Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Knipex 6 1/4" bolt cutters

Message Subject: Knipex 6 1/4" bolt cutters
MKevin
Posted 7/5/2020 2:45 PM (#963041)
Subject: Knipex 6 1/4" bolt cutters

I was looking to buy 8" Knipex bolt cutters and ordered the 6 1/4 by mistake. Just got them today and it was obvious at the moment those were not what I was looking for. My first thought was will they even cut through Muskie sized hooks at that size so I just destroyed a treble into a a jigsaw puzzle with no effort at all so that was nice...

It only took a couple of minutes though to start wondering if Im even going to be able to get to the hooks at that size of cutters. I've never had to use cutters before on a fish as I was mostly targeting Northerns and they rarely grow over 15 pounds over here.

I finally got to buy the cutters out of fear as I mostly fish from a Yak and getting hooked to a fish could actually kill me. I'm positive those are long enough to save myself if I ever get hooked to a Muskie, Im just not sure if they could be useful for actually saving a fish? In what part of the Muskie do you mostly use your cutters? Do you often have to go deep or mostly use them to cut through secondary hooks?

Keep in mind all my hooks are either pinched or filed off... Fishing alone most of the time, I'd rather lose a fish here and there than risking tipping over because I cant get the hooks out easily while keeping the fish in the water...
Rob C
Posted 7/5/2020 5:27 PM (#963048 - in reply to #963041)
Subject: Re: Knipex 6 1/4" bolt cutters

I always cut the hooks out of a deeply hooked fish, a fish has multiple treble points pinning the mouth shut, more than a one treble in the fish or if I am in a situation where I could conceivably get hooked myself (thrashing fish with big trebles).

Cutting the hooks in those situations definitely helps prevent delayed mortality and with preventing getting yourself stuck to the fish.
RyanJoz
Posted 7/6/2020 1:44 PM (#963086 - in reply to #963041)

i use the 10" version (cobolt xl). no way i would use the short version for the same reason you stated. There is no way you're cutting hooks inside a fish's mouth without doing major damage to your hand.
MKevin
Posted 7/6/2020 3:30 PM (#963087 - in reply to #963041)

That's what I thought... No biggie I'll just order the bigger ones and keep both on the boat. The smaller ones might be more easy to handle if I hook myself and I'll use the bigger ones when I need them. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the replies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)