Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Heavy wind blown banks

Message Subject: Heavy wind blown banks
Muskyrookie
Posted 6/25/2021 12:06 PM (#981884)
Subject: Heavy wind blown banks

I was wondering with alot of experience in this forum, what is your take on rocky banks that have a sustained 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30 or so wind? It's usually windy around here. Will the fish just hunker down deep to avoid getting beaten up or will they suspend over deeper water? I was out yesterday and these were the conditions and slight clouds and the only fish I saw were some bass, bluegill, and shad the size of my lures swimming in with them lol. So I know I was around bait, is their any certain tactics or presentations that up your odds in these conditions? Visibility was maybe 2 feet of silty green. I tossed about 20 or so baits in different styles, colors, subtle- obnoxious, top water- deep divers , double 10s ( had a giant shad follow this) , ... and I could only get bait to follow lol go figure. Their was a dozen or so other anglers fishing for trout, panfish, bass and none of them caught anything. Other than keep casting is their other things to help out my chances in these conditions? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Muskyrookie 6/25/2021 12:42 PM
ToddM
Posted 6/25/2021 12:23 PM (#981886 - in reply to #981884)
Subject: RE: Heavy wind blown banks

I would consider trolling just outside not the shallow water.
Muskyrookie
Posted 6/25/2021 12:42 PM (#981887 - in reply to #981886)
Subject: RE: Heavy wind blown banks

Unfortunately fishing from the bank
IAJustin
Posted 6/25/2021 12:44 PM (#981888 - in reply to #981884)
Subject: Re: Heavy wind blown banks

Those are fish catching conditions for sure!!! ...Wind pounding a bank, shad in the area...keep chucking!!! Can't go wrong with double 10's in the conditions you describe.
Muskyrookie
Posted 6/25/2021 12:47 PM (#981889 - in reply to #981888)

Is a more fast and erratic retrieve better in the conditions?
IAJustin
Posted 6/25/2021 1:18 PM (#981891 - in reply to #981884)

No rules....but yes those are both great triggers...any idea what your water temps are? and from some of your previous posts are you maybe targeting Tiger's/hybrids? There are so many factors just in individual lakes, what the fish will do by water temp, on and on....tough if not in a boat..but if shad are available and you have them following your baits to shore that's a very good sign that ole musky can show up anytime!
Muskyrookie
Posted 6/25/2021 1:47 PM (#981894 - in reply to #981891)

Last week long we had storms come through with a major cool down over the weekend with night time Temps in the 40s. Yesterday was the 3rd day of a warming trend into the 70s. The water was Slightly cool to the touch. A couple weeks ago I was in the weedy shallow bay with water warm to the touch. I would've tried there again but the weeds are already ridiculous, the weeds from last year died but remain and is like hair. Even pulling weed less baits through gets wrapped up with it, just not on the hook. Even buzzbaits get wrapped up by it. Yes it's tigers at this place, the problem is their is so much bait for them to eat, coupled with ignorant kayakers that its really tough especially from shore since you can't work the outside weed edges and dropoffs where most of the structure is. At this place I pretty much have to fish for the suspenders, roamers, or positioned like at times I had yesterday. To be honest this lakes sucks to fish from the banks but the allure of getting a musky draws me back. I've been wanting to fish the rivers here but water was so high for a while that the banks were flooded. There we have naturals and hybrids. Other lakes have been drawn down but should be around normal now which opens up more possibilities.
Ranger
Posted 7/1/2021 4:09 PM (#982033 - in reply to #981884)

First catch a couple bullheads in some local pond. Use a trot line, toss out in the evening and next morning pull them in and cut the line, little hooks still in the bullheads. Now take the bullheads in a bucket of water to your spot, use side cutters to clip their side pokers and fling them beeetches out 3' under a big bobber. Quick strike rig.

Those bullheads are incredibly tough. While dog fishing I once speared a big one, threw it on shore and the next morning it was still alive. (Felt bad about that so don't do that stupid #*#* anymore.) Every other baitfish will quickly demise but not bullheads, they're tough as turtles.
North of 8
Posted 7/1/2021 5:51 PM (#982040 - in reply to #982033)

Ranger - 7/1/2021 4:09 PM

First catch a couple bullheads in some local pond. Use a trot line, toss out in the evening and next morning pull them in and cut the line, little hooks still in the bullheads. Now take the bullheads in a bucket of water to your spot, use side cutters to clip their side pokers and fling them beeetches out 3' under a big bobber. Quick strike rig.

Those bullheads are incredibly tough. While dog fishing I once speared a big one, threw it on shore and the next morning it was still alive. (Felt bad about that so don't do that stupid #*#* anymore.) Every other baitfish will quickly demise but not bullheads, they're tough as turtles.

Yep, growing up a block from the Wis. River in the 1960s, we used to fish bullheads from the Wisconsin, which was literally a sewer back then. Hot day, might have 3 or 4 of us kids sitting on the bank catching bullheads. To keep score we tossed ours in a pile and when ready to go, counted then kicked them back in the river. Couple hours in the baking sun and everyone of them swam away.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)