as it turns out owned a resort I used to stay at in Boulder Junction. Helen Keller could go out by herself and catch walleye. Just not sure she would make it back to the resort.

ah thank ya sir. i just was wondering.. big pike are fun to catch too! always looking for new places to try as well.. we are heading to LOTW Sat, so fingers crossed all goes well!
ManitouDan
Posted 8/30/2021 9:02 AM (#985495 - in reply to #984281)

So a nasal swab test is acceptable - Correct ? And I didnt know they were randomly testing people even if you had your negative result within 72 in your possession .. I'm crossing at I Falls , near a 20 hour drive , and NO I dont trust the testing process at all.. I thought a negative result before I headed north kinda guaranteed me not getting turned away at the border because of a covid issue . Had a friend say they passing out blue colored test kits to every other car about 11-12 days ago .
RLSea
Posted 8/30/2021 8:38 PM (#985520 - in reply to #984281)

Hmm. That would have been Aug 18-19. We went through Aug 13 at International Falls with no such issue. We were 6th in line and it took about 5 minutes per vehicle or less.
oconesox
Posted 8/30/2021 9:45 PM (#985524 - in reply to #985495)

ManitouDan,If you have proof of vaccination, negative PCR within 72 hours and passport you’ll get in. The random testing is handed to you and done after crossing. arrangements are made for pick up or drop off of sample. This could lead to a quarantine in Canada with a positive but by that point you’re in, and I don’t believe anyone can prevent you from re-entering the US. Hope that s helps

Andy
ToddM
Posted 9/2/2021 5:45 PM (#988588 - in reply to #984281)

Coming back into the US was the same as before.
dickP
Posted 9/3/2021 8:03 AM (#988591 - in reply to #988588)

Crossed again yesterday.4 rigs in front of me and took 20-25 minutes total.Have your passport,vaccine record,recent test and,to be safe,your ArrivCan permit number ready to hand to the agent and likely done in 5 minutes or less. Wear a mask and a smile.A tad of politeness goes a long way.
ManitouDan
Posted 9/3/2021 9:12 AM (#988594 - in reply to #984281)

A negative nasal swab test is PCR right ? Even google was confusing with no straight answer

Edited by ManitouDan 9/3/2021 9:13 AM
MuskyMidget
Posted 9/3/2021 9:27 AM (#988595 - in reply to #984281)

Manitou - you're best off asking or readying the actual kind of test from the provider you are getting it from. Don't assume anything.
ToddM
Posted 9/3/2021 12:51 PM (#988597 - in reply to #984281)

Once in Canada wear a mask at any place you go into. Everyone is still wearing a mask indoors. We went into a grocery store in Ignace, we had masks on but the cashier asked that we use the hand sanitizer at the entrance before entering. Going into Canada the border agent did not ask us to remove our masks for ID but coming back the US agent did.
Dave T.
Posted 9/3/2021 2:16 PM (#988599 - in reply to #984281)

just a heads up, i just filled out our arriveCan app, and got all the way through it and everything worked as it should, but my wife says, 'my last name isnt spelled correctly!' sure enough, it was not. i figured i entered it incorrectly, but turns out the app takes a picture of your passport and it automatically uploads all the information, and it misspelled my wifes last name! it did it again when i cancelled our first try, and resubmitted. so keep an eye out for that if you do the passport picture, make sure all info is correct!!
eightbduck
Posted 9/6/2021 3:49 PM (#988643 - in reply to #984281)

Two weeks ago I went up through Warroad and drove to Youngs Bay. Had all documentation and no issues....The guard spent more time looking for weeds on my trailer than at my documents. Coming back a week later the group in front of me got turned back at Youngs Bay while on the phone with Canada trying to get permission to come back through....Sounded like they did not fill out the App for the return trip. The rest of us each spent 40 minutes on the phone with Canada getting a "waiver" to cross back to Warroad since we did not have a new test to return. I got a pretty stern lecture that I may not be granted another waiver If I tried to cross back with out a test next time.... The lodge had previously said no problem getting back to Warroad and to just get the waiver....But the warning from the agent has me a little concerned for my October trip back there.... There were some rumors that several lodges up there had test kits on hand but I could not find any place that had them.... Has anyone crossed back from the angle more than one time and not been given the waiver? Also just FYI, CVS did my entry test and had results emailed to me in 20 hours....
Muskyfreak44
Posted 9/6/2021 11:07 PM (#988651 - in reply to #984281)
Subject: RE: Canadian Border PCR Test Question

Went in and came back in International Falls/Ft Francis last week and was the best crossing we had in 30 years. Going in was a 20 min wait but the guard was awesome and had a great conversation with us. He looked at our passports, vaccine cards and COVID test results. Asked us the basic questions and had a good conversation about his overall experience with COVID and the craziness of opening day on the 9th. He welcomed us to Canada and wished us a successful trip…….Olesen was his last name, really a great guy. Coming home, only car at the border…..pulled right up to the booth. Female officer was equally pleasant and asked us the basic questions. Had a few quick jokes with us and welcomed us home. I didn’t catch her name but I wish I had. Overall a great experience…….the buildup, uncertainty and just not knowing what to expect was the most stressful part. The reality was, it was no big deal when you follow the steps. My dad got his PB on top of everything so that was icing on the cake…..a fat, healthy 52” beauty!
Walleyedoctor
Posted 9/13/2021 8:44 PM (#990829 - in reply to #984281)

I crossed the border Wednesday with two grandsons 10 and 8. We all got tested with reserved testing times at Walgreens. Actually two different Walgreens as we were not able to test the same days. Had our results in less then 2 hours. We had all of our information necessary for crossing with minors. 15 minutes with a very polite border agent and we were given test boxes for the boys and told to log onto a website to register the boys then wait for a virtual nurse to walk us through the test on video chat.
Then it got stupid. Could not complete the registration because they ask for a government issued photo ID. We had birth certificates so couldn’t complete the registration properly and got kicked out. Made a call and he said to answer yes to the question. I asked him to complete it and he agreed.
Now video conference with a virtual nurse. She was getting paid by the hour because she meticulously slow. After the test on each boy which required 15, yes 15 seconds of swabbing in each nostril, on children!!! Told us to place the test back in the box and seal it, then place it in the sealed bag and told to drop them in the drop box. Well the address for the drop box is now in the sealed bag? So she tries to look up the address. 10 minutes later she says she couldn’t find a city called Port Francis. You are a Canadian resident and you’ve never heard of FORT Francis? Then she can’t find the drop box address so asks me to open the sealed bag to retrieve the address. So I now had an altered “sealed” bag and then dropped off in a drop box, a metal box at Uhaul, outside and not secure! You can’t make this up. It took 2 and 1/2 hours to complete this whole process!
Low and behold we got our results today 5 days later and we are already back in the states. Of course negative as they were at Walgreens less the 24 hours earlier.
So if you are taking minors into Canada you might want to contact them ahead of time to have logged all of your information into the website.
Canada has a new division, it’s called the Ministry of Stupidity!
bturg
Posted 9/14/2021 12:08 AM (#990832 - in reply to #984281)

Just crossed a week ago with no issues but saw others being turned back also. If you have everything they ask for it is pretty straight forward. The BIG NO NO is having an antigen (not accepted) test vs a PCR test which is one they accept.

Virtually everyone we saw turned back was for this reason...except the guy who "forgot:" he had a handgun in the vehicle. Come to think of it they invited him to stay a while.
MuskyMidget
Posted 9/14/2021 8:55 AM (#990838 - in reply to #984281)

We made it through yesterday in Baudette. No other vehicles ahead of us. No issues.

Asked the normal questions. Had to provide vax card, passport, and test results. We did the rapid “diagnostic” test from Walgreens. ID now it’s called. NAAT Test. No issues.

The longest part of the crossing was having to go in and pay duty on all of our extra booze
MuskyMidget
Posted 9/14/2021 8:57 AM (#990839 - in reply to #984281)

By the way my test results from Walgreens in Blaine took only 26 minutes.
ManitouDan
Posted 9/14/2021 1:44 PM (#990841 - in reply to #984281)

Are they random testing people in I Falls ? I've been told 2 things about the " blue boxes" that they were doing random confirmation test at the border and that those were actually for testing on the way back into the states if one desires to be tested then . Needless to say both cant be true .
Tommy
Posted 9/14/2021 3:40 PM (#990844 - in reply to #984281)

They are. I got one when I went in late August. They give you a box, you call in and do it over vid appt, and have it scheduled to be picked up.

Not sure what the end goal really is of it though. I was in Sioux Narrows, took the test on the Saturday I arrived, was picked up on Tuesday, and I got the results when I was back in the States on Saturday. So if it's intended to quarantine an infected traveler, not really helping there, but might in a more populated area where the turnaround would be quicker. I wondered if it's more to just track data to see how many positives there are based off current requirements to cross. So like a validation check of policy to see if it's working or something.

Whatever. No harm done.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 9/17/2021 11:58 AM (#992882 - in reply to #990844)

Just checking
Is the Walgreens rapid PCR test okay to use?
Dave T.
Posted 9/17/2021 2:44 PM (#992883 - in reply to #984281)

the rapid diagnostic test (ID NOW) is the one we used.. not the rapid antigen test.

results back within 24 hours it says, we got ours back in about 2..
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 9/20/2021 2:39 PM (#993938 - in reply to #992883)

How much are they charging for the rapid PCR test to cross the border?
MuskyMidget
Posted 9/20/2021 6:17 PM (#993941 - in reply to #984281)

It was free at Walgreens. They didn’t even ask for my insurance info.
bturg
Posted 9/20/2021 8:46 PM (#993944 - in reply to #984281)

They are doing rapids tests in I Falls FYI so if you have the wrong one you can rectify the issue there. The are doing some random re-testing at that station. A guy in camp got selected for a re-test and was told they have a mandate at that location to do a minimum of 13 re-tests on crossers with positive results a day by the Canadian border service.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)