Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring is in the air and soon it will be time..

Message Subject: Spring is in the air and soon it will be time..
ToddM
Posted 3/25/2021 10:38 AM (#977372)
Subject: Spring is in the air and soon it will be time..

...for boat ramp follies. I took this picture, this was the first of the two times they dumped it on the pavement. You could hear them screaming pretty far away.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(FB_IMG_1616685729616.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FB_IMG_1616685729616.jpg (20KB - 302 downloads)
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/25/2021 10:47 AM (#977374 - in reply to #977372)
Subject: Re: Spring is in the air and soon it will be time..

It'll buff..
kdawg
Posted 3/25/2021 10:47 AM (#977375 - in reply to #977372)
Subject: RE: Spring is in the air and soon it will be time..

Besides the laughs at the ramps, hopefully an earlier than normal ice out for northern wis. Kdawg
North of 8
Posted 3/25/2021 11:14 AM (#977378 - in reply to #977375)
Subject: RE: Spring is in the air and soon it will be time..

kdawg - 3/25/2021 10:47 AM

Besides the laughs at the ramps, hopefully an earlier than normal ice out for northern wis. Kdawg

Just talked to the guy on our chain who reports a variety of data to the WI DNR on water quality, clarity and ice on/off as a volunteer. He said from what he is observing, this could be one of the earliest ice outs in a long time. (Oneida County, WI) Lot of variables, wind, rain, etc.. Temperatures are just one part of the equation.
Shroomskie
Posted 3/25/2021 5:20 PM (#977390 - in reply to #977372)

I gauge Oneida County from the Save More pond. It's always 2 weeks after that goes out. I'm guessing 18 days, tops
OH Musky
Posted 3/26/2021 8:25 AM (#977404 - in reply to #977372)

The ramp follies have already started here in southern Ohio. First nice day and all the idiots get their boats out without checking anything until they are sitting sideways on the ramp. Smdh.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/26/2021 8:39 AM (#977405 - in reply to #977404)

OH Musky - 3/26/2021 8:25 AM

The ramp follies have already started here in southern Ohio. First nice day and all the idiots get their boats out without checking anything until they are sitting sideways on the ramp. Smdh.

Sure don't miss the Wellman ramp at CC
ToddM
Posted 3/26/2021 9:51 AM (#977411 - in reply to #977372)

They should build bleachers at the silver lake boat ramp in Kenosha county. There isn't overflow parking so if the lot is full you wait for a spot to open. Early morning fisherman give way to awaiting pleasure boaters. It's a race to launch to get the one open spot. I have seen many instances, two that I remember most, I was fishing with blast from the past JohnMD, we were leaving. I jumped out to get the truck. Next to us a guy in that huge hurry to get that open parking spot. He hooks his dock rope with the trailer I am running off the dock as one of the poles starts bending by the time I got to the end it snaps with the sound of a rifle shot sending his boat crashing hard into the rip rap. Another time they could not get their pleasure boat on the trailer, frustrated he person driving thought ramming speed would do the trick. When we left the boat was tied to the dock.and they were trying to repair the bent trailer.
North of 8
Posted 3/26/2021 10:12 AM (#977415 - in reply to #977372)

I have volunteered to do "Clean Water/Clean Boat" at the landing on our lake. Worst job I have ever seen of putting a boat in was by a guy who had the name of his musky guiding service on the side of his truck. It was during a bad drought and the concrete logs at the landing were exposed and sand and gravel on edges had been washed away. He drove the trailer off them a couple times, got frustrated and tried again, only that time he got the boat parallel with the shore and the trailer frame was scraping the logs. Made a heck of a screeching noise.

I figured it was Karma. He was there when I arrived to relieve a couple in their mid 70s. They said they had no more than said hi when he started ranting that he didn't have time for no blanking bull**** about clean water. They just backed away. The camera on my phone had been damaged when I dropped it in my boat but I held it up and acted like I was taking photos, making sure I got his truck and business name. He finally got so ticked, he got out of the truck and had his buddy launch his nice Ranger boat. Really wish my phone camera would have been working.

Edited by North of 8 3/26/2021 10:15 AM
OH Musky
Posted 3/26/2021 12:17 PM (#977418 - in reply to #977405)

CincySkeez - 3/26/2021 9:39 AM

OH Musky - 3/26/2021 8:25 AM

Sure don't miss the Wellman ramp at CC

Yeah, that one is a mess but the north pool wasn’t much better last year with all the new boaters out. Between not knowing how to launch or load and how to park, it was a complete debacle. The weekdays were like the weekends in 2019, and the weekends, well, it wasn’t worth going out.
RLSea
Posted 3/26/2021 8:45 PM (#977427 - in reply to #977372)

The most memorable launch I saw was on a Saturday morning at a No. Illinois lake that usually has a long line on Saturdays. We had just launched and started idling off when it started. Three guys trying to launch a 14' boat finally got it down to water's edge and stopped. Curious, we paused to watch in case they needed help. They proceeded to unload the boat of equipment, including the motor, and carry the stuff to a nearby dock. One of the guys in line tried to give them some friendly advice but they were having none of it. After the boat was emptied, they lifted the boat off the trailer, set it in the water, and pulled it over to the dock. Then they moved the car and trailer off the ramp. By this time there were some irate people in line giving not-so-friendly advice. They loaded their stuff back in the boat, put the motor on, and went on their way. Normally we try to help people if they are obviously newbies. But some people are beyond help. I dunno, maybe they were practicing for a Canadian portage.
miket55
Posted 3/26/2021 10:21 PM (#977429 - in reply to #977372)

One fine spring morning, I pulled into the parking lot at the boat ramp of choice. There was one guy ahead of me getting his boat ready to launch, and a short time later another guy shows up and gets in line.. While we're readying our rigs to launch, Ol' Bubba pulls in, drives by all of us, and backs down the ramp. He then proceeds to undo straps, put in the drain plug, and remove the motor toter. He then loads up the rods, reels, tackle box cooler, bait bucket, mom, the kids, the grandkids, and grandma, and splashes the boat. He then grinds on the starter for several minutes trying to get the motor started. Realizing said motor won't start, he unloads mom, the kids, the grandkids, and grandma...pulls the boat out far enough to get to the motor, uncowls the engine, and starts "troubleshooting".

After watching this guy fool with the motor for about 20 minutes, the guy ahead of me asks Bubba if he could pull his boat out so we could launch, and the guy went off.. At that point I said "screw it", and went to another ramp a couple miles away.

As I was headed up the lake, I motored past the original ramp.. Ol' Bubba was still screwing with the engine trying vainly to get it going..

Another day, at the local state park ramp, while witnessing all manner of launching fiascos, a park ranger showed up. We engaged in the pleasantries, and after a while I asked if it would be possible to set up a lawn chair, and drag a cooler of adult beverages down to enjoy the show.. As much as he liked the idea, he was required to inform me of the park's "no alcohol" policy..

Edited by miket55 3/26/2021 10:38 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(0cee.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0cee.jpg (35KB - 277 downloads)
ToddM
Posted 3/27/2021 12:40 AM (#977432 - in reply to #977372)

This one happened to me leaving little arb about 15 years ago. I thought I would be nice and let this elderly gentleman around me who was waiting in line to load. He backs down loads the boat and finishes right there blocking the ramp. Another time I was with my dad in line at braidwood. We see this guy getting his boat all ready while his partner is sitting in the truck doing nothing. We were thinking what an a-hole he was. Then he gets out on crutches. That one's on us.

Edited by ToddM 3/27/2021 12:42 AM
raftman
Posted 3/27/2021 5:38 AM (#977434 - in reply to #977432)

I was next in line at a Minnetonka ramp years ago and watched a decked out lady in heals spend 5 minutes trying to back a 30 footer in with 3 clueless dudes just sitting in the boat. It was a 45 minute wait to get to that point so I had enough and just ended up backing it in for her.
Ranger
Posted 4/17/2021 5:15 PM (#978183 - in reply to #977372)

Three drunk Yoopers can't remove the 12' aluminum boat plus a 10hp motor from the back of their pickup. That good guy is jammed between the wheel wells. They back the truck till the rear wheels are just in the water and then one guy ties the anchor rope from the far post on the dock to the transom of the boat. The motor, it will turn out, is locked in the down position. With a "Yahoo, eh?!" the driver hits the gas and sure enough the boat jerks out of the truck, way in the air, and lands on the concrete landing. Not one inch of the boat in the water. The first thing to hit the pavement was the skeg/prop of the motor. The boys start laughing like hell, crack beers, toast to their misadventure, pack back up and leave.

Funniest thing I saw all that year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)