Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone ever get pain on the inside of their elbow from casting?

Message Subject: Anyone ever get pain on the inside of their elbow from casting?
jase2
Posted 11/30/2020 5:43 AM (#969290)
Subject: Anyone ever get pain on the inside of their elbow from casting?

As I get older this has been happening to me a great deal Right on the inside of the inside (pinky side) of the elbow. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

What do you do about it? I especially notice when I fish for several days straight.

My buddy uses Blue Emu. Any other good remedies?

Thanks.
DWags
Posted 11/30/2020 8:17 AM (#969294 - in reply to #969290)
Subject: Re: Anyone ever get pain on the inside of their elbow from casting?

Weed is all you need
North of 8
Posted 11/30/2020 9:59 AM (#970295 - in reply to #969294)

If it is an inflamed tendon, there are some braces/wraps that provide relief. After not being able to do weight training because the YMCA was closed earlier this year, I developed some tendonitis in my forearm/elbow area when I went back to my exercise routine. Used a wrap/brace for a few weeks until the soreness went away and it provided a lot of relief.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 11/30/2020 10:07 AM (#970296 - in reply to #970295)

NO8 has it right. Sounds like tendonitis. I had that when I first started getting into burning big blades. Eating healthy, weight training, and possibly a wrap or brace are the cures for your case, which sounds mild if it doesn't happen until a few days into a big trip. Mine went away after a year or two of working through it.
JoeP
Posted 11/30/2020 11:48 AM (#970297 - in reply to #969290)
Subject: RE: Anyone ever get pain on the inside of their elbow from casting?

Valeo makes an adjustable tennis elbow support with a Velcro strap that kept me going for a long time. Bought it at the Musky Shop. Also, finger and wrist stretches helped. JoeP
esoxaddict
Posted 11/30/2020 12:13 PM (#970299 - in reply to #970297)

I've been wondering if there's anybody who DOESN'T have elbow pain from muskie fishing.

As I've recommended a bazillion times, buy a couple left handed reels and learn to fish "the other way".

Switching back and forth is really clumsy at first, but after a while (a few days) it's like riding a bicycle. When something starts hurting, I just grab another combo with the reel handle on the opposite side and keep on casting.

My wife tried the lefty thing and just couldn't get it, so she took a different route: She went to see a trainer with a Musky Hunter video in tow. They watched the video, and said trainer gave her a whole routine of stretches and exercises to target the muscle groups we use during muskie fishing.
bbeaupre
Posted 11/30/2020 1:47 PM (#970301 - in reply to #969290)

For inflammation from fishing start taking naproxen a day or two prior to the trip, taking 2 on days pain is worse. ibuprofen will help inflammation faster but naproxen is normally more effective but takes a few days.

This is what I did before I got back into working out. I bought a set of the hand squeeze things and added them to my workouts. I don't have issues anymore, well unless aI toss a pounder for a few days, not sure anything can help that.

Edited by bbeaupre 11/30/2020 1:55 PM
medy
Posted 11/30/2020 8:01 PM (#971319 - in reply to #969290)

Medial Epicondylitis, commonly golfer's elbow. This is where the forearm/wrist flexor tendons attach as the common flexor tendon. It will be exacerbated by things such as burning large blades where you have to crank harder.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 12/2/2020 12:52 AM (#971354 - in reply to #969290)

Yep
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/2/2020 1:25 AM (#971355 - in reply to #971354)

I don't know how you are casting. if you are casting thumb up rotate your hand so it points your thumb towards the inside. Its been my first year fishing for ski's and rotating between the 2 has kept my elbow good. Try that out and see if it helps.
Fishysam
Posted 12/2/2020 8:22 AM (#971359 - in reply to #969290)

While driving to the lake spend the last 10-15 stretching your fingers, wrists, elbows.
Ranger
Posted 12/5/2020 1:33 PM (#971432 - in reply to #969290)

I'm with the rookie. Rotate your reel 90* toward the center of your body between the start and end of your cast. This is a good idea anyway if you have a baitcaster with a spool bearing (or worm gear bearing) on only one side. It's easier on the reel, and reduces risk of backlash, because it reduces left/right stress variation as the spool spins like crazy casting heavy baits. Word.
cyberfish
Posted 12/6/2020 8:22 PM (#971458 - in reply to #969290)

I plan on getting Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) during the off-season. Your blood is drawn and platelets are extracted.
Here's an excerpt from WebMD on the procedure, which I hope is correct, as I did a cortisone shot to finish the season:

...And they kept getting better over the next year. By this time, PRP-treated patients reported a 64% improvement in pain and an 84% improvement in disability. Corticosteroid-treated patients reported a 24% improvement in pain and a 17% improvement in disability.

Moreover, only three of the 51 patients in the PRP group went on to get tennis-elbow surgery, and only two went back for a corticosteroid shot. Among the 49 patients in the corticosteroid group, six went on to surgery, six went back for PRP treatment, and one returned for another corticosteroid shot.
kdebell
Posted 12/7/2020 9:23 AM (#971464 - in reply to #969290)

The key is to start wearing the brace/wrap before you start feeling the pain. I had this a couple of years ago and it only helped if I put it on when I started the day.
Yep
Posted 12/13/2020 11:09 AM (#972594 - in reply to #969290)

Golfers Elbow
Esox Chaos
Posted 12/17/2020 8:05 AM (#972724 - in reply to #969290)

I messed up my left elbow, arm real bad working out in the summer. It gets to about 90% and then something will aggravate it! It's been a pita to deal with for over 6 months now!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)