Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Who's fished with a cane pole?

Message Subject: Who's fished with a cane pole?
mm3
Posted 3/8/2021 8:20 PM (#976644)
Subject: Who's fished with a cane pole?

Maybe some of you younger folks never even heard of it. I was just remembering, my grandfather had a resort in WI and would take guests out crappie fishing on the pontoon at night. Always used the cane poles because he didn't want a bunch of people close together casting.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/8/2021 9:02 PM (#976646 - in reply to #976644)
Subject: Re: Who's fished with a cane pole?

I picked one up a couple years ago. It’s super effective for putting bait right in a weed pocket and such. And it’s just kind of fun to strip down angling to it’s basic form.
miket55
Posted 3/8/2021 9:51 PM (#976649 - in reply to #976644)

With a half dozen siblings it was a bit tough for Dad to keep us geared up as kids, so cane poles were the thing. We all had a blast, caught fish, and eventually we "graduated" to the trusty Zebco 33, on a 5-1/2' rod.

A couple years ago, I brought a couple of cane poles up to Oneida Co., and anchored at the edge of a dropoff in front of the cabin for an afternoon. We had a blast reliving the good ol' days.

Edited by miket55 3/8/2021 9:54 PM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 3/8/2021 10:33 PM (#976657 - in reply to #976644)

Raised with them. I still will troll for Pike once in a while. Get some pretty interesting looks.
happy hooker
Posted 3/9/2021 12:21 AM (#976659 - in reply to #976657)

a lot,,, I had the 3 section kind,,My grandpa had a 22ft one piece that he would lash down over the roof of car from the back bumper to the front bumper arched.
carved bobbers out of whiskey bottle corks with the stems of duck feathers folded in two has line stoppers whittled the cork so that they balanced perfectly with a hook and sinker,,when metro sunnys actually were 1/2-3/4 pound average.
North of 8
Posted 3/9/2021 7:14 AM (#976662 - in reply to #976659)

Oh yeah. Bullheads on the Wis River, crappie and gills near cover in N. Wisconsin. As a kid, my uncle had a couple heavy duty ones we would put a good sized minnow on and set them off the end of his dock. Picked up pike and bass on those.

Some of the rafts on the Wolf River still use real cane poles during the spring walleye run, up to a dozen at a time, while most have gone to fiberglass "cane" poles. When not in use, you will see a big bundle of cane poles lashed to the roof the the rafts.
talmooner
Posted 3/9/2021 8:34 AM (#976671 - in reply to #976644)

You bet. Learned to fish with a cane pole (gills and catfish from shore, Fox Lake IL) from my neighbor as my Dad was not a fisherman. Had both one piece and three piece cane poles that were bought at Homan's Sporting Goods in Fox Lake or the Ace Hardware in town. Still remember the one-piece ones being stood outside at the Ace in a barrel. Some of those long ones had 2" or larger diameter at the butt. And yes to the handmade cork bobber. So many great memories catching gills, catfish and whatever else would bite a nitecrawler or redworm. Thanks for the memory prompt.
Talmooner
Chemi
Posted 3/9/2021 3:20 PM (#976690 - in reply to #976644)

This thread reminds me of one of my oldie favorites. Not much of a C&W fan at all, but always liked Marshal Tucker Band, especially this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-B84IEMARA

pstrombe
Posted 3/9/2021 4:19 PM (#976693 - in reply to #976644)

My first fish was on a little cane pole at age 5. Fast forward to 1998 and I purchased a pair of Uncle Bucks Crappie Poles. very effective here on the river for fishing deadfalls. In the past we would go to lake Wisconsin - no problem fishing behind the crowd. they were casting near the docks but we would slide in and swing / drop the minnow right next to the post or between the boat lift etc. Nice way to put a few in the box. Last time I saw one in use for game fish was on the Wolf River Backwaters. Guy and his wife were 'skittering Pork Frogs' across the pads near Jennie Slough.
North of 8
Posted 3/9/2021 4:24 PM (#976694 - in reply to #976693)

pstrombe - 3/9/2021 4:19 PM

My first fish was on a little cane pole at age 5. Fast forward to 1998 and I purchased a pair of Uncle Bucks Crappie Poles. very effective here on the river for fishing deadfalls. In the past we would go to lake Wisconsin - no problem fishing behind the crowd. they were casting near the docks but we would slide in and swing / drop the minnow right next to the post or between the boat lift etc. Nice way to put a few in the box. Last time I saw one in use for game fish was on the Wolf River Backwaters. Guy and his wife were 'skittering Pork Frogs' across the pads near Jennie Slough.

During the spring walleye run, some of the rafts on the Wolf will still use cane poles to put their baits out in the current. Little white rag tied to the tip to tell them that they have a fish.
TCESOX
Posted 3/9/2021 4:57 PM (#976696 - in reply to #976644)

When I was 3 and 4 years old, living in Oklahoma, my dad would take me to a park on the edge of town that had a put and take trout pond, and we would catch trout with our cane poles. We then moved to Iowa, and had a creek, two houses down, at the end of the block, and as a kindergartner and first grader, I would take my cane pole down there, tie on a piece of bacon, and catch crawdads. Haven't used a cane pole since then, but I saw that pole in my folks basement last time I was down there.
jdsplasher
Posted 3/10/2021 5:59 AM (#976713 - in reply to #976696)

Cain poles do bring back memories. Dad and I used to wade the kettle Moraine lakes using Cain poles, dropping red worms, night crawler, and crab tails in pockets of pads for Panies.

I remember fishing youth fishing contests at the County Parks in Milwaukee. If you didn’t have a pole, one would be provided. Somewhere Mid Day, you would here a uproar of yells and screams as a Cain pole was just Launched from a bank that was unattended;). A parks guy, would get in a rowboat to retrieve the Cain pole, as most times it would float up. Usually a 10-15 lb Carp was attached to the end of line;). The things that stick in your mind for years ...

JD 

wavridr
Posted 3/10/2021 7:15 AM (#976716 - in reply to #976713)

Haven't used them in ages but still have 3 fiberglass telescoping poles.  Should maybe dust them off.

Edited by wavridr 3/10/2021 7:32 AM
horsehunter
Posted 3/10/2021 8:02 AM (#976723 - in reply to #976644)

I don't actually remember fishing with a cane pole but when I was a kid you could buy a hand line which consisted of about 25 feet of line wrapped around a wooden form a float and a hook for 20 cents. I remember the Sunday School buying a bunch of us one and taking us perch fishing on Lake Simcoe. I vividly remember stopping at a stream on the way and the adults netting minnows and helping us cut gads for poles. We all brought home a feed of cleaned fish. It is my earliest fishing memory I was probably 6 or 7.
Smell_Esox
Posted 3/11/2021 10:02 AM (#976762 - in reply to #976644)

Sure did. Fished sunfish on the Grand River and bayous around Grand Haven, MI, my hometown. My dad, grandpa, brother and myself crammed into a 12 foot aluminum boat with 15 hp outboard. Caught a lot of sunnies that way back in the day. Graduated to a Zebco 202 and rod then a yellow 9' Eagle Claw with a Mitchell 300 reel later.
chuckski
Posted 3/19/2021 2:49 PM (#977159 - in reply to #976644)

First trip to northern Wisconsin (not counting a trip as a 2 year old ) fishing with my dad and grandpa on Sugar Camp Creek in a row boat with a cane pole and some kind of bait and not watching my bobber the next thing you know my bobber and half
my pole is under water and dad yells "you got one " I stand up jerk the rod back and there's two feet of Northern swinging thru the air like on a giant pendulum hits the side of the boat twice and then comes to rest on top of the gunwale for a second falls back in the river and is gone. Cried reel hard was miserable for the rest of the week because I could not catch it's twin.
four or five years later I bought a fiberglass pool cue rod for sixteen dollars and caught it's twin on a Bobbie bait. (see first Muskie rod post) The next year caught my first Muskie 40" 16 pounds now I own millions of lures too many poles and bunch of fishing books and DVD's but am a completely normal guy!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/21/2021 4:42 PM (#977213 - in reply to #976644)
Subject: RE: Who's fished with a cane pole?

You bet! First fishing pole, and I learned from both of my grandpa's. Grandpa Kidd liked catching northern pike in the Lemonweir River with a red/white daredevil..I still have three cane poles today + some long crappie poles. I taught my grandchildren (Xavier & Jazmyn) to fish with a cane pole for white bass with small crawdads they caught for bait. They had a blast, I was like a one armed paper hanger, unhooking and rebaiting for about the first 20 fish. Then they had to do it themselves. Great memories. Some of you may remember Jazmyn, she fished the Petenwell Muskie Challenge with me a few times. She's 25 and lives in Denver now, but still loves the outdoors. Xavier is now 21, he was with me at the Wausau Muskie Bash on Saturday and helped out at the Muskies Matter, Inc booth..."I'm all down for that, Papa".

Is there anywhere that you can buy a cane pole today?

Have fun!
Al
sworrall
Posted 3/21/2021 7:02 PM (#977214 - in reply to #976644)

Spent a lot of time holding on to a cane pole when I was a kid. I use Vexan crappie rods 12' long now, basically a very fancy cane pole.
TCESOX
Posted 3/22/2021 9:25 PM (#977260 - in reply to #976644)

I was down at my folks place back in February, for Christmas 2.0, since we couldn't do it back in December, and had been down in the basement and noticed my old cane pole, as mentioned in my post above. Well, I was down there again this weekend to watch the NCAA wrestling tournament with the family(it's a family tradition, as we have attended about 80% of them since 1982). Since this thread had come about, I thought I would go down to the basement and pull out the old cane pole, maybe take it home with me, as it was just another piece of crap in the folks basement.

Little did I know I would stumble on an archive of relics documenting my start in this crazy journey of fishing. Not only was the cane pole there, still wrapped with the line last used over a half century ago, but there was the Zebco 77, that my dad bought me at a garage sale in 1970(as best as we could figure). Also there, was the Zebco 404, that I bought with with money selling night crawlers out of the front yard, when I felt I needed to "upgrade" from the little 77. That was probably about 1972. Somewhere about that same time, I had been up to Minnesota, visiting my grandparents, and went fishing with grandpa. I remember he wasn't all that impressed with my 404, and gave me one of his bait casters, telling me I should learn how to use a bait caster if I was going to be a real fisherman. It was a Shakespeare Marhoff 1964 model GE. Took me a couple years to learn how to use it, especially since I only used it when I went fishing with grandpa. Had this super cool leather box that it came in. Almost seemed too special to use everyday. Once I discovered spinning gear, I never used it again, I could cast so much farther with my spinning gear.

I want to thank the original poster, for starting this thread, because I never would have gone digging around in my folks basement, if not for the thread. When I brought this stuff up from the basement, it sparked several hours of reminiscing and story telling, over three days, with my soon to be 87 year old dad. Dad is still sharp and doesn't even look close to his age, but at that age, anything can happen, and you never know how much time you have left together. We talked about stuff that may not have ever come up, otherwise, and I will always cherish and remember the things we shared this last weekend. I need to make more of a point of having those kind of conversations with my folks, at this stage of life, and I recommend that any of you that have elderly relatives, to do the same. I don't want to be thinking someday, "I wish I had said....". Thanks again, to the original poster.

Edited by TCESOX 3/22/2021 9:34 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(20210322_184927.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20210322_184927.jpg (222KB - 315 downloads)
mikie
Posted 3/23/2021 7:48 AM (#977272 - in reply to #976644)

I still have memory of fishing with my grandpa for trouts near Silver Springs, Fl. using a cane pole and corn.
I had a bad experience with cane pole fishermen a couple years ago on Mille Lacs. I posted abt it here somewhere. I raised a real nice muskie out of a reedbed in my first hour. I came back and got her up again, closer to the boat rthis time. When I went back an hour later, a Lund with guys who were cane pole trolling for pikes had her on.
The dude would try to getthe fish near enough to net, but the size of the pole would only let it get so far then it would run again. Finally they got it netted, and pretty well dropped it in the boat and well...
I muttered to the fish it would have been better off with my bait. m

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/VLbMTggy/DSCN0980.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RCJL5vCb/DSCN0982.jpg[/img]
Quest4Esox
Posted 4/11/2021 10:58 PM (#977935 - in reply to #976644)

When I was 3 years old I caught my first fish, a big redbreast sunfish, with a cane pole, bobber, and nightcrawler. It grows in the wild in the Southeast. My father cut his own from the bamboo thickets on our property or just along the side of the road.

I, too, "graduated" to the old Zebco 33 some time in early elementary school.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)