Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies in trout streams?

Message Subject: Muskies in trout streams?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/8/2020 9:37 AM (#972491)
Subject: Muskies in trout streams?

During the spring and summer I would consistently see a pair of tigers, one being mid to high 40s (possibly 50) and the other being mid 30s. In any case, these fish would sit in a bowl where a very cold and semi deep trout stream flows into the river, occasionally I had seen them go up into the stream also! Anyone else seen muskies in similar places?
true tiger tamer
Posted 12/8/2020 5:05 PM (#972502 - in reply to #972491)
Subject: Re: Muskies in trout streams?

A feeder creek that hold trout that runs into a muskie river I fish, holds muskies in the heat of summer as the water is much cooler. Topwaters a little before daylight or dusk and a little later have produced a fair amount of muskies for me with fish up to 51 inches. So yes I've seen it too. A fifty or bigger tiger is a rare animal, I've been exceptionally lucky in having caught 2 wade fishing, both on tailspin topwaters, 50 and 52.5. Good luck.
BruceKY
Posted 12/9/2020 11:56 AM (#972523 - in reply to #972491)
Subject: RE: Muskies in trout streams?

Creak mouths on rivers are probably your #1 spot followed by dams. A cold water stream feeding a warmer river in spring & summer would be stacking the deck in your favor. I've had luck with gliders and long arm spinnerbaits. I don't think the lure is the trigger as much as having it in the right location. A top water would be good for avoiding snags that are so common in shallow rivers with rocks and laydown cover. It would depend on the size of the creek how far up the muskies would go. Its well known they move up in spring to spawn when the conditions are right.
Resume
Posted 12/10/2020 9:00 PM (#972545 - in reply to #972491)

I saw a 40+ incher while trout fishing on the Namekagon once, halfway between the 63 bridge and Lake Hayward. He splooshed into a deeper pool, creating quite the racket.

Edited by Resume 12/10/2020 9:01 PM
KentuckyMuskie
Posted 12/13/2020 9:57 PM (#972613 - in reply to #972491)

Yes, I musky fish pretty often in a stream that is stocked periodically with trout. I've caught two of my top five fish out of that trout stream. A buddy of mine bought several trout patterned lures to try out in that stream, but, he never had much luck with them. I've seen muskies holding in the deeper holes of that stream with my Humminbird Helix. Bondy baits work well in that situation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)