Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Telescoping Rods

Message Subject: Telescoping Rods
David_Bily
Posted 8/26/2020 12:17 PM (#965650)
Subject: Telescoping Rods

Hi guys & gals,

I'm missing a very large percentage of fish boatside this year. They don't even go into the eight most of the time and if they do, they don't stay long. I've convinced myself that I need a longer rod and that will fix my problem. Currently, the longest rod I have is 7.5 feet. I keep my boat in the water and transport my stuff back and forth. The longest rod I can fit in my vehicle and rod locker is 7.5 feet. So I'm thing about purchasing a telescoping rod that collapses to 7.5 feet and expands to 9 feet. I'm leaning towards Tackle Industries because I have some of their rods, they have stood the test of time, they offer a lot of rod for the money and I like to give James my business. He's a great guy to work with. I'm wondering if there are any issues with telescoping rods in general? Are they prone to not collapsing once they've been expanded? Do they "freeze up" in freezing weather? Any information on problems and preferences is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
North of 8
Posted 8/26/2020 12:24 PM (#965651 - in reply to #965650)
Subject: RE: Telescoping Rods

David_Bily - 8/26/2020 12:17 PM

Hi guys & gals,

I'm missing a very large percentage of fish boatside this year. They don't even go into the eight most of the time and if they do, they don't stay long. I've convinced myself that I need a longer rod and that will fix my problem. Currently, the longest rod I have is 7.5 feet. I keep my boat in the water and transport my stuff back and forth. The longest rod I can fit in my vehicle and rod locker is 7.5 feet. So I'm thing about purchasing a telescoping rod that collapses to 7.5 feet and expands to 9 feet. I'm leaning towards Tackle Industries because I have some of their rods, they have stood the test of time, they offer a lot of rod for the money and I like to give James my business. He's a great guy to work with. I'm wondering if there are any issues with telescoping rods in general? Are they prone to not collapsing once they've been expanded? Do they "freeze up" in freezing weather? Any information on problems and preferences is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I have a number of telescoping rods, Okuma and TI, and have not had any issues with them. I have used in 25 degree weather without a problem. Did have an Okuma that did not want to collapse one time (very hot day), think it got some fine grit in the area where the two pieces join but poured some cold water on it and tapped the butt firmly on the dock and it finally moved. One thing I try and always do when collapsing a rod is to take a dry cloth and wipe the rod from the joint upwards for a couple feet. That way any dirt or water is less likely to enter the butt area and cause an issue later. Salesman at the Musky Shop suggested that when I bought my first one.
TCESOX
Posted 8/26/2020 4:56 PM (#965663 - in reply to #965650)
Subject: Re: Telescoping Rods

No problems over the last 7 or 8 years, with telescoping rods from TI, Shimano, Okuma, and Fenwick.
joh10891
Posted 8/26/2020 6:35 PM (#965666 - in reply to #965650)
Subject: RE: Telescoping Rods

I know most folks seem to like telescoping rods a lot (they certainly seem to be becoming more popular). I don't mean to disagree with their experiences, but personally I've had nothing but trouble. Not gonna name any brands, and it's been nothing catastrophic. It's not like they've failed on a fish or anything. But water tends to collect inside the handle tubular part, and it makes it difficult to retreact, and in sub-freezing temps I've had the rods freeze crooked, and be extremely difficult to straighten out or retract.
In my opinion, 1 piece rods are great if size/trasportation isn't an issue, 2 piece rods are great for easy transport/storage and I've had zero issues with 2pc rods, but telescoping rods seem to offer a marginal length-savings at the cost of a big hassle. Your mileage may vary. Given your 7.5ft rod locker, a telescoping rod may be the perfect fit.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/26/2020 7:18 PM (#965669 - in reply to #965666)

Thank you for the kind words Just an FYI but TI will have the all NEW TI PRO Revolution 9ft telescopic rods ready to got in the next 5 days! These have the new PRO Blanks on the, WINN grips and the new Revolution reel seats on the. Just thought I would drop this here since this is about TI telescopic rods thanks
Fish4muskie
Posted 8/29/2020 12:27 PM (#965734 - in reply to #965650)

Love my TI 9’ telescopic. Been using it for 3 years with no issues but I haven’t fished In freezing temps.
sukrchukr
Posted 8/29/2020 4:31 PM (#965740 - in reply to #965650)

Im all about getting a new rod anytime I can.....But is an 18" longer rod gonna make a big diff?? IDK
is it something you may be doing? Im not meaning to sound like a smarty.... just saying that Ive seen ppl jump up and down, scream, make big movements whenever they see a follow...and the fish turns right off.... maybe wear a gray colored shirt on a cloudy day and a blueish shirt on a sunny day as well, and try not to move anymore than needed.....maybe you`re on a lake thats really pressured and no matter what you do, its gonna be tough in the 8...
just a thought.......... TI makes some great stuff and Im sure you`ll be happy with their products
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/30/2020 9:37 AM (#965760 - in reply to #965740)

I personally do like the longer rods but LOL when I do get to fish, I usually use a 9ft rod. I am 5-10 so it works for me well. If I were 6+ a 10ft or 106 rod would be a dream. I have a few customers that are over 6'5" and they have a hard time fishing with a 9ft rod but a 106.....they are extremely happy with those rods.

sukrchukr - 8/29/2020 4:31 PM

Im all about getting a new rod anytime I can.....But is an 18" longer rod gonna make a big diff?? IDK
is it something you may be doing? Im not meaning to sound like a smarty.... just saying that Ive seen ppl jump up and down, scream, make big movements whenever they see a follow...and the fish turns right off.... maybe wear a gray colored shirt on a cloudy day and a blueish shirt on a sunny day as well, and try not to move anymore than needed.....maybe you`re on a lake thats really pressured and no matter what you do, its gonna be tough in the 8...
just a thought.......... TI makes some great stuff and Im sure you`ll be happy with their products
sukrchukr
Posted 8/30/2020 10:06 AM (#965762 - in reply to #965650)

I understand what you`re saying TI and agree 100% with you...personal choice based on youre specific size. The OP was thinking it might help his boatside success... and it sure might.....but years ago a 7`6" rod was considered long and I didnt hear ppl saying it hurt their boatside catches. Like I said youre company makes great stuff and Im all for buying a new rod whenever I can..... was just saying maybe some other things to think about might help his boatside success as well
David_Bily
Posted 8/31/2020 9:18 AM (#965811 - in reply to #965762)

Sukrchukr and others,
You may be right about a problem with my boat-side maneuvers. Thirty years ago, when I first started fishing Leech Lake, I had a similar problem with follows. Fish would toilet-bowl about 5 -7 feet out from the boat. I eventually came to the conclusion that movements caused by bending at the waist and knees were the cause of my problems and resolved to remain as stiff as a board while the fish could see me. That practice has served me well through the years but something similar could have found its way back into my eight. The thought has crossed my mind more than once during the past six weeks.
Leech does get some pressure. I would describe that pressure as moderate and in particular I would say the area where I spend most of my time usually receives fairly light pressure. Like many lakes, Leech has seen the introduction of some invasive species in recent years including zebra mussels about five years ago. I honestly can’t say I’ve noticed a change in water clarity. In particular this summer has been pretty warm and there seems to be abundant algae and the water has plenty of color.
Finally, with respect to attire, I know this is something that is important to some. Quite frankly, I never paid much attention to the color of my T-shirts until the follows started mounting. Then, I re-visited everything and started wearing blue and gray T-shirts. That hasn’t helped one bit.
A longer rod may not solve my problem but I feel as thought it can’t hurt my eights. I ‘ve never really been satisfied with my figure eights. They always seem to be too “tight.” Too much turning in too little space, and I have to bring lures (topwaters in particular) too close to the boat to maximize the size each loop. Thanks for your input guys.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)