Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Entering Canada...Info and links

Message Subject: Entering Canada...Info and links
VMS
Posted 7/21/2021 10:08 AM (#982461)
Subject: Entering Canada...Info and links

Hi Everyone,

As the Canada border is opening on the 9th, I started looking into the process. First and foremost is the ArriveCAN pass.

Links you will need:

Create an Account: https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/welcome

This will get you to a disclosure screen, then you will be prompted to sign in/create an account. From there, you will then be asked of your date for arrival. You cannot apply for the pass until you are within 72 hours of your travel date. So... August 6th you can input your information.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/21/2021 10:10 AM (#982462 - in reply to #982461)
Subject: Re: Entering Canada...Info and links

Here is press release that covers the basics:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-ca...

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/21/2021 10:11 AM
MuskyTime
Posted 7/21/2021 12:01 PM (#982476 - in reply to #982461)

The one big question that I have is this....

If a negative test is required within 3 days prior to your arrival into Canada, how the heck does that work when crossing into Canada each day for a week? Will the negative test be good for the duration of your stay? This is assuming you remain in Canada the entire trip.

Take the NW Angle for example. Do you need to re-test every 3 days? There will be no place on the Angle to test? You are re-entering Canada each day, after day one two or three depending on when you took your Covid test to meet the 3 day window, your test will expire. Assuming you would need to register each day on the ArriveCAN app, it will require a negative test within the last three days and of course you are vaccinated. Can you see the issue? If no place to test at the Angle, would you need to head back into the Warroad or Roseau for a Covid test?

I have also heard that private vessels may not be allowed into Canada with this opening.

Canadian resorts may be our only bet?

That would suck for the Minnesota resorts along the boarder.

Ed

Edited by MuskyTime 7/21/2021 12:03 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/21/2021 1:10 PM (#982482 - in reply to #982461)

Yes, I'm curious about remote border crossing.
welfaretrain
Posted 7/21/2021 1:12 PM (#982483 - in reply to #982461)

Any restrictions on getting BACK into the US for US citizens?
TimmyP19
Posted 7/21/2021 1:21 PM (#982484 - in reply to #982483)

+1 on the coming back into the US question.

Edited by TimmyP19 7/21/2021 1:25 PM
IAJustin
Posted 7/21/2021 2:04 PM (#982488 - in reply to #982484)

I'm just hoping they close the border when I'm there - HA!!!
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/21/2021 2:30 PM (#982489 - in reply to #982461)

Yeah, I think you guys need to sort out your getting back plan, as the US land crossing thing is not reciprocal yet (ie going to US from Canada). Definitely the day tripping out I think based on current scenarios.

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/21/2021 2:32 PM
MuskyTime
Posted 7/21/2021 2:41 PM (#982491 - in reply to #982483)

Buddy of mine called Canadian and U.S boarder officials this morning at Sprague and Warroad. Canadian boarder patrol has been asking all the same questions we are asking, as far as water crossings and day trips. The higher up's in Canadian boarder patrol have no answers yet.

The U.S. Border patrol in Warroad confirmed that boarder is closed until August 21st. Angle residents have a special exception. They didn't understand why they aren't opening with the Canadians.

Both boarder patrols said it's a mess.

The one point the Canadian patrol mentioned was this, if you get tested it has to be a PCR test.
Tommy
Posted 7/21/2021 3:40 PM (#982494 - in reply to #982461)

What I read is that US citizens returning to the US is considered essential travel. So as an American, you can visit Canada and come back. You just can't come into the US as a Canadian.
Gottagofast
Posted 7/21/2021 4:25 PM (#982498 - in reply to #982461)

Anyone who has any dumb ideas Submitting false vaccination information can cost you $750,000, 6 months in jail or both.
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/21/2021 7:35 PM (#982505 - in reply to #982461)

I would like to take my just turned 13 year old daughter to Canada. Does she need to be vaccinated to get in?
ToddM
Posted 7/21/2021 9:01 PM (#982506 - in reply to #982461)

Looks like.an opportunity to fish Savant Lake was just offered to me at the end of August. Got to get that app.
mcnewbski
Posted 7/21/2021 9:08 PM (#982507 - in reply to #982461)

This was sent out by the LOW District Stewardship Association: Points 3 and 4 address kids.

"USA-Canadian Border Update
The Canadian-American Border is opening and it's good news for our American neighbours looking to travel to their cottage. Expect the border to open August 9, 2021. Before you head this way ensure you have all of your paperwork in order and plans arranged for COVID-19 protocol to save any preventable issues at the crossings. We want your travel to be as smooth as possible!

Here are some things to know:

1. Border Services Info: Here is the complete check list and regulations in place for travel. This LOWDSA list is a guideline, please ensure you have everything you require depending on your specific travel needs. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinat...
2. ArriveCAN App: In order to cross the border, you must be fully vaccinated with all doses completed 14-days before travel. The app will guide your through the steps to confirm your vaccination and give you proof to scan at the border. It can be downloaded in your preferred App store.
3. COVID Testing: A negative pre-test is required with results on hand and must be done within 72 hours of entry. Everyone over the age of five, regardless of vaccination, must complete this test. There is an arrival test that needs to be completed, as well, and it's advised to book this ahead of time. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-...
4. Traveling with unvaccinated children and fully vaccinated adults (5 years to under 18): A 14-day quarantine plan must be in place after arrival. Children 12 and over who are fully vaccinated do not have to quarantine.
5. Upon Arrival: Anticipate provincial regulations such as mask protocols, gathering limits and social distancing rules as they apply to locals and visitors alike. Details can be found at this link for Ontario. https://www.ontario.ca/page/reopening-ontario If you're traveling to another province, please see their guidelines for any differences.
6. Welcome! - We're excited to have you back and welcome your friendly faces! It's been a long time, things are just starting to open back up, services are getting the hang of life again and we're thrilled to have all our visitors back. We wish everyone safe and happy travels!
RLSea
Posted 7/21/2021 9:22 PM (#982508 - in reply to #982461)

Returning to the US should not be a problem. CDC recommends a Covid test within 3-5 days after returning, but not required (unlike air travelers) from what I read. Travelers need to stay tuned, however, because the situation seems fluid.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-tr...
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/21/2021 9:31 PM (#982509 - in reply to #982494)

Tommy - 7/21/2021 3:40 PM

What I read is that US citizens returning to the US is considered essential travel. So as an American, you can visit Canada and come back. You just can't come into the US as a Canadian.

Yes, it seems you are correct, if you are US citizen looks like you can come back without restrictions, so just the day trip aspect of coming back into Canada seems to be problematic if going back and forth

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/21/2021 9:35 PM
Special K
Posted 7/22/2021 7:39 AM (#982511 - in reply to #982461)
Subject: RE: Entering Canada...Info and links

Anyone have any info on just entering via boat to fish and then returning to the States? Going to Clayton NY area to camp and fish the St Lawrence. Want to take my boat back and forth across the water border fishing daily. Any ideas about what to expect or what I would need?
Abu7000
Posted 7/22/2021 11:19 AM (#982518 - in reply to #982461)

As of today, one can not enter Canada by water so even if one gets to The Angle, they will not be able to fish Canadian waters.
This according to the border officer at the Canadian border north of Roseau.
ManitouDan
Posted 7/25/2021 7:06 AM (#982568 - in reply to #982461)

Do you have to use the CanApp thing or just show recent ( within 72 hours) COVID test results on your own phone or a printed out negative test from your local hospital/clinic ? I'm assuming the CanAPP is mandatory . But I';m being real here , old fisherman tend to be not the most technologically savvy people on earth , I'd guess the large majority have no clue have to download the app, then upload negative test result via the app. Its certainly not an easy process . Coordinating a trip to fly in or long drive with multiple people is challenging , this wont help.
redskeet100
Posted 7/26/2021 9:16 AM (#982599 - in reply to #982461)

So you have to quarantine for 14 days? Is staying in your boat fishing considered a quarantine?
mcnewbski
Posted 7/27/2021 4:29 PM (#982658 - in reply to #982461)

Toronto Star July 27:
Border agents have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a strike action that could begin as early as Aug. 6 — three days before the Canadian government is set to open the door to fully vaccinated U.S. travellers
The 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency employees have been without a contract for more than three years and gave their unions the new mandate through a strike vote tallied over the weekend after bargaining with management and Treasury Board reached a stalemate...
...Although only 2,600 officers can go on full strike because their posts are deemed non-essential for the safety and security of the public, the job action would likely slow traffic into Canada as the union can resort to work-to-rule and rotating strikes to disrupt service...
Abu7000
Posted 7/28/2021 6:04 PM (#982680 - in reply to #982461)

Canada border guards vote to strike days ahead of reopening to U.S. tourists

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-border-guards-vote-str...

Edited by Abu7000 7/28/2021 6:06 PM
goose
Posted 7/28/2021 10:02 PM (#982684 - in reply to #982461)

Hey fellas, does anyone know if Canada will accept results back from a Walgreens for the Rapid Diagnosis test (ID NOW)? I know they will not accept Rapid Antigen Test, but the PCR test may take 3 days to get results back and that might not work for our timing in crossing the border. This Rapid Diagnosis Test gets results back with 24hrs Walgreens says…..We plan on crossing border on Sat Aug 14th at 5ish. Thanks for any response, I can’t wait to go to Canada w/ my Dad but this whole process is stressful, plus my Dad is 83 so I am doing everything….I sure hope those border agents do not strike!!!
ManitouDan
Posted 7/29/2021 6:13 AM (#982687 - in reply to #982461)

Really hard ball backhanded thing to do , they have had 2 years to work out their complaints and now want to actually strike when the border opens .. they must be ran by the same type of goons that run unions in the states
North of 8
Posted 7/29/2021 6:43 AM (#982688 - in reply to #982684)

goose - 7/28/2021 10:02 PM

Hey fellas, does anyone know if Canada will accept results back from a Walgreens for the Rapid Diagnosis test (ID NOW)? I know they will not accept Rapid Antigen Test, but the PCR test may take 3 days to get results back and that might not work for our timing in crossing the border. This Rapid Diagnosis Test gets results back with 24hrs Walgreens says…..We plan on crossing border on Sat Aug 14th at 5ish. Thanks for any response, I can’t wait to go to Canada w/ my Dad but this whole process is stressful, plus my Dad is 83 so I am doing everything….I sure hope those border agents do not strike!!!

Two weeks ago, a friend whose mother was ill in Toronto, got permission to enter Canada to visit her mom and they accepted the Walgreen test for her. Don't know if that will be the case for regular entry, but it was for the compassionate entry.
North of 8
Posted 7/29/2021 7:59 AM (#982692 - in reply to #982687)

ManitouDan - 7/29/2021 6:13 AM

Really hard ball backhanded thing to do , they have had 2 years to work out their complaints and now want to actually strike when the border opens .. they must be ran by the same type of goons that run unions in the states

Like it or not, that is the time for a strike from a negotiations stand point. I don't know Canadian labor law, but in the USA, if a union was stalemated and they chose not to use that kind of leverage, their members could sue the leadership for failure to do their duty.
TCESOX
Posted 7/29/2021 6:59 PM (#982706 - in reply to #982687)

ManitouDan - 7/29/2021 6:13 AM

Yup. When you spend two years trying your best to get a decent deal, and are constantly stonewalled, getting nowhere, it's time to play hardball. That's how labor negotiations work. Management plays hardball, and so does the union.
mcnewbski
Posted 7/30/2021 4:42 PM (#982725 - in reply to #982461)

Classy folks on this forum, but in case you hear of someone who's tempted:
"American tourists caught sneaking into Canada with fake vaccine documents and lying about pre-departure tests get fined $20,000."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/travellers-u-s-fined-fake-vac...
North of 8
Posted 7/30/2021 5:12 PM (#982726 - in reply to #982725)

mcnewbski - 7/30/2021 4:42 PM

Classy folks on this forum, but in case you hear of someone who's tempted:
"American tourists caught sneaking into Canada with fake vaccine documents and lying about pre-departure tests get fined $20,000."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/travellers-u-s-fined-fake-vac...

And up to $5,000 a day if it takes a while to catch you? Whew, that could be a really expensive fishing trip.
OH Musky
Posted 8/6/2021 4:13 PM (#982900 - in reply to #982461)

Spencer Berman just sent out an email saying the CA waters are open to US boaters starting Aug 9 and no testing or vaccine cards are needed as long as you don’t anchor or hit the shore.

Is this true? Anyone else have that info?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)