Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Is COVID going to drive a rush on lakehouses?

Message Subject: Is COVID going to drive a rush on lakehouses?
SummerSchool
Posted 7/27/2020 10:48 AM (#964720)
Subject: Is COVID going to drive a rush on lakehouses?

I was thinking that families might look for a place to use/go where they can enjoy the outdoors and socially distance. Maybe we'll get an increase in the amount of kids interested in fishing. Thoughts?
North of 8
Posted 7/27/2020 11:12 AM (#964721 - in reply to #964720)
Subject: RE: Is COVID going to drive a rush on lakehouses?

SummerSchool - 7/27/2020 10:48 AM

I was thinking that families might look for a place to use/go where they can enjoy the outdoors and socially distance. Maybe we'll get an increase in the amount of kids interested in fishing. Thoughts?

License sales are up in WI. Kids under 16 don't need a license, so that is not a good indicator but if dad/mom are going fishing, probably taking kids too. Personal observation living on a chain in Oneida County is I have seen more people fishing and more with kids than any other year in the 17 we have had a place here. My son teaches PE in a school in Milwaukee with largely Hispanic student body. He did an online section on fishing when schools went virtual and most of his kids had not been fishing but were very interested and a number said they were going to give it a try. Something they could do away from people and still be outside.
MartinTD
Posted 7/27/2020 11:13 AM (#964722 - in reply to #964720)
Subject: Re: Is COVID going to drive a rush on lakehouses?

From what I've seen the opposite is happening. I can't speak of lake homes but I know there are a lot of permanent camp sites available right now in Northern Wisconsin at private campgrounds that previously had years long waiting lists. A lot of uncertainty with the market right now is driving it. If Biden gets elected there will be even more available as the economy will most certainly go into recession and rates will take a steep hike.

Edited by MartinTD 7/27/2020 11:15 AM
MuskyTime
Posted 7/27/2020 11:40 AM (#964724 - in reply to #964720)
Subject: RE: Is COVID going to drive a rush on lakehouses?

From what I have seen, yes. My brother sold his cabin and the realtor said he could have sold it four times over. Lake homes, boats, anything outdoors related is selling like hot cakes.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/27/2020 11:49 AM (#964725 - in reply to #964724)

Well the lakes up here are packed beyond belief and houses are selling fast so yeah...I can see that happening. I'm looking into buying a cabin for myself.
North of 8
Posted 7/27/2020 12:03 PM (#964726 - in reply to #964722)

MartinTD - 7/27/2020 11:13 AM

From what I've seen the opposite is happening. I can't speak of lake homes but I know there are a lot of permanent camp sites available right now in Northern Wisconsin at private campgrounds that previously had years long waiting lists. A lot of uncertainty with the market right now is driving it. If Biden gets elected there will be even more available as the economy will most certainly go into recession and rates will take a steep hike.

The private campground on the chain where I live is booming, best year ever. Same with the mom and pop resorts that remain on the chain. May and early June were tough but since then it has been popping.
happy hooker
Posted 7/27/2020 12:10 PM (#964727 - in reply to #964726)

I'm guessing deodorant sales are down because of social distancing
Ernie
Posted 7/27/2020 1:16 PM (#964729 - in reply to #964720)

Boat sales were up 75% year over year in May on a national basis. RV sales are up big. Golf courses are packed. Bike sales are brisk. Same for cabins.

People are fleeing the virus and violence and interest rates are incredibly low. Multiple offers in many situations.
vegas492
Posted 7/27/2020 1:23 PM (#964730 - in reply to #964720)

Its a sellers market, for sure.
dfkiii
Posted 7/27/2020 4:39 PM (#964738 - in reply to #964720)

Real estate is booming in the Hayward lakes area for lake homes and cabins. People are discovering that if the are going to be working from home, they can do the same from northern Wisconsin / Minnesota. Broadband internet access is a must, and rules out a number of properties.
TCESOX
Posted 7/27/2020 4:45 PM (#964739 - in reply to #964720)

Minnesota has no license requirement for those under 16, and those 18 and over need a regular adult license, so even though those licenses have gone way up in numbers, they don't give an indication of age groups. However, we do have a $5 license requirement for those 16 and 17, and those licenses are up over 200% last I heard, so that is an indication of more youth fishing.
North of 8
Posted 7/27/2020 5:11 PM (#964742 - in reply to #964738)

dfkiii - 7/27/2020 4:39 PM

Real estate is booming in the Hayward lakes area for lake homes and cabins. People are discovering that if the are going to be working from home, they can do the same from northern Wisconsin / Minnesota. Broadband internet access is a must, and rules out a number of properties.

Couple of places near me that normally are used a full week or two and a couple weekends a year, where the adult children of the owners are spending a big chunk of the summer, working online. I think that if the remote work model becomes more common, you will more people moving to northern WI. Broadband is a barrier but there has been an effort for some time to make it more available. The Blue Cross/ Blue Shield center in Fond du Lac has had processors work from home over 20 years ago. I would not want to own high priced office space in a major city. Read an estimate where they project 20-25% of folks working on Wall Street will continue to work from home when the pandemic is over. Same thing is happening in Silicon Valley.
ToddM
Posted 7/27/2020 6:10 PM (#964745 - in reply to #964720)

My son has a small ranch in Colorado. The couple also owned another house about 750 feet down and 4 acres. They are now in a rush to fix it up and sell, people are buying rural property site unseen.
Junkman
Posted 7/27/2020 10:07 PM (#964757 - in reply to #964720)

Here’s a real example. Put my Eagle River cabin up for sale a few weeks ago. I left town for a week and learned the place was swarming with lookers. By the time I returned there was four offers, three at or above asking. After accepting the best one, a fifth offer asked to be kept on standby just in case. Yeah, I would say it’s pretty hot.
stdevos
Posted 7/29/2020 10:38 AM (#964803 - in reply to #964722)

MartinTD - 7/27/2020 11:13 AM From what I've seen the opposite is happening. I can't speak of lake homes but I know there are a lot of permanent camp sites available right now in Northern Wisconsin at private campgrounds that previously had years long waiting lists. A lot of uncertainty with the market right now is driving it. If Biden gets elected there will be even more available as the economy will most certainly go into recession and rates will take a steep hike.

I think you are way off the mark. I've been running up north more than I ever before and camping. Campgrounds are fuller than I've ever seen before and I've been running up there a couple times a year for the last 20. Just think about it, everybody's fishing and family summer vacation plans have completely fallen apart. Camping or staying at your cabin is about one of the safest things you can do. 

jtmenard
Posted 7/29/2020 11:25 AM (#964806 - in reply to #964803)

As I'm sitting here writing this from my parent's cabin working from home rather than in Woodbury, I'd say yes. More people are staying at their cabins because they can work from anywhere. The lake cabin neighbor's kid can to northern WI from SC for the entire summer because he can wfh anywhere.

They don't seem to be putting them on the market either since they have more time to spend at them and there are fewer other activities (kids sports, etc.)
sworrall
Posted 7/29/2020 11:38 AM (#964808 - in reply to #964720)

I have my ride in for a service bulletin, and the dealer in Minocqua told me he's selling boats, docks, and lifts to new cabin owners at a surprising rate.
MartinTD
Posted 7/29/2020 12:04 PM (#964809 - in reply to #964803)

stdevos - 7/29/2020 10:38 AM

MartinTD - 7/27/2020 11:13 AM From what I've seen the opposite is happening. I can't speak of lake homes but I know there are a lot of permanent camp sites available right now in Northern Wisconsin at private campgrounds that previously had years long waiting lists. A lot of uncertainty with the market right now is driving it. If Biden gets elected there will be even more available as the economy will most certainly go into recession and rates will take a steep hike.

I think you are way off the mark. I've been running up north more than I ever before and camping. Campgrounds are fuller than I've ever seen before and I've been running up there a couple times a year for the last 20. Just think about it, everybody's fishing and family summer vacation plans have completely fallen apart. Camping or staying at your cabin is about one of the safest things you can do. 

Apparently so. I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong once in a while. I was speaking specifically of Madeline Lake Campground in Oneida county where my in-laws have a permanent site. I have been up there a couple of times this year and there are more campers and sites for sale then ever before. Not sure why that is I guess. My wife is a mortgage lender and she is seeing a lot of people refinancing with the rates so low but has had several buyers back out of new home purchases because of the uncertainty with the economy. I fully agree that outdoors items like pools, trampolines, kayaks are sold out everywhere because of the pandemic. However, my impression was people are not making the big ticket purchases if Covid has affected their employment in any way.

Edited by MartinTD 7/29/2020 12:06 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 7/29/2020 12:19 PM (#964810 - in reply to #964720)

I'd say it's a short term trend, led mostly by the folks who have the money to make it happen, and the kind of jobs where you can work remotely. I have several friends who literally fled the city when the #*#* started hitting the fan. They've all gone on to rural settings, and I don't believe they will ever come back.

On the other side of that, though... What happens to the 50 Million who filed for unemployment, 60% of whom are collecting more money from the government than they earned before? When the wheels fall of THAT gravy train, and only 30 million of those jobs actually come back, I don't see a lot of fishing, cabins, boats/etc. in those folks future.
North of 8
Posted 7/29/2020 12:29 PM (#964811 - in reply to #964810)

esoxaddict - 7/29/2020 12:19 PM

I'd say it's a short term trend, led mostly by the folks who have the money to make it happen, and the kind of jobs where you can work remotely. I have several friends who literally fled the city when the #*#* started hitting the fan. They've all gone on to rural settings, and I don't believe they will ever come back.

On the other side of that, though... What happens to the 50 Million who filed for unemployment, 60% of whom are collecting more money from the government than they earned before? When the wheels fall of THAT gravy train, and only 30 million of those jobs actually come back, I don't see a lot of fishing, cabins, boats/etc. in those folks future.

No, but those folks probably were not buying cabins even if nothing had happened. I think the difference is that folks who might have been traveling to Europe, Alaska, etc. on expensive vacations are buying property for recreation instead of travel.
dfkiii
Posted 7/29/2020 6:36 PM (#964827 - in reply to #964811)

North of 8 - 7/29/2020 12:29 PM

esoxaddict - 7/29/2020 12:19 PM

No, but those folks probably were not buying cabins even if nothing had happened. I think the difference is that folks who might have been traveling to Europe, Alaska, etc. on expensive vacations are buying property for recreation instead of travel.

North is right.

Regardless of who you are, an extra $600 rarely springboards you into affording recreational real estate. If folks are buying, it’s because they can afford it regardless of the state of the economy.
BassThumb
Posted 7/30/2020 10:57 AM (#964858 - in reply to #964720)

AirBNB and VRBO along with historically low interest rates does more to drive lakeshore sales than any pandemic ever will.
dfkiii
Posted 7/30/2020 4:12 PM (#964872 - in reply to #964858)

BassThumb - 7/30/2020 10:57 AM

AirBNB and VRBO along with historically low interest rates does more to drive lakeshore sales than any pandemic ever will.

Maybe. There’s a VRBO property down the shore a few properties and I know the owners whose property is adjacent to it are ready to sell because they are sick of having the citiot renters let their dogs run loose and make noise until all hours of the night. They are an older, retired couple, but I certainly see their point.

VRBO can take credit for that sale if it comes to fruition.
djwilliams
Posted 8/15/2020 1:39 AM (#965320 - in reply to #964720)

Where I have a seasonal the resort owners say they are doing the best they have ever done and it was only the end of July. I look at a lot of homes, cabins and land for sale in northern Mn online, and prices for all of those seem quite a lot higher.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)