Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Stolen gear

Message Subject: Stolen gear
Rob C
Posted 5/17/2021 2:16 PM (#979973)
Subject: Stolen gear

I left a bass/walleye rod and reel combo at the blackwater lake (Longville) boat launch. I noticed it was missing fairly quickly upon leaving, and when I returned it was gone. The rod is a 6'6 M ugly stick that's in rough shape (dried mud about halfway up the rod). The reel is a brand new BPS carbon light spinning reel with 10lb test line. Unfortunately I have no pictures of this combo.

I believe it was taken by a man driving a gray SUV or pickup towing an older (1990-2000 era) blue fishing boat (unknown make/model). He was cleaning his boat as I left and would have certainly seen me take off without the rod and reel. He was the only other one at the launch, and I watched him pull out of the parking lot as I was coming back in to get my rod and reel.

If anyone sees a rod and reel combo with this description for sale online please let me know.

Edited by Rob C 5/17/2021 2:21 PM
Ranger
Posted 5/20/2021 6:21 PM (#980064 - in reply to #979973)
Subject: RE: Stolen gear

nope

Edited by Ranger 5/20/2021 7:21 PM
Ranger
Posted 5/20/2021 6:47 PM (#980065 - in reply to #980064)
Subject: RE: Stolen gear

ditto

Edited by Ranger 5/20/2021 7:21 PM
basscaster
Posted 6/7/2021 5:47 PM (#980457 - in reply to #979973)
Subject: Re: Stolen gear

You must understand YOU are at Fault for leaving your gear.. You should also learn to put gear on the driver's side of the truck or by put it directly into the boat or truck .. Take the extra steps to put gear where you will have to walk past it before you leave. leaning a rod against a sign or tree before leaving usually results in forgetting to take it before you leave. Develope that inner feeling that (??) is not a great idea...
hawkeye9
Posted 6/7/2021 6:25 PM (#980458 - in reply to #980457)

basscaster - 6/7/2021 5:47 PM

You must understand YOU are at Fault for leaving your gear.. You should also learn to put gear on the driver's side of the truck or by put it directly into the boat or truck .. Take the extra steps to put gear where you will have to walk past it before you leave. leaning a rod against a sign or tree before leaving usually results in forgetting to take it before you leave. Develope that inner feeling that (??) is not a great idea...

Surely you understand he has already learned his lesson the hard way in this instance. Your helpful advice about leaving gear where you are bound to notice it not withstanding, I'd offer the not so humble opinion that YOUR lecturing him might be a bit over the top.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/7/2021 7:10 PM (#980461 - in reply to #980458)

No offense to the original poster, but some people are just that naive that they literally have to be told how not to have their stuff stolen, because it never crossed their mind. I was shocked when I bought my property "up North" and got to know the locals. They don't lock their doors. They don't lock their cars, and usually leave the keys in the car. They leave their gear in the boat, electronics in the boat, compartments unlocked, tackle and rods in plain sight...

For those of us who live closer to "civilization" it's unfathomable because even in the nicer neighborhoods if it ain't nailed down it WILL eventually disappear. Even folks here are stupid. In my area there's a car theft about once a week, and it's almost always because they left the car unlocked on the driveway with the keys in it, or in the garage with the door open all night.
Ranger
Posted 6/13/2021 10:07 PM (#980606 - in reply to #979973)

I sent the kid $50. No lecture, just some coin to help him out. Why don't you guys do the same?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 6/14/2021 6:37 AM (#980609 - in reply to #979973)

I believe the word you are looking for is "lost" instead of stolen.
Rob C
Posted 6/14/2021 4:54 PM (#980636 - in reply to #979973)

I will admit that I am partially at fault here for leaving my gear out where I should not have, and then absent mindedly driving away. However, I have no control over the illegal actions of others who decide to take advantage of such situations. I definetly learned my lesson and won't be repeating this mistake again.

With that said, Ranger really was kind enough to help me out and I greatly appreciate that.
sworrall
Posted 6/16/2021 10:06 PM (#980703 - in reply to #979973)

I have a rod and reel I can spare. PM me with some information and it's yours.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/18/2021 6:30 AM (#980722 - in reply to #980461)

esoxaddict - 6/7/2021 7:10 PM

No offense to the original poster, but some people are just that naive that they literally have to be told how not to have their stuff stolen, because it never crossed their mind. I was shocked when I bought my property "up North" and got to know the locals. They don't lock their doors. They don't lock their cars, and usually leave the keys in the car. They leave their gear in the boat, electronics in the boat, compartments unlocked, tackle and rods in plain sight...

For those of us who live closer to "civilization" it's unfathomable because even in the nicer neighborhoods if it ain't nailed down it WILL eventually disappear. Even folks here are stupid. In my area there's a car theft about once a week, and it's almost always because they left the car unlocked on the driveway with the keys in it, or in the garage with the door open all night.

I would argue that civilization starts where you don’t have to lock your doors and the places you do have to to are uncivilized.
Muskyrookie
Posted 6/18/2021 10:44 AM (#980732 - in reply to #980722)

Kirby Budrow - 6/18/2021 7:30 AM

esoxaddict - 6/7/2021 7:10 PM

I would argue that civilization starts where you don’t have to lock your doors and the places you do have to to are uncivilized.

^
You can't say it any better than that!!!
hawkeye9
Posted 6/22/2021 10:32 AM (#980828 - in reply to #980722)

Glad I live in small-town America where some would suggest things are quite uncivilized.

Edited by hawkeye9 6/22/2021 10:35 AM
dfkiii
Posted 6/23/2021 2:47 PM (#981852 - in reply to #980828)

hawkeye9 - 6/22/2021 10:32 AM

Glad I live in small-town America where some would suggest things are quite uncivilized.

There's plenty of "troublemakers" in small town America too"...
Ranger
Posted 6/23/2021 7:50 PM (#981853 - in reply to #981852)

Yea, well, rather than compare where is worse, why don't we all just help the kid who lost his stuff?

Many thanks Steve and Hawkeye.

If we help this kid, we can hope he will help others down the road. I bet he will. In fact I already bet $50 on it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)