Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hot spots - how do you treat them?

Message Subject: Hot spots - how do you treat them?
tenthousandand1
Posted 7/9/2021 8:39 AM (#982147)
Subject: Hot spots - how do you treat them?

5 fish this year from a 1-acre patch of weeds, all on topwater.
3 fish last year on suicks from a different 20-foot section of a weed point.

... and the rest of the lake seems like a desert.

There are times where I simply doubt there could be any more fish not recently caught on these spots and bam - they keep hitting.

Just how many fish can remain on a spot? Do you keep throwing different presentations? How often in between do you let the spot rest?

I wish my home lake was this good, but this kind of action sure makes me glad I travel a bit.

-Darryl
IAJustin
Posted 7/9/2021 10:20 AM (#982149 - in reply to #982147)
Subject: Re: Hot spots - how do you treat them?

I have found there are places on lakes where fish go to feed... these spot can be relatively small...how many different fish will use one prime spot in a season? Dozens... I've caught dozens in spots smaller than 1/2 a football field some seasons...heck one crazy sequence a year ago I got 5 over 40" in a 45 minute window.. boat was on spot lock the entire time .....and yes different presentations (sometimes slight changes like switching from a bulldawg to madussa helps scratch out another fish)....also I really really like a bondy bait when I "know" there are several fish around...especially after you pick off a kamikaze or two.. Don't be afraid to refish good spots 3-4 times in an 8 hour day, there's generally a reason why muskies are where they are...and its not unusual to have several "buddies" nearby..good luck!
esoxaddict
Posted 7/9/2021 10:59 AM (#982150 - in reply to #982149)

Anybody that tells you they are "solitary" hasn't fished long enough. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen fish pile up in one small area like that. Generally if there's one in there, there's a reason for it, and there's likely to be a couple more. If you catch one of them, don't change a thing! Pick the area apart, and then come back later and do it again.
ToddM
Posted 7/9/2021 5:10 PM (#982153 - in reply to #982147)

I am guessing you don't fish these spots all the time just on trips.based on the amount of fish you catch. I would hit them every day of your trip at every peak time there is available, sunrise, set, moon rise, set underfoot (overhead shoot it down with something I tried can't get it done) and any weather front moving in.
OH Musky
Posted 7/12/2021 5:32 PM (#982193 - in reply to #982147)

Went 3 for 4 in a small cove this weekend. Yeah, it’s a community hole with what appears like a train rolling thru at times. Four boats were in there all circling thru Saturday. I was the only one who boated anything although one first time musky fisherman lost a big one on a huge spinner bait. Flat shelf off a creek that drops off into deeper water. Maybe 200’ x 100’. This time of year they are basically stacked in there. Of course, they come and go. Went 8 for 12 over four days last year before the temps skyrocketed. Tactics are definitely what triggers them as everyone else was throwing stereotypical musky baits...large and loud. I was using large bass baits on musky tackle. Gotta throw what they want.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)