Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hybrid musky

Message Subject: Hybrid musky
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/9/2020 2:50 PM (#972527)
Subject: Hybrid musky

It is said that all forms of hybrids do not spawn. If this is the case , do they still go through the motions as if they do? Meaning, do they still follow the same patterns? Or do they just roam and eat and rest? Do they even know they can't spawn? Does that lead them to hang out in different areas from those that do?

Just some curiosity that I've had thanks
Mulldaddy
Posted 12/9/2020 4:22 PM (#972529 - in reply to #972527)
Subject: RE: Hybrid musky

I am not sure of their behavior during the spawn, but hybrids are sterile so they cannot reproduce.
TCESOX
Posted 12/9/2020 4:54 PM (#972530 - in reply to #972527)
Subject: Re: Hybrid musky

Can't speak specifically to muskies, but many sterile hybrid organisms still try to breed, they just don't have viable gametes. And every now and then you get the freak of nature, that does have a viable gamete, and will successfully breed.
true tiger tamer
Posted 12/10/2020 12:16 PM (#972535 - in reply to #972527)

I fish for tigers a lot, and it is very uncommon to see them "pair up" or form small groups like purebreds do.
bbeaupre
Posted 12/11/2020 10:01 AM (#972553 - in reply to #972527)
Subject: RE: Hybrid musky

I fish the bay of GB a lot and have caught many tigers out of that system. The interesting this I have noticed is we seem to get more tigers mixed in with the pike spawn than the musky spawn. I believe they go through more pike like spawning motions, show up at ice out and move deeper when the water hits mid 50. I have caught a few during the early musky season but see more up shallow earlier. I have seen them paired up even, sometimes with pike, once 2 tigers. They don't know they are sterile but I am sure there are hormonal differences that occur that may influence their behavior vs egg or milt bearing fish.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 12/17/2020 7:21 AM (#972722 - in reply to #972527)

Hybrids themselves cannot reproduce, but a small percentage of backcrosses with male muskies can hatch. Survival is rare, but if you see a backcross hybrid, you'll know it, I have a pic somewhere and if I can find it, I'll post it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)