Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Rigging bluegills/perch

Message Subject: Rigging bluegills/perch
jamesb
Posted 9/16/2020 2:55 PM (#966319)
Subject: Rigging bluegills/perch

Just wondering what the best way to rig these are ... thinking of trying instead of using suckers.
IAJustin
Posted 9/16/2020 3:32 PM (#966320 - in reply to #966319)
Subject: Re: Rigging bluegills/perch

7/O circle hook, 2 Oz of weight. nice 9 ft fiberglass rod ...throw out in front of a big log jam on a river bend....best way to rig a bluegill for sure!
pstrombe
Posted 9/16/2020 3:41 PM (#966322 - in reply to #966319)

I have only used gills for flatheads using a circle hook in the hump behind the head. As I understand it this practice is not legal in MN. Likely legal in WI but you could be harassed for wanton waste. You will note anglers using pike for bait in the recent videos state on camera they will be taking the pike home.
ghoti
Posted 9/17/2020 9:46 AM (#966345 - in reply to #966319)
Subject: RE: Rigging bluegills/perch

With the rising prices on suckers, I'll bet a lot more will be trying it this year.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/17/2020 10:00 AM (#966347 - in reply to #966319)

I've gone to a big (6/0 - 9/0) Kahle hook for my bluegills for big flatheads, and my hookups have improved. I do still miss a few fish and some days are streaky as always, but I get the fun of setting the hook immediately. I like the thinner wire and wider gap, less stress on the bluegill, easier to keep bait hooked, which equates to livelier bait, while allowing for the use of bigger bait. They are tough to, as we boated flat-heads of 50 and 60lbs this year on this style hook, with no failure to bend/gap. I used bluegills, sheepshead, crappies, whitebass, and most any other easy to catch winnebego system bait on them. When rigging this style bait for Musky, it is what I plan to use this fall in stationary situations. For lip hooking/dragging the bait, a small trout hook through the nose and treble through the back type quickset rig will still be best. I'm still in awe at how tough and resilient bluegills are compared to whitebass, perch, and even suckers.
North of 8
Posted 9/17/2020 1:12 PM (#966361 - in reply to #966347)

Reef Hawg - 9/17/2020 10:00 AM

I've gone to a big (6/0 - 9/0) Kahle hook for my bluegills for big flatheads, and my hookups have improved. I do still miss a few fish and some days are streaky as always, but I get the fun of setting the hook immediately. I like the thinner wire and wider gap, less stress on the bluegill, easier to keep bait hooked, which equates to livelier bait, while allowing for the use of bigger bait. They are tough to, as we boated flat-heads of 50 and 60lbs this year on this style hook, with no failure to bend/gap. I used bluegills, sheepshead, crappies, whitebass, and most any other easy to catch winnebego system bait on them. When rigging this style bait for Musky, it is what I plan to use this fall in stationary situations. For lip hooking/dragging the bait, a small trout hook through the nose and treble through the back type quickset rig will still be best. I'm still in awe at how tough and resilient bluegills are compared to whitebass, perch, and even suckers.

Last fall, with the price of suckers, I went to a spot that holds perch and caught a nice 10" perch, which like most perch on our lake had some sort of parasite. I rigged it with a single treble quick strike rig but I don't think it lasted more than an hour. So maybe that is the norm for perch? Had never used perch before and have had suckers not much larger last all day and even put back in my live box for use the next day.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/17/2020 5:58 PM (#966369 - in reply to #966361)

North of 8 - 9/17/2020 1:12 PM

Reef Hawg - 9/17/2020 10:00 AM

Last fall, with the price of suckers, I went to a spot that holds perch and caught a nice 10" perch, which like most perch on our lake had some sort of parasite. I rigged it with a single treble quick strike rig but I don't think it lasted more than an hour. So maybe that is the norm for perch? Had never used perch before and have had suckers not much larger last all day and even put back in my live box for use the next day.

Not lasting an hour is usually a good thing..

In reality, perch don't typically do well in livewells and quicksets. They make better turds than livebait.
North of 8
Posted 9/17/2020 6:14 PM (#966372 - in reply to #966369)

lol, yeah should have said it only lived for an hour before going belly up. Really thought it might work, nice fat perch, real lively for the first 15 minutes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)