Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky in Colorado?

Message Subject: Musky in Colorado?
baldeaglefisherman
Posted 4/13/2021 7:37 AM (#977979)
Subject: Musky in Colorado?

Hello all.
I have been visiting MF since I was about 15 years old (29 now).
I regrettably took a few years away from chasing muskie in my twenties.

I did have my time split between the military (Marine reserves and now Air Force reserves), work (I spent over two years working for the Department of State traveling to U.S. embassies around the world as a roofer and had the chance to visit about 50 countries in that time), and school (first finishing my undergrad online while working overseas and the last two years working full-time on MBA at the University of Pittsburgh). But, when I thought about I realized I still could have definitely made time to fish. I am trying to change this going forward.

I spent the last few months trying to land a job and it came down to Denver or Minneapolis, and as much as I wanted to move to Minnesota for the fishing, the Denver job was too good to turn down. So, this brings me to my question.

Are there some good spots to fish for muskie in the Colorado area or is it my best bet to book trips to Pineview in Utah, or somewhere else in the west? Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Rotorhead
Posted 4/13/2021 8:41 AM (#977982 - in reply to #977979)
Subject: RE: Musky in Colorado?

This is a good time to recommend you join Muskiesinc.org (MI) where you are part of a support for the muskie fishery, but you have access to their database of fish caught in the US and Canada. Out of curiosity, I checked Colorado in the MI database (the Lunge Log) and there twelve counties reporting muskies caught The database reports only reflect muskies reported caught by Muskies, Inc. members. Since there are no chapters of MI in Colorado, that would reflect the lower numbers in the database and I suspect they are much higher. That said, I Googled the subject and it appears hybred (tiger) muskies are actively stocked in Colorado reservoirs as reported by this link: https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?News... The Lunge Log shows the counties where the fish were caught and if you open individual records, you can see the specific reservoirs they were caught. So, long story short, have fun chasing your dream in Colorado!
ToddM
Posted 4/13/2021 8:49 AM (#977983 - in reply to #977979)
Subject: Re: Musky in Colorado?

When Colorado discontinued the tiger program, the M.I. chapter ceased. The club produced some International presidents. Colorado has resumed the program so as far as the M.I. database is concerned the more recent data is relevant. Know too that tigers are managed as a predator to control other populations of fish, not as a gamefish. That can mean high populations but only for as long as the fish they were meant to control need it. Colorado isn't a fan of pike and musky. I have been in northeast Colorado since last June. I have not had my boat out since September and 5 times in total and I am 3 miles from a 3000 acre lake. The fishing here doesn't interest me.

Edited by ToddM 4/13/2021 8:52 AM
true tiger tamer
Posted 4/14/2021 3:32 PM (#978031 - in reply to #977979)

Colorado has a few tiger fisheries, but not any that are kicking out a ton of fish. Pinewood has a fair population but the water level varies greatly, daily. Lower Big Creek has a few big tigers, I'm not sure on any of the other fisheries. I'd contact Bennetts Bait and tackle shop in Berthoud and talk to Bob Todd. He is a former president of the Northern Colorado Muskies Inc. Chapter, and still keeps tabs somewhat on Colorado tiger fisheries. You'd probably do better going to New Mexico and fishing Bluewater Lake. Pineview in Utah has some huge tigers and a decent population, but gets fished very hard plus has a huge amount of pleasure watercraft during the summer, and a very greedy management company that tries to squeeze everyone who visits there for every buck they can get. Good luck.
ToddM
Posted 4/14/2021 5:53 PM (#978037 - in reply to #977979)

Barr lake has been getting them too. 10hp limit I've not been on that one but at least it keeps down the heavy pleasure boating traffic the high plains lakes recieve. The high plains lakes are for irrigation and lost 80-90+ percent of their water volume by September. If your lucky the boat ramp is still useable but many are not.

Edited by ToddM 4/14/2021 5:55 PM
baldeaglefisherman
Posted 4/15/2021 9:03 AM (#978050 - in reply to #978037)

Sounds like I should get into fly fishing or skiing.
ToddM
Posted 4/15/2021 9:12 AM (#978051 - in reply to #978050)

baldeaglefisherman - 4/15/2021 9:03 AM

Sounds like I should get into fly fishing or skiing.

My son went up to a lake well into the mountains and he seen quite a few musky fisherman on the one lake he was on. He fished for trout and caught a small one. The plains lakes are managed for walleye, smb, crappie,.wipers and catfish. Crappie are nice average size and everything else is just average. The plains lakes have very large populations of carp. Not much for structure and people love to pleasure boat. You can flat forget about trying to fish the front range lakes. Pick your busiest lake and that's all of them. 71 days above 90 degrees in 2020. Not for me. Colorado will also turn your nose into a booger factory.

Edited by ToddM 4/15/2021 9:13 AM
chuckski
Posted 4/19/2021 5:59 PM (#978240 - in reply to #977979)

I'm not native to this state but been here 29 years and have spent a lot of time fishing the Wisconsin, Minnesota areas plus Canada. (My dad was Wisconsin guy and my mom was born in Minnesota Bena/Deer River)
I used to belong to the old Muskie Inc club and fished a lot of places around the state.
A few thing to consider.
1.Colorado is a Trout state ! (first and foremost)
2. There are places in metro Denver where you can catch 50 -60 Walleyes a day. 1 or two of them will be over the 18" min and with a shot at a 14-16 pounder. (all these are released ) and caught by guide clients or guy's who know there stuff.
3. Some Muskie sized Pike on some mountain Lakes but you'll get chased off by afternoon thunder storms or high winds.
Some limited Tiger fishing on some mountain lakes but it may take you all summer to catch a fish.
Like Todd said lots of people and out on the plains the lakes are for irrigation and will be sucked dry by the fall.
Barr lake is five miles from my house and is beautiful nature area with bold Eagles, in the early 90's it gave up 42" Tiger (released) and at the time it could it been state record. and few years after that we had a Muskie Inc guy catch 34" on a club outing. Good place to catch Walleyes and Wipers and the Walleyes only have to be 15". The bad news is a lot of fish get sucked out during irrigation is not uncommon to be drawn down to dead pool. I no longer have a boat or my 4x4 so I don't get out like I used to. I take a trip to Minnesota or Wisconsin most every year. years ago I got to fish on Minnetonka and caught a 50" first time out . Yes I wanted to move there!
jtmenard
Posted 4/21/2021 12:14 PM (#979285 - in reply to #977979)

Lake Estes right in Estes Park has signs indicating tiger muskies. Pretty sweet place hike, hang out, and maybe catch one.
chuckski
Posted 4/22/2021 9:51 PM (#979320 - in reply to #977979)

My sister has a cabin 4 miles out of Estes on the Big Thomson River a lot of the just stocked Muskies got sucked out of the lake during the flood of 2013my sister took a picture of one in front of there cabin in 2014. have not fished there in the last 2 years but with things getting back to normal ill give it a shot. In my case all be fishing from shore.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)