Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian Border PCR Test Question

Message Subject: Canadian Border PCR Test Question
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/23/2021 8:44 AM (#984281)
Subject: Canadian Border PCR Test Question

I don't think this has been discussed in the other border threads ...

The rules state a negative test (not rapid) within 72 hours of crossing the border.

I am crossing in a few weeks and want to plan ahead. I am looking back right now at a test result I had from October. It's from Vault which is the provided Minnesota uses for all their saliva testing.

There is no time stamp on it. It says the date of the test is 10/26/20 and the date of the result is 10/27/20.

So when does the clock start ticking? I assume it's 72 hours from the date of test which would've been 10/26/20. So does that mean I could've crossed on the 27th, 28th, or 29th and be ok? Because technically sometime on the 29th the test would've actually been over 72 hours old.

Without a time stamp, there's no way to actually verify the 72 hours, just 3 days?

I've heard of people literally almost not being able to board flights because they were on the verge of expiring tests.

I'm a super anal accountant and this is bothering me because I want to know exactly how this works.

Any insight or real world experiences would be helpful.

Thanks - Midge

muskyhawk66
Posted 8/23/2021 9:40 AM (#984286 - in reply to #984281)
Subject: RE: Canadian Border PCR Test Question

You need a pcr test within 72 hours of your departure if flying and I assume within 72 hours of your border crossing. you also need to fill out an arriveCAN app and have proof that you are fully vaccinated. I got the rapid pcr test within 48 hours of my departure.

Also, if you're flying you need an antigen test within 72 hours of your departure. My friends drove and they did not have to have an updated antigen test to reenter the US.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/23/2021 10:21 AM (#984289 - in reply to #984281)
Subject: Re: Canadian Border PCR Test Question

Thanks for the response muskyhawk, but that doesn't help if you read my question.
ToddM
Posted 8/23/2021 11:53 AM (#984291 - in reply to #984281)

I am at a clinic waiting to get tested right now. I am roughly 60 hours out from the border crossing. While waiting a buddy of mine told me a mutual friend was just turned away at the border because his test was longer than 72 hours. I do not know by how much, I will inquire.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/23/2021 11:56 AM (#984293 - in reply to #984281)

Thanks Todd.

This is my point. How do they calculate 72 hours when the test isn't time stamped? It's only date stamped.

I want to see how it would actually work on a calendar.
Abu7000
Posted 8/23/2021 12:32 PM (#984297 - in reply to #984293)

Find another provider for your test. Make sure you get your test from a provider that time stamps the date as well as the time the test was taken. Pretty simple way to reduce your anxiety.

Edited by Abu7000 8/23/2021 12:35 PM
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/23/2021 12:45 PM (#984298 - in reply to #984281)

Yah, I get it Abu7000.

I wasn't sure if other providers time stamped or not. The largest outfit the state of MN uses apparently doesn't, unless that's changed since I last did it.
randers41
Posted 8/23/2021 2:32 PM (#984300 - in reply to #984281)

Walgreens provides a time stamp. I got their rapid NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test) and got results back in two hours. The trick is to find a Walgreens capable of doing in house testing. Forward Pharmacy got me my results back in 22 hrs. I did try testing about a week out from when I needed it so I could get an understanding of what my time constraints would be.
AaronTicknor
Posted 8/23/2021 3:35 PM (#984303 - in reply to #984300)

I crossed super easy with a drive through test at Walgreens. Took my test Wednesday at 4pm and crossed ~7pm on Friday no issues. Sign up on Walgreens site for a rapid diagnostic test (ID NOW), tests locally fill up quick I think they schedule ~3 days out so keep checking until you can get on the schedule. Drive through, they give you a swab at the window, 5 turns each side of your nose and send back. Done this twice now and waited no longer than 2hrs for results. When you get the email download the lab results PDF. That will show your result along with the test type (NAAT). Your name, date/time collected and date/time reported back to you.

Between myself, parents, wife, extended family we've used 6 different Walgreens locations, paid nothing and had all folks cross with success.

At the border I came prepared with our negative test reports printed, a quarantine plan printed, ArriveCAN app submitted, vaccination card, and of course passports. The agent asked for our negative test reports and passports, asked the standard questions and we went on our way.

Edited by AaronTicknor 8/23/2021 3:45 PM
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/23/2021 3:58 PM (#984304 - in reply to #984281)

Thanks Aaron. I wasn't aware that Walgreens had the rapid test that wasn't antigen. I have the ability to take a rapid PCR close to home, but it costs $195.

Tell me more about your quarantine plan. I know they can do a random test at the border. I think it's very interesting that they would actually want to keep you in Canada to quarantine. You would think they would just turn you around and send you home.

AaronTicknor
Posted 8/23/2021 4:12 PM (#984305 - in reply to #984281)

Here is the plan verbatim. We have property in NW Ontario, traveled through Fort Francis. I've heard a lot of camps are providing these for their guests as well.

Contingency Plan Quarantine Letter
Our property is in a remote area, with a 5K driveway. We have 1 hours and 1 cabin on our property. In the event someone gets sick or tests positive for COVID 19 they will self-isolate in the cabin for their quarantine period of 14 days. Our only neighbor (named), will help us contact free if we need anything during those 14 days (neighbor phone number)

We will call the Northwest Health Unit at 807-226-9626 for instructions if we get sick.

(Property address)

One thing I might add, two of our extended family needed to take a test upon arrival. That system appears to be messy for a lot of reasons. Best I can say if you get picked there is hope you don't get picked.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/23/2021 4:26 PM (#984307 - in reply to #984281)

Thanks Aaron, I will reach out to our resort and see if they have a plan in place that they are providing to guests.
ToddM
Posted 8/23/2021 4:37 PM (#984308 - in reply to #984281)

Mine is time stamped. That's the first thing I checked when they gave me the paperwork. I also was given two extra documents one with more info on the clinic and the test. Another has a clinical summary. Overkill but I took it.

It's also fun watching your fishing partner get that q-tip run way up his nose.
RLSea
Posted 8/23/2021 8:49 PM (#984311 - in reply to #984281)

I also took the Walgreens drive-through test. Very easy. One thing the Canadian border patrol officer said was the lab report which is provided by the facility that verifies the Walgreens test is preferred. It has the time stamp, type of test, and physician on the report. It wasn't absolutely necessary but preferred. I had the lab report as well as the results summary with me.

Edited by RLSea 8/23/2021 8:50 PM
Abu7000
Posted 8/24/2021 6:36 AM (#984317 - in reply to #984281)

Pre-Arrival Covid Testing Option in Baudette
Thrifty White Pharmacy, located at 111 N Main Ave in Baudette, is doing pre-arrival covid testing with results within 30 mins of swab time.
Testing is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm and is by walk-in only.
This will be a great back-up option for anyone traveling during the week that is concerned about getting rest results back in time before their 72 hour window closes.
Cost is $75 per test.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/126185504207582/?multi_permalinks=19...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 111111111111111111111111111111111.docx (119KB - 239 downloads)
Tommy
Posted 8/24/2021 8:15 AM (#984318 - in reply to #984281)

If you keep the appt confirmation of when you took your test, maybe that would work as a timestamp as well? Just thinking out loud, but sounds like there's some better options than that here, but as a last resort might work.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/24/2021 9:11 AM (#984319 - in reply to #984281)

Being as anal as I am, I will probably end up doing 3 different tests at 3 different places to make sure one of the three works! LOL
ToddM
Posted 8/24/2021 10:40 AM (#984323 - in reply to #984281)

One thing I noticed on the ArrivCan app is it asks where you will quarantine for 14 days. They should update this now that people can cross for less time. You are forced to say yes to a 14 day quarantine.
ToddM
Posted 8/24/2021 3:50 PM (#984335 - in reply to #984281)

Another.oddity. my partner did his ArriveCan information yesterday and he has a countdown timer on his confirmation. I did mine today and I do not have that timer but I do have a successful confirmation.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/24/2021 3:58 PM (#984337 - in reply to #984281)

I tried to get the ArriveCan app all filled out, but it told me to come back within 3 days of my departure. Hello? I would like to fill out what I can in case there's an issue I am not under the gun.

Muskyfreak44
Posted 8/24/2021 10:52 PM (#984355 - in reply to #984281)

Does anyone have an example of the quarantine plan from a resort by chance? I would like to see what is says. Thank you in advance!
ToddM
Posted 8/25/2021 6:45 AM (#984358 - in reply to #984355)

Muskyfreak44 - 8/24/2021 10:52 PM

Does anyone have an example of the quarantine plan from a resort by chance? I would like to see what is says. Thank you in advance!

It's just a very simple letter stating there is a quarantine location and address. About a paragraph long. I literally got it yesterday and printing it out this morning.
AaronTicknor
Posted 8/25/2021 9:43 AM (#984374 - in reply to #984281)

We built our personal plan off a public camp. Here is their plan:
Quarantine Plan

I am fully vaccinated and tested negative for Covid prior to crossing border. During my trip I will naturally be social distancing as we are in a rural area, in our own cabin. However, in the event that I get Covid, I will quarantine for 14 days based on the following:

Camp address

They will provide a cabin that is reserved for self-isolation.

In the event that I need medical treatment, I will go home into the United States, and will not stop anywhere between quarantine cabin and the border, and will wear a mask at border, and while in close proximity to anyone else.

Camp name and phone number for confirmation.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/25/2021 10:41 AM (#984378 - in reply to #984281)

Thanks Aaron. This leads me to a question I don't think has been addressed/answered. If you happen to pop a positive test on a random test at the border I would assume they just turn you around to go back to the US.

Or do we know that this is what this quarantine plan is actually for if you test positive. I have a hard time believing that if you test positive at the border they are going to let you continue on to a resort?

Let me know if anyone actually has an answer on what happens with a positive test at the border.

Thanks - Midge
AaronTicknor
Posted 8/25/2021 12:18 PM (#984380 - in reply to #984281)

Two minors in our group they wanted to test, handed their parents two kits and said take the test with virtual nurse and send in. Very long story and leaving out a lot of details, but you know the service situation in NW Ontario, we couldn't connect virtually. No drop off location for the prepaid postage company that transport tests from out east. Overall, a mess. You won't get a test at the border - least at FF anyway.

So in my mind the plan is for if you take the test, mail it in, actually get the results while you are there. The company that handles the tests said it would take 1.5 weeks to get a new test to the kids, back to the lab, and results to us.

Edited by AaronTicknor 8/25/2021 12:21 PM
Dave T.
Posted 8/25/2021 1:55 PM (#984383 - in reply to #984374)

AaronTicknor - 8/25/2021 9:43 AM

Quarantine Plan

I am fully vaccinated and tested negative for Covid prior to crossing border. During my trip I will naturally be social distancing as we are in a rural area, in our own cabin. However, in the event that I get Covid, I will quarantine for 14 days based on the following:

Camp address

In the event that I need medical treatment, I will go home into the United States, and will not stop anywhere between quarantine cabin and the border, and will wear a mask at border, and while in close proximity to anyone else.

what if you're not going to be there for 14 days or more? do you still have to put 14 days for quarantine time?

Edited by Dave T. 8/25/2021 1:56 PM
Doonan
Posted 8/25/2021 3:37 PM (#984388 - in reply to #984374)

AaronTicknor - 8/25/2021 9:43 AM

Quarantine Plan

Camp address

Where did you have to write this plan? I'm about through the arrive can app and all I needed was an address to quarantine.
AaronTicknor
Posted 8/25/2021 5:25 PM (#984392 - in reply to #984383)

I can't say for certain, was only there for 8 days. Figured if I tested positive a few extra days at the cabin wouldn't be the worst place to be.

Literally wrote the plan in word and had it printed. They only asked for our negative tests and thinking everything else came through via the app.

Edited by AaronTicknor 8/25/2021 5:28 PM
ToddM
Posted 8/25/2021 9:57 PM (#984400 - in reply to #984281)

I crossed at pigeon river this evening. We had our masks on they did not ask us to remove them. They asked for our passports and only them first. They asked some basic questions then wanted our covid test. That's it didn't ask for the vaccination card or ask if we were. Didn't ask where we were staying or ask for the quarantine plan.

Edited by ToddM 8/25/2021 9:58 PM
Dave T.
Posted 8/26/2021 8:13 AM (#985407 - in reply to #984400)

ToddM - 8/25/2021 9:57 PM

I crossed at pigeon river this evening. We had our masks on they did not ask us to remove them. They asked for our passports and only them first. They asked some basic questions then wanted our covid test. That's it didn't ask for the vaccination card or ask if we were. Didn't ask where we were staying or ask for the quarantine plan.

oh wow, i didnt even realize there was a crossing at that location!

do you mind if i ask where you are going fishing?? Havent heard of anyone going in that direction to fish skis' before..
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)