Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Hope is not a Strategy

Message Subject: Hope is not a Strategy
labdog
Posted 7/26/2020 6:24 AM (#963696)
Subject: Hope is not a Strategy

Haven’t posted in awhile but had one of those experiences yesterday morning. So haven’t seen much in the past few weekends due to probably boat traffic up on my Vilas County lake. Morning started at 530 , first drift 30th cast had a mid 30’ s snarled up behind my psycho sister. Good sign, also water temps dipped from the 78-80 to a nice 73-74. Next spot casting a prototype spinner crushed a few Lmbs on my way to raising another mid 30’s right on the bait but that south wind was toying with my figure 8. Moonrise was I think 10 so I had some time to kill so I usually have some some jig plastics so time for a little breather with some limbs or walleyes . As get set on a deep weed edge I feel the famous tick. And set the hook and IT doesn’t move, I’m like this is a big walleye or big LMB. Then, it starts to move so I take some pressure off and 20’ this tank 47-49” ski goes vertical and does a complete bass like flip with my 1/8 oz jig n plastic in the corner of its mouth. I’m like here we go, let her take command as you only have 6# p-line and it’s finesse time. The fish starts moving toward the boat as I use my other hand to grab my big Beckman to get in landing position. She goes around my trolling motor and starts to head to deeper water so I get ready to do a slow follow with my terrova on a slow crawl . So she’s 10’off the bow and I put a little pressure to bring her closer to the boat and she goes vertical again and spits the 1/8 oz jig n plastic . Ha ha, I’m like what the heck just happened

Hope is not a Strategy....Closing is
This is why we play the game. Round 2 battle today

Let’s hear your best one that got away story.

mikie
Posted 7/26/2020 10:35 AM (#964697 - in reply to #963696)
Subject: Re: Hope is not a Strategy

Hope is not a Strategy??? It's our national COVID policy at present. m
Jeremy
Posted 7/26/2020 6:40 PM (#964706 - in reply to #963696)

Excellent story Pete...sometimes stuff like that happens and it makes you wonder why we throw the big stuff.
labdog
Posted 7/27/2020 5:54 AM (#964712 - in reply to #963696)

Thank Jeremy. Its one of those experiences where that fish will now haunt me-but she's waypointed. I had visions of heading to LAX that day and flagging down another boat to snap the pics as the battle went on. Also, when I ran my thumb and forefinger to check the line after there wasn't one nick or fray or bend on that 1/8 jig. Round 2 was a washout, some nice monsoons running through Northern WI.

The funny thing is that my first fish this year was a 40" Tiger that hit a similar set-up earlier this year walleye fishing some emerging cabbage- another finesse/downsize landing. That one came straight toward the boat and I landed her with a smaller Beckman and those nice stripes curled around the base of the net.

Bottomline is I'm always learning something out on the water. That was a 14' weed edge packed with sandgrass. Time to back off a cast length and start working a Creature to probe that area when you get that small temp dip/front as the next strategy and gotta close boatside...
Broc
Posted 8/10/2020 10:44 PM (#965109 - in reply to #963696)
Subject: RE: Hope is not a Strategy

ive known of some walleye guys who have hooked into some big muskies while jigging minnows. my uncle caught a 53" that way.
Mudpuppy
Posted 8/11/2020 9:10 AM (#965113 - in reply to #965109)

Hope is the ultimate strategy, its what keeps us coming back. If you have no hope musky fishing is not your game. Period. Hope is all we have.

Mudpuppy
stephendawg
Posted 8/11/2020 1:29 PM (#965141 - in reply to #965113)

Mudpuppy - 8/11/2020 10:10 PM Hope is the ultimate strategy, its what keeps us coming back. If you have no hope musky fishing is not your game. Period. Hope is all we have. Mudpuppy

I agree. Everything from majors to minors to wind change to cloud cover change to bait moving is what keeps me casting. I can see a fish and it never bites but if one of these previously mentioned things occurs it gives me "hope" that other things (fish biting) are about to change.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)