Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Big bass swimbaits for musky?

Message Subject: Big bass swimbaits for musky?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 10/22/2020 5:04 PM (#968321)
Subject: Big bass swimbaits for musky?

Anyone tried the bigger soft plastic bass swimbaits for musky? Im still failing to catch a tiger, and this is always my incentive to buy more. Ive heard of people using the keitechs, but what about stuff like the working class 0 citizen, and the scottsboro tackle swimbaits, and basically any bigger swimbaits (mostly on owner beast swimbait hooks) but tell me about any of your swimbaiting go to's for musky even if they use jigheads, a dude just needs info
Fishysam
Posted 10/22/2020 7:11 PM (#968334 - in reply to #968321)
Subject: Re: Big bass swimbaits for musky?

I'll use a 4.8/5.8 size as a trailer for a spinnerbait or jig. But I'm not diving deep into tigers.

But there are much cheaper options than keitechs, look up lunker city baits https://lunkercity.com/ 6" shaker is great for the price
MNFisherman
Posted 10/22/2020 7:18 PM (#968335 - in reply to #968334)

Check out Oliver Ngy he runs a YouTube channel called “Big Bass Dreams” he uses big bass swimbait for Muskies all the time and they seem to work great.
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 10/22/2020 8:49 PM (#968336 - in reply to #968334)

May i ask, what kind of jigs do you like for musky?
jdsplasher
Posted 10/23/2020 5:59 AM (#968340 - in reply to #968336)

PA Tigers

Just go to basement baits, page 2, Title, Creature Spins. Steve has several links to his article on Creature jig fishing for Musky. Few pics on Jig styles. Swimmer heads, Stand up heads, and Pyramids.

Been pouring up many Creatures lately. Fall is a great time for jig/Creature. Creature Spins, Frogs, and the Paddle tails R working best right Now.

JD 

Masqui-ninja
Posted 10/25/2020 3:42 PM (#968395 - in reply to #968336)

Pa Tigers n trout - 10/22/2020 8:49 PM

May i ask, what kind of jigs do you like for musky?

For a 7.8 Keitech or similar, I like a 1-1/2 oz Ozzie's jig (available through Thorne Bros.) This jig also allows for an easy stinger hook or underspin addition.

Don't forget about swimbaits like the Shadzilla, Shadzilla Jr. or Chaos Posseidon. Muskies don't seem to mind a couple of treble hooks, and those ulta-realistic finishes the bass guys pay up for may not be necessary.
monsterlures
Posted 10/26/2020 6:46 AM (#968399 - in reply to #968321)

Definitly buy some mend it if you going with the doft plastic bass swimbaits.

The Euro pike guys that fish those lure finde that tbe plastic is very easy for sharp esox teeth to tear appart when compared to the purpose built pike/muskie swimbaits.
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/26/2020 7:39 AM (#968402 - in reply to #968321)

We sell a lot of bass swimbaits. We have some on our liquidation page on eBay right now too. About 1000 or more lures going up over the next 6 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bass2musky/m.html?_trksid=p3692
joh10891
Posted 10/26/2020 8:38 AM (#968406 - in reply to #968321)
Subject: RE: Big bass swimbaits for musky?

Not a soft plastic like you asked about, but a bass swimbait worth mentioning- bull shads (by Mike Bucca). I've heard of people doing pretty well for tigers on them and not a very conventional muskie bait, so might be worth looking into.
Ryan Nafe
Posted 11/9/2020 2:05 PM (#968773 - in reply to #968321)

One thing I’ve been considering is using bluegill-type bass swimbaits, like the Jackal Gantarel for example, to target pike and musky in the northern waters where panfish are a large part of the forage base.

One of the more successful lures of this type that I’ve used to catch big bass (which means anything at or over about 5lbs. up here in Wisconsin) is a Livetarget Bluegill wakebait. It’s the larger model, and I’ve had very little success with it in dirty water (either algae or mud/silt/tannin stained) but on very clear lakes it has been pretty consistent in producing big fish. No pike on it yet but it leads me to believe that a big bluegill swimbait would possibly be a productive option on clear lakes for the toothy creatures.
Muskyrookie
Posted 11/9/2020 11:47 PM (#968780 - in reply to #968773)

I've been tossing the 6.8 and 7.8 keitechs this year. I haven't even seen a fish follow them but they look good when they swim and cast pretty nice. I have been using them on 3/4 and 1oz jig heads ( strike king and vmc) and also on gamakatsu beast 12/0 swimbait hooks, and vmc 11/0 weighted underspin hooks. With the jig heads they have good size hooks but if they bite from behind it'll be iffy if they get it or just bite the tail off but the other hooks cover alot more area (see them and you'll know what I mean) anything other than a nip at the tail and they will taste metal. I've also used some bass pro shop 6"ers with those jig heads and they all work just fine functionally. Another option is made by river to sea dwalker. I got the 100 and 120 size this year for bass swim jigs. They have a full fish with head and eyes. I would say to look for jig heads with a stout big hooks not the kind they sell at bait shops cheap. Those usually have weak wire hooks that will bend if you sneeze on them. The good ones will be pricey but what isn't with this fish? These are some options that might help ya out.

Have you been out lately? Nearly 2 straight weeks of 60s and 70s. With blue bird skies. The water is nice and cool though. I've been out a half dozen times and seen 1 bass and a couple hundred minnows. Not anything else going on except a few trout from some guys on a boat trolling . Its kinda wild that everything has disappeared!! Thats in different lakes and rivers. Crazy I tell ya.
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 11/10/2020 7:12 AM (#968786 - in reply to #968780)

Muskyrookie - 11/9/2020 11:47 PM

I've been tossing the 6.8 and 7.8 keitechs this year. I haven't even seen a fish follow them but they look good when they swim and cast pretty nice. I have been using them on 3/4 and 1oz jig heads ( strike king and vmc) and also on gamakatsu beast 12/0 swimbait hooks, and vmc 11/0 weighted underspin hooks. With the jig heads they have good size hooks but if they bite from behind it'll be iffy if they get it or just bite the tail off but the other hooks cover alot more area (see them and you'll know what I mean) anything other than a nip at the tail and they will taste metal. I've also used some bass pro shop 6"ers with those jig heads and they all work just fine functionally. Another option is made by river to sea dwalker. I got the 100 and 120 size this year for bass swim jigs. They have a full fish with head and eyes. I would say to look for jig heads with a stout big hooks not the kind they sell at bait shops cheap. Those usually have weak wire hooks that will bend if you sneeze on them. The good ones will be pricey but what isn't with this fish? These are some options that might help ya out.

Have you been out lately? Nearly 2 straight weeks of 60s and 70s. With blue bird skies. The water is nice and cool though. I've been out a half dozen times and seen 1 bass and a couple hundred minnows. Not anything else going on except a few trout from some guys on a boat trolling . Its kinda wild that everything has disappeared!! Thats in different lakes and rivers. Crazy I tell ya.

I actually just caught my pb trout! A 25 and a half inch rainbow that weighed 10 pounds. However, i have not been out for musky as of lately, I am more or less waiting till I work up 500 bucks for my tranx and st. croix rod. There´s absolutely no way you will see me quit the grind of musky fishing, any time soon atleast!
Muskyrookie
Posted 11/10/2020 10:25 AM (#968790 - in reply to #968786)

Sweet on the trout!!! I caught my pb largemouth bass earlier this year going for musky. About 30 inches long and easily 10+lbs. Possibly a new state record, but I wasn't going to kill him just for some egotistical satisfaction. It was truly a tank!!! Fat and built solid like a carp. Glad I caught him on a musky rod because he could have easily snapped my bass rod, he hit it like a freight train. What setup have you decided to put together?
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 11/10/2020 10:32 AM (#968791 - in reply to #968790)

Well this new setup will be a tranx 300 High speed, spooled with 40 or 65 lb braid (cant decide), and a st. croix premier medium heavy 8´0 with a lure rating of 3/4 to 3 oz. Ill be throwing mid size gliders, bigger jerkbaits, swimbaits, jigs and creatures and just any smaller baits! This is my first big, big purchase into musky fishing, because i went somewhat budget for my first setup.

Muskyrookie
Posted 11/10/2020 11:20 AM (#968792 - in reply to #968791)

Should be a nice setup. I would suggest the 65lb for line. It is better for snapoffs and abrasion. You'd be surprised what even weeds can do to braid. A little more peace of mind when you do hook into one especially around any type of cover like wood and rocks.
Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 11/10/2020 11:23 AM (#968793 - in reply to #968792)

Muskyrookie - 11/10/2020 11:20 AM

Should be a nice setup. I would suggest the 65lb for line. It is better for snapoffs and abrasion. You'd be surprised what even weeds can do to braid. A little more peace of mind when you do hook into one especially around any type of cover like wood and rocks.

I still have yet to get a musky, I am a bank yanker and around me it is tigers only. In any case, I been really trying hard.
Muskyrookie
Posted 11/10/2020 12:12 PM (#968795 - in reply to #968793)

Fishing from the banks you definitely want the added protection and strength. Im in Pittsburgh and around here we have both tigers and naturals. Don't think you won't find tigers in the 45+ range they have been stocking them since the 90s. Thats a long time for growth and travel within our streams and river systems. I've only got one so far myself having put a couple hundred hours in, believe me I know how frustrating it can be. I just keep thinking that I can't catch one with my lure in my box and keep casting, and then cast some more, and some more lol ?? it also helps knowing tournaments with dozens of people on boats over 2 days only getting a few between them as well. We aren't the only ones, it's a tough fish! Add to that all the extra pressure from this year's newbies on kayaks and boats and you're better off fishing in your bath tub. Good luck
Mojo1269
Posted 11/10/2020 1:10 PM (#968797 - in reply to #968795)

My go to bass style swim baits are made by MC Tackle out of California. They make a great paddle tail but where they shine are there weedless baits. They come in 6, 7 and 9 inches. Each size is designed to work with a specific size weighted Trokar swim-bait hook. They work awesome in open water and getting through the junk....

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MC_Swimbaits_9_Weedless_Swimbait/des...
Patricktf
Posted 1/6/2021 6:17 PM (#973228 - in reply to #968321)

I caught my trophy tiger musky on a 5” mike bucca bull shad that I colored with permanent marker in a bluegill color.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)