Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> ok, one more question. do you think Canada could reclose border?

Message Subject: ok, one more question. do you think Canada could reclose border?
Dave T.
Posted 8/16/2021 12:42 PM (#984121)
Subject: ok, one more question. do you think Canada could reclose border?

just wondering with a rise in cases if anyone thinks they may close the border again?

i dont know what to think about anything still, so i have no idea what they might be thinking..
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2021 2:41 PM (#984124 - in reply to #984121)
Subject: RE: ok, one more question. do you think Canada could reclose border?

Dave T. - 8/16/2021 12:42 PM

just wondering with a rise in cases if anyone thinks they may close the border again?

i dont know what to think about anything still, so i have no idea what they might be thinking..

I think the rise in cases may delay any loosening of restrictions at the border but they knew cases were rising in USA before they opened, and Canada has a high vaccination rate and that percentage is climbing.
Dave T.
Posted 8/16/2021 2:47 PM (#984125 - in reply to #984124)

North of 8 - 8/16/2021 2:41 PM

Dave T. - 8/16/2021 12:42 PM

I think the rise in cases may delay any loosening of restrictions at the border but they knew cases were rising in USA before they opened, and Canada has a high vaccination rate and that percentage is climbing.

kind of my thinking too. just wondering because the rates have really gone up here the last couple of weeks. not sure if they are going to revisit the topic monthly like they did with the closure...
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2021 3:08 PM (#984127 - in reply to #984125)
Subject: Re: ok, one more question. do you think Canada could reclose border?

Very hard to predict. The Delta variant is apparently highly contagious, but Dr. Gootlieb, former head of the FDA, while saying we are in for a very difficult time, also said it could be short lived in that so many people will be infected in a short time, could run its course more quickly than the original COVID 19 virus.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/16/2021 3:35 PM (#984130 - in reply to #984121)

It’s gonna be ok
North of 8
Posted 8/16/2021 3:46 PM (#984131 - in reply to #984130)

Kirby Budrow - 8/16/2021 3:35 PM

It’s gonna be ok :)

With time and perspective, most things are.
IAJustin
Posted 8/16/2021 4:21 PM (#984132 - in reply to #984121)

Absolutely they could shut it down again! and I'm sure it's being discussed now.. Cases in both countries are way higher now than they were in August 2020 with the boarder closed and also much higher and trending up vs when the decision to reopen was made, cases were falling in Canada a month ago...not now...if there are more documented break through cases and the current trend continues...they will slam it back shut quick. I moved my trip up partially because IMO we might not even make it through September/October if the trend continues...outbreaks shouldn't happen in August, usually get worse as fall/winter gets here!
brmusky
Posted 8/16/2021 4:44 PM (#984133 - in reply to #984121)

If the whole world starts shutting their borders again - I would assume Canada will as well. There are still many countries that haven't opened up for travel but it seems like everyone is moving that direction rather than moving towards closures.

None of this makes any sense at all so trying to predict what another government will do is complete guessing. Go early and go often is my approach!
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/17/2021 8:10 AM (#984145 - in reply to #984121)

No, not going to close with the few months left, and not with an election coming up and those tourist operators at least have some time to work with. Vaccinated US citizens coming are not an issue nor will they be, Canadians that can vaccinate but choose not to are the problem (for the ones who can't choose) just like it is down there.

As far as NW Ontario, I would say the way the heat is going, the fires and smoke, might be better off going later. If you want a bear you are pretty much assured 100% success, so also a good time to come a bit later, as we have way too many and they are already starting to be a problem.

Edited by Angling Oracle 8/17/2021 8:14 AM
pickolish1
Posted 8/17/2021 12:24 PM (#984150 - in reply to #984121)

I did a broad "google news search" , and it yielded no talk of reclosing.
Governments act so slowly that it would suggest nothing immediate I would think.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/17/2021 9:14 PM (#984155 - in reply to #984121)

I think Canada should do Canada and the US should do the US. All these opinions on what other countries should do is silly to me. Why should Canada give a rats nice try what I think?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/17/2021 9:32 PM (#984156 - in reply to #984155)

Brian Hoffies - 8/17/2021 9:14 PM

I think Canada should do Canada and the US should do the US. All these opinions on what other countries should do is silly to me. Why should Canada give a rats nice try what I think?

Most accurate thing said!
muskyhawk66
Posted 8/23/2021 9:46 AM (#984288 - in reply to #984121)

My guess is no! They have very strict entry requirements
wavridr
Posted 8/25/2021 4:37 PM (#984391 - in reply to #984145)

Angling Oracle - 8/17/2021 8:10 AM No, not going to close with the few months left, and not with an election coming up and those tourist operators at least have some time to work with. Vaccinated US citizens coming are not an issue nor will they be, Canadians that can vaccinate but choose not to are the problem (for the ones who can't choose) just like it is down there. As far as NW Ontario, I would say the way the heat is going, the fires and smoke, might be better off going later. If you want a bear you are pretty much assured 100% success, so also a good time to come a bit later, as we have way too many and they are already starting to be a problem.

Not sure why you would mention "with a few months left".  Do you actually think that the fishing seasons and hunting seasons have any bearing on what they decide?  Canada is worried about the BIG cities, Montreal, Quebec, Vancouver, Calgary, Windsor etc.  That's where their concerns are.

cdubs
Posted 8/26/2021 7:25 AM (#985405 - in reply to #984121)

Because tourism in Canada accounts for around 150 Billion Dollars and supplies 10% of the jobs in Canada. That would be my guess as to why "with a few months left" was mentioned.
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/27/2021 12:39 PM (#985438 - in reply to #984121)

Yeah, cdubs, is correct. Border not going to close to vaccinated folks. The few months I'm referring to is the chance for the tourist operators that are US summer holiday tourist oriented are finally now given the go ahead to open, staff up, etc are not going to be told to close again. The summer vacation crowd is the moneymaker and the fishing, hunting is one part of it as is sightseeing, camping, cottage rentals you name it, the same as down US way there but many up in Canada are solely orientated to US customers. Churchill polar bears is a big thing here as is waterfowl, bear, deer, fishing of course (especially ice fishing in late Feb and March here), and all the travel related stays, flights, vehicle rental, gas, food, same as anywhere. The university tourist set also has the lower drinking age and the maryjane stores to visit. Winter add in skiing, sno-mo touring, lots of festials etc. No one here is talking about closing it, in fact the issue is that there is concern on the reluctance of folks coming still and people are a bit PO'd that it isn't reciprocal.

As far as musky fishing venues you can listen to Ugly Pike podcast Julian Kalka from Any Myers and Backlash also had a podcast from a Lac Seul operator. These folks are not closing now after staffing up.

If you can come by all means plan it as not going to close now.

Edited by Angling Oracle 8/27/2021 12:44 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)